Metroplex
Sponsored by

Have you received your Denton County tax appraisal?

4,461 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jpd301
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious if anyone in Denton Co. has received theirs yet.
danieljustin06
AG
I have not yet.
AirplaneAg09
AG
Nothing for me yet either.
TXAggieMom11
I just read on Nextdoor they will be mailed on 5/14. It is delayed due to software changes and damage from frozen pipes in February.
Rubble
AG
I got something in the mail that said we have until the 15th to file for protests. If they don't mail them until the 14th, how's that gonna work?
Robert C. Christian
AG
Rubble said:

I got something in the mail that said we have until the 15th to file for protests. If they don't mail them until the 14th, how's that gonna work?

May 15th is the deadline or 30 days after you receive your appraisal, which ever is latest.

From: https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/property-tax/protests/faq.php

Quote:

File your notice of protest by May 15 or no later than 30 days after the appraisal district mailed a notice of appraised value to you, whichever date is later. Note that it is 30 days after mailing the notice, not its receipt. If you are an off-shore worker or on full-time military duty, you may be entitled to file a late protest.
OKC~Ag
Actually called them... they haven't mailed out yet but coming soon.
Shooter McGavin
AG
I wouldn't wait for the mail. Just check their website daily. It will have your proposed value there when they turn it loose.
jpd301
AG
TXAggieMom11 said:

I just read on Nextdoor they will be mailed on 5/14. It is delayed due to software changes and damage from frozen pipes in February.
Software changes is an understatement... make sure you review your data.

Quote:

The original conversion time was estimated to be four weeks, but the data was so inaccurate and cryptic that it instead took the software company four months. Four months in our industry might as well have been a lifetime. Our software finally came back on line in January of 2021, but the issues did not stop there. As hard as the software company tried, they could not transfer all the data back over in its original form. So now our staff (who were already four months behind) are having to go in and manually calculate roughly 480,000 accounts in Denton County, while looking for errors and making corrections. They are redoing thousands of sketches that got deleted, rebuilding tables and schedules that could not be converted, and redoing exemptions that got left off in the transfer. The list is endless.

I tell you all that to say, 2021 is not going to be an easy year for the Denton Central Appraisal District. It will be bumpy and we will be behind schedule. In the last 15 months, we have hired 45 temp employees, 22 full time employees and promoted 10 employees. We have hired database administrators, software programmers and we are contracting with a company that specializes in cleaning up data. Every employee is working a minimum 50 hour week, exempt employees are working 60-70 hour weeks. Things will get done and will get cleaned up, but we still have some challenges to overcome.

Rubble
AG
jpd301 said:

TXAggieMom11 said:

Software changes is an understatement... make sure you review your data.

Quote:

The original conversion time was estimated to be four weeks, but the data was so inaccurate and cryptic that it instead took the software company four months. Four months in our industry might as well have been a lifetime. Our software finally came back on line in January of 2021, but the issues did not stop there. As hard as the software company tried, they could not transfer all the data back over in its original form. So now our staff (who were already four months behind) are having to go in and manually calculate roughly 480,000 accounts in Denton County, while looking for errors and making corrections. They are redoing thousands of sketches that got deleted, rebuilding tables and schedules that could not be converted, and redoing exemptions that got left off in the transfer. The list is endless.

I tell you all that to say, 2021 is not going to be an easy year for the Denton Central Appraisal District. It will be bumpy and we will be behind schedule. In the last 15 months, we have hired 45 temp employees, 22 full time employees and promoted 10 employees. We have hired database administrators, software programmers and we are contracting with a company that specializes in cleaning up data. Every employee is working a minimum 50 hour week, exempt employees are working 60-70 hour weeks. Things will get done and will get cleaned up, but we still have some challenges to overcome.

Wow!!! They should just say **** it, no one goes up this year because our new software company sucks. Make them pay for our increases!!
Rubble
AG
But, at least Denton county leads the nation in covid vaccines per capita, or at least close
bco2003
AG
I considered Denton County's old system one of the better CAD databases across Texas. The only issue I had with it was viewing the map on a mobile was a pain. Everything else was great.

Not a huge fan of the new system.
agchino
AG
Anybody know if there is a cheap DIY protest report like jubally.com for North Texas?
Maverick06
AG
Got mine today. Wish they would have waited until Monday. $86k increase
Spaceship
AG
My appraised value went down $4k this year, and I'm in a desirable neighborhood that's seen a lot of appreciation. Not that I'm complaining but how is this possible?
BosAG06
AG
Up 57k. Wow
AirplaneAg09
AG
Up 23K here.
bco2003
AG
Those of you who have your 2021 assessments, are they showing-up on the CAD's website? All of my 2021 values are showing-up as N/A on the website, but I haven't received the updated numbers in the mail either.

https://propaccess.trueautomation.com/clientdb/?cid=19
MW03
AG
No mail yet, and N/A online here too
BosAG06
AG
Just online. It says they were mailed on the 14th so you should get it this week.

https://www.dentoncad.com/
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
Mine is up $47K this year; I'm documenting the hell out of my old home to dispute.
2wealfth Man
AG
I got raised by 6% but have this weird change where the value of the land was increased $20K and the value of the property was decreased by about half that. I would rather have more appraised value on the building so I can protest condition, etc.

This is my first go around with Denton County; I guess they don't use the condition qualifiers (good, excellent, fair, etc.) like Dallas County.?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Just opened ours.

Riddle me this..... We have 2 seperate appraisals, one for the land, and one for the house. The land value went up $1,000 and the home value less than $1,000.

However, on the land appraisal they added $77,000 in "structures and out buildings". We haven't put anything new on the property. How do they take structures and out buildings from $0 to $77,000 when nothing has been built or added on to the property?
jpd301
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Just opened ours.

Riddle me this..... We have 2 seperate appraisals, one for the land, and one for the house. The land value went up $1,000 and the home value less than $1,000.

However, on the land appraisal they added $77,000 in "structures and out buildings". We haven't put anything new on the property. How do they take structures and out buildings from $0 to $77,000 when nothing has been built or added on to the property?
Look back up in the discussion above for my post about the software issues taken from the district website.

You should call and get it explained to you because it sure sounds like their records may have gotten all sorts of jumbled.

I still haven't received mine.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Increased 9.99999998%
BosAG06
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Just opened ours.

Our old house had a pool listed on the records but we had no pool. I went in person, they pulled up a satellite view and confirmed that was the case. They immediately lowered us by 20k and gave me a little bit more because of their error. This was 13 years ago though.
bco2003
AG
Finally received mine today (was postmarked on May 24th).

9.1% increase in Frisco.
MW03
AG
mine is online now. 13.81% increase in general, tax went up exactly 10%.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Ok.... Denton County has our property COM:PLETELY fouled up. And they are completely screwing up the protests too.

So, on this property we have just over 1ac of land with a 2017 2,060sqft modular on it. We have always received 2 different appraisals on the place..... one for the land and one that we always thought was for the 2017 modular. Well this year they jumped the value of what has always been the land appraisal up by approximately $70,000 and added a 2020 modular home that is over 2,060sqft. So I'm assuming that they, just this year, got around to adding the fact that there's a home on our property, but couldn't even get what year/sqft it is right.

The OTHER appraisal actually is for a 2011 mobile home, which hasn't existed on this property since 2015-2016.

So, we have our actual land, with a 2017 2,060sqft modular that is being appraised as having a 2020 modular that is larger than actually is. And they also have us appraised for a home that doesn't even exist.

I obviously protested both of them. On the non existent home, I actually put on the protest that this property does not even exist. Proving that they don't even read these protests, they counter offered about $5,000 less on a non existent home lol.

Now, on the appraisal with the land and newer/larger home than really exists, I had given my estimate of value and they actually COUNTERED with an appraisal offer of $50,000. So they are countering the $127k appraisal with $50,000?????

Would I just be completely foolish to accept the $50,000 counter offer on the $127k home/land and then go in to my hearing date on the other non existent home with pictures and tell them that there is no such home on the land? Or should I just go in for a hearing on both and get all of this finally squared away for good? I'm sure if I accept the $50,000 counter offer for this year, we'd probably get a pretty big jump next year?
MW03
AG
This process is as clear as mud. When you try and efile, you're confronted with this screen:

Are you supposed to type in your argument right there?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
That's what I did. But I don't think they even read it.
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
Why are they not allowing attachments this year? I think this just confirms that they don't look at any evidence submitted until you're forced to show in person to fight.
MW03
AG
Jimbo Finisher said:

Why are they not allowing attachments this year? I think this just confirms that they don't look at any evidence submitted until you're forced to show in person to fight.

It looks like you can use this link to upload evidence.

https://helpdesk.dentoncad.com/index.php?pg=request
Post removed:
by user
BosAG06
AG
Jimbo Finisher said:

After you file the protest and click the "reason" give it like 30min and go back in. You should then see an option to upload evidence. Definitely not user friendly and downright confusing.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.