Metroplex
Sponsored by

Byron leaving Trinity Forest after 2020

8,311 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by duck79
culdeus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
powerbelly said:

91AggieLawyer said:

AgLaw said:

I don't think it was the location as much as it was the course. Players complained about the TPC Las Colinas, and after Byron Nelson passed, the big names (like Tiger) quit coming.

The problem is they moved from a course the players hated to a course they hate even worse. I don't know what they're going to do, but the move to Trinity Forest has been a disaster.

I said location but meant the course specifically. Las Colinas, specially the Omni Mandalay is, or was, one of the more prominent hotel venues for out of town pro sports and tournament teams. So while there may be a few better areas, LC is at least above average. One of the reasons why I still live in Irving: great access to almost anything I'd want in DFW.

I think too many people followed Tiger and a few others and read too much into their actions. For a while, Tiger didn't play that many tournaments anyway and I've been around the Nelson for a LONG time and don't recall the criticism of the course until the last few years. It just seemed very manufactured and political. If they're truly going to send it back there, that would all but prove my point.

Not to say that there can never be a better venue some where but I thought much of the criticism was ridiculous and a ton of it was of a bandwagon nature. I just thought it was dumb; I didn't take it personally. As stated, I don't miss it.
Players only showed up out of respect for Mr. Nelson. The course was always an issue, but you wouldn't really hear about it for the same respect for Mr. Nelson.
I mean who wouldn't want to play a flat, featureless course ringed by 90s Mc Mansions under the constant din of flaring 767s?
DannyDuberstein
AG
2007 was the year that really ****ed up the Nelson to where it's never been the same since. Byron died in the fall of 2006 so was no longer around to personally invite players and support the tournament in 2007. The Players moved to May in 2007. And the Nelson's greens in 2007 basically died before the tournament. The plan was to play the 2007 tournament and then have DA Weibring renovate the course for 2008,. but the greens didn't quite survive that plan. I've never seen PGA tour greens in such sad shape. Massive patches of dirt. It was ridiculous. Lost a ton of guys after that.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Check out the background of this shot. That is on the 18th green in 2007. And those kind of spots weren't just on the edges, they were throughout many greens. 2007 was such a disaster and it's never fully recovered, which is far more due to The Players and now PGA taking a May date, but still, something like this didn't help.

YouBet
AG
FTAco07 said:

wbt5845 said:

As an aside - have any of you played Trinity Forest? I have not, but it looks cool.
I've played it a handful of times including a couple of the Byron Nelson pro-ams. I actually love playing the course as it's a refreshing change of pace from the typical park land style of most courses around here. Trinity Forest encourages creativity and has a lot of risk/reward options where most courses require to hit a shot in one specific place. The first year of the Nelson they watered the course quite a bit and the wind didn't blow and the second year we had so much rain it was naturally soft and slow so the pros lit it up. That course's only defenses are fast fairways/green surrounds and wind, neither of which the tour players have faced. It's kind of a joke the tour pros have played an easier version of the course than the members do. I hope this year the grounds crew gets left alone and they are allowed to prepare the course how it was designed to play.

That said, as much as I love the course it was very clear the tournament was not going to be successful there due to the reasons everyone else has already highlighted. I think it would be a great course if the Nelson had an upper echelon field and the focus was purely on watching interesting golf in person, but it's never going to work for the Dallas social scene or casual golf fan. As others have said, it also doesn't show well on TV if you aren't familiar with the nuances of the different holes.

I'm sad the tournament didn't work out there, but I also believe they are making the correct call in acknowledging the failure and trying to make it work somewhere else. I really hope Trinity Forest turns in to a semi-private club in a couple of years where the public can actually make tee times and play, even if it will undoubtedly be an expensive green fee.

Frankly, I was embarrassed for them and Dallas watching it on tv. There were pretty much 3-4 views for the entire thing with the most prevalent view being an aerial view of the course which translated to a big, flat pasture.

Acknowledging the fact that I'm sure there are nuances of the course that don't translate to tv that is irrelevant for a tv viewer not that should necessarily be a priority here. But, to listen to the tv crew try to convince the viewer how beautiful and special this course was just felt like a lie all the while calling it Trinity Forest Golf Club. So, let's build a golf course in the middle of the largest urban forest in the United States but have no trees. I appreciate the desire to do something different but this was just a massive miscalculation.

Having said all that I would love to play it. It's just not a PGA course or at least one suited for spectating. Also, I'm almost certain when this thing was originally announced it was sold as semi-private. I guess it's not though?
TresPuertas
AG
The aggravating part of all of this was that the move was in response to the complaints by the players. I get that, but then they started whining immediately about TF.

I get it, TPCLC isn't perfect but the players need to be a little more down to earth.

Move it back to TPC so the players can have their families stay at the resort for 2 weeks and then figure it out once the new HQ is ready. They can deal with it
powerbelly
AG
YouBet said:

FTAco07 said:

wbt5845 said:

As an aside - have any of you played Trinity Forest? I have not, but it looks cool.
I've played it a handful of times including a couple of the Byron Nelson pro-ams. I actually love playing the course as it's a refreshing change of pace from the typical park land style of most courses around here. Trinity Forest encourages creativity and has a lot of risk/reward options where most courses require to hit a shot in one specific place. The first year of the Nelson they watered the course quite a bit and the wind didn't blow and the second year we had so much rain it was naturally soft and slow so the pros lit it up. That course's only defenses are fast fairways/green surrounds and wind, neither of which the tour players have faced. It's kind of a joke the tour pros have played an easier version of the course than the members do. I hope this year the grounds crew gets left alone and they are allowed to prepare the course how it was designed to play.

That said, as much as I love the course it was very clear the tournament was not going to be successful there due to the reasons everyone else has already highlighted. I think it would be a great course if the Nelson had an upper echelon field and the focus was purely on watching interesting golf in person, but it's never going to work for the Dallas social scene or casual golf fan. As others have said, it also doesn't show well on TV if you aren't familiar with the nuances of the different holes.

I'm sad the tournament didn't work out there, but I also believe they are making the correct call in acknowledging the failure and trying to make it work somewhere else. I really hope Trinity Forest turns in to a semi-private club in a couple of years where the public can actually make tee times and play, even if it will undoubtedly be an expensive green fee.

Frankly, I was embarrassed for them and Dallas watching it on tv. There were pretty much 3-4 views for the entire thing with the most prevalent view being an aerial view of the course which translated to a big, flat pasture.

Acknowledging the fact that I'm sure there are nuances of the course that don't translate to tv that is irrelevant for a tv viewer not that should necessarily be a priority here. But, to listen to the tv crew try to convince the viewer how beautiful and special this course was just felt like a lie all the while calling it Trinity Forest Golf Club. So, let's build a golf course in the middle of the largest urban forest in the United States but have no trees. I appreciate the desire to do something different but this was just a massive miscalculation.

Having said all that I would love to play it. It's just not a PGA course or at least one suited for spectating. Also, I'm almost certain when this thing was originally announced it was sold as semi-private. I guess it's not though?

As per the deal with dallas the course has to have a certain amount of "public" rounds per year. This is accomplished through several tournaments that the public can play in. Also, if you are a member at a club your pro can probably get you on.
OldArmyBrent
AG
Just came here to remind everyone it is "The Nelson" and not "The Byron."
Bocephus
AG
I just want to know how many city council members are gonna get blackout drunk at this years tournament?
big ben
AG
Thank god
powerbelly
AG
OldArmyBrent said:

Just came here to remind everyone it is "The Nelson" and not "The Byron."
Ag CPA
AG
TPC Craig Ranch.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/golf/att-byron-nelson-heading-to-mckinneys-tpc-craig-ranch/287-5bff8173-e897-470d-8379-2d90d840f982
AG
Ag CPA said:

TPC Craig Ranch.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/golf/att-byron-nelson-heading-to-mckinneys-tpc-craig-ranch/287-5bff8173-e897-470d-8379-2d90d840f982
duck79
AG
duck79 said:

Heard a rumor a few months ago that this would happen and they are looking at Craig Ranch along with a few other courses.

I got one right!!
Matsui
AG
Tell me about tpc Craig ranch.
duck79
AG
My parents live across the street from the clubhouse basically so it will be hell for them.

The course is nice but there is nowhere for foot traffic to really go. I expect them to keep the rough really thick or scores will be low.
Kanyes psychiatrist
duck79 said:

My parents live across the street from the clubhouse basically so it will be hell for them.

The course is nice but there is nowhere for foot traffic to really go. I expect them to keep the rough really thick or scores will be low.
Tell you parents to rent out their house for the tournament for big $$ and they can go on vacation.
culdeus
AG
Where the hell will people park out there? At the old course they would at least be able to bus you in from texas stadium. I don't see anything like that in the area on google maps.
Quinn
AG
A DMN story I read said that there will be 20,000 spaces within 1.5 miles of the course.
Matsui
AG
I'd also assume they will use some empty business or parking garage lots? Maybe even grass lots?
duck79
AG
There is quite a bit of parking if the use the open fields around Craig Ranch and the Michael Johnson sports complex. People can also park at liberty high school across Custer.
dcAg
You would think that if players really had respect for Mr. Nelson they would play after he was gone.
TresPuertas
AG
I think with all the fancy ladies up in Collin Co. this could have the feel of vintage Nelson. Everyone and their damn dogs are going to come out to a major sporting event in this area and all the 30-40 something soccer moms are going to let loose.

I'm optimistic
aggolfer
AG
TresPuertas said:

I think with all the fancy ladies up in Collin Co. this could have the feel of vintage Nelson. Everyone and their damn dogs are going to come out to a major sporting event in this area and all the 30-40 something soccer moms are going to let loose.

I'm optimistic
Same thing I was thinking.
chick79
AG
Maybe this can become Phoenix East!
Ag CPA
AG
I don't know, TPCFS also had another set of "ladies" in attendance that I doubt will make the trek up north.
dave94
AG
Ag CPA said:

I don't know, TPCFS also had another set of "ladies" in attendance that I doubt will make the trek up north.
This. The nookie girls don't want to go out to the burbs. Now, the former nookie girls who are married with kids and live in the burbs...
Law Hall 69-72
AG
dcAg said:

You would think that if players really had respect for Mr. Nelson they would play after he was gone.
Respect is one thing. A personal invitation from Byron Nelson was another.
Signel
AG
An important tidbit that I didn't check in this thread is that the PGA is moving to DFW. Do you really think they would allow a terrible course to be their home event? There will be 3 courses in the Frisco area. I'd bet that they move the event up to the new PGA area by the Star.
duck79
AG
The PGA of America is moving to Frisco not the PGA tour. Those are two different entities.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.