Metroplex
Sponsored by

Is there a non-insane DMV in DFW??

6,574 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXAggieMom11
Kashchei
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have to get my DL renewed in person (even though I just did it last year!)

I went to the small office in Plano during lunch on Wednesday and there was a line of 25 people just to get in the door. Then this morning that line was 125! I don't want to waste my entire Friday standing in line...

Then I tried reserving a spot in line at the Carrollton and Garland Mega Centers, but of course there are no times available...

I guess it is all of the summer teens and illegal aliens getting their licenses, but does anyone have any advice on when and where to get my DL renewed that doesn't take all day? Thankfully I have a month to get it done... /rant
Guzen
AG
To reserve a spot you have to be online at 7AM exactly and get a spot. I took my son a month ago to garland with a reservation and we were there for 40 minutes
OldAg92
AG
Cleburne- in and out in 15 minutes after seeing a line out the door in the Hurst location (although that was a couple years ago)
SuzyQ06
OldAg beat me to it. Cleburne is fast, but then again, where are you in the metroplex? You're likely to spend at least 45 min in the car...

And, when my husband went to renew his in Cleburne, there actually was a line!
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Make a reservation at the Garland supercenter. Last time I did that (about 3 years ago) I made the reservation around lunch for 4:15 and was out by 4:45. Of course this wasn't in the middle of summer when everybody is out of school.
akaggie05
AG
Several years ago I only waited about 10 minutes in Rockwall. Not sure if it's still there.
Kashchei
AG
Thank you for your responses. I am in Richardson so Cleburne might be a little far...

I will definitely try and book a time at one of the MC's extra early
Not Sure
AG
I had to wait in line for about an hour when I renewed mine in Cleburne.
ftworthag02
AG
weatherford is suppose to be fast
Render
AG
So you're saying the waiting really is the hardest part?
80sGeorge
AG
Tried the reservation system for week but didn't know the exactly at 7am trick

Ended up going to Lewisville office based of TexAgs. Took 4 hours.
DevilYack
AG
The one over towards Argyle is usually pretty fast. My admin went there last week and was out in an hour.
BSpencer00
AG
Sherman (if you are willing to drive a little under an hour up there).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Van Buren Boy
AG
White settlement was fast back when I was in FW. Now that I moved to Richardson I just sucked it up and got in line at the one in Plano and line 5:30am. I was about 10th in line. I was out in 20 minutes once the doors opened.
culdeus
AG
Why would you not use the reservation system?
Van Buren Boy
AG
culdeus said:

Why would you not use the reservation system?

I'm a moran.
hph6203
AG
Last time I needed to renew I just got in line online, bumped my number down in the queue if I was running late and was in and out in ~30 minutes. This was the Garland mega center. I did not reserve my spot right at 7:00AM, but I wasn't trying to get in before work.
Absolute
AG
Even though they said in person try it online, since you went in recently. That happened to me, forget why I looked oine but it let me do it and gave me a new license.
nai06
AG
South fort Worth is my go to
AW 1880
AG
I read the subject of this thread as DVM not DMV.
K05
AG
Tolar FTW.

In and out in 10 min. Literally zero people there, although one guy stilled in as I was leaving. I only went there because I was staying at my in laws in Granbury, but man it may be worth the drive. Such a pleasant experience.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
BSpencer00 said:

Heck no! Sherman is worse than the one in Plano. Trust me. Wife and I went there last summer and waited for 2.5 hours and we were there 30 min prior to opening.
hbc07
AG
GT_Aggie2015 said:

BSpencer00 said:

Heck no! Sherman is worse than the one in Plano. Trust me. Wife and I went there last summer and waited for 2.5 hours and we were there 30 min prior to opening.
Went to Sherman in April. We showed up around 9:30 i think. Wrapped up around 11:30.
Southlake Ag
AG
My wife did hers when we were going down to A&M fro a football game last fall. Hers had been expired for about a week. We stopped in Marlin (Falls County), went to County Courthouse, and were out in 15 minutes. They were glad to see us!

Best way is online. If you can't do online, go to small city with a DPS office.

If you live in northwest DFW, Decatur is a good option. I would rather spend 20 to 30 minutes driving in a car than waiting in line.
culdeus
AG
Gonna ask this question again and maybe one more time. Why can't you people figure out the reservation system?
hbc07
AG
I tried over and over again for 2 weeks at 7am every day and then throughout the days every other day and there were never any appointments open.
Comeby!
AG
I've used it and I think you have too much faith in it. It works at the Carrollton center but you will be there more than 2-3 hours longer than your appointment.

Sherman still sucks. Arrived 1.5 hours before it opened, left an hour after it opened.
CapAmr05
AG
Van Buren Boy said:

White settlement was fast back when I was in FW. Now that I moved to Richardson I just sucked it up and got in line at the one in Plano and line 5:30am. I was about 10th in line. I was out in 20 minutes once the doors opened.
WS is insanely fast still; I had to get mine done there about a year ago.
AggieFrog
AG
Van Buren Boy said:

Think you mean Lake Worth. There isn't one in White Settlement.
Gigem_94
AG
Went to the one off 121 around The Colony area. What a mess. They weren't taking reservations. So went about 10:30 in the morning. There were literally hundreds in line before me. So I got a rough calculation about how fast they moved, went back to work, and came back at 3:30 and then waited for about 45 min for my number to be called. Otherwise I would have been there most of the day.
fooz
I just renewed mine in McKinney. Refreshed the online page at 7:01am to reserve a spot. Showed up at 11am and was in and out in 15 minutes. There was a huge line wrapped around the building with people who didn't reserve a spot.
Old Tom Morris
Consider it a preview of the future of health care.
culdeus
AG
I didn't realize the reservation system had broken down. In the past couple times I needed to cruise in to get one it was seamless.

I blame all the people moving here from California and rust belt. I guess.

It's a once a decade thing right?
ghollow
AG
The one in Flower Mound is not very busy.
schwabbin
AG
Garland center wasn't too bad when I went last year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.