Metroplex
Sponsored by

Is there a non-insane DMV in DFW??

6,504 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXAggieMom11
LacyMilaniRealtor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Mega DMV in Fort Worth is super fast!!!
#1 team champions dfw commercial realty with over 30 years combined experience in the metroplex
https://www.Championsdfw.com
bco2003
AG
Reservation system has worked perfectly for me twice in the last years, most recently in April 2019.

As mentioned several times above, they key is checking in precisely at 07:00 am. To the point that I set my alarm at 06:58 and check-in exactly when the clock rolls over to 07:00.

Both times, I got a time around 2:00 pm, and walked out in under 30 minutes.
Kashchei
AG
bco2003 said:

Reservation system has worked perfectly for me twice in the last years, most recently in April 2019.

As mentioned several times above, they key is checking in precisely at 07:00 am. To the point that I set my alarm at 06:58 and check-in exactly when the clock rolls over to 07:00.

Both times, I got a time around 2:00 pm, and walked out in under 30 minutes.

This was exactly my experience today! I was done in 30 mins. Just wake up early to save a place!

Edit: I went to the MC in Garland
permabull
AG
Absolute
AG
Did the reservation thing this morning for daughter's learners permit. Carrollton and Garland were full by 7:02. Was able to get in at ft worth (about 45 minute drive.) Worked reasonably well, appointment was at 2:20 got out of the by 320 or so. Better than the 3 or so hours they were telling walk-ins.

Almost got really mad. Why on earth would my drivers license not count as proof of residence? Had other options luckily, but I really had figured that would be acceptable.

Over all I felt like they were trying reasonably hard at the place. But God what an awful cf it is.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Regional Director of the DPS spoke at Exchange Club of Lake Highlands this morning. While crime was his main focus (see DPD thread), he touched on driver's licenses.

Understaffing + Real ID + continued growth in population equals fun. The State is boosting funding for staffing starting 9/1, but not as much as requested.

Real ID is probably the biggest driver. Unfunded Fed requirement. Much more detailed than a simple DL.
DannyDuberstein
AG
So Real ID doesn't go into full effect until Oct 2020 right? If it's bad because of it already, the next 18 months should be a real **** show.
Ol Jock 99
AG
My understanding (key words) is that they are only issuing Real ID DLs.
duck79
AG
How often are you supposed to have to renew in person? Mine is up in late September and I got online and was able to renew and get the new real ID online. I expected to have to renew in person since the last time I renewed in person was at least 5-7 yrs ago.
Ol Jock 99
AG
duck79 said:

How often are you supposed to have to renew in person? Mine is up in late September and I got online and was able to renew and get the new real ID online. I expected to have to renew in person since the last time I renewed in person was at least 5-7 yrs ago.

If it doesn't have a star in the top right (IIRC), it isn't a "Real iD" and you won't be able to fly with it starting in October 2020.
duck79
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

duck79 said:

If it doesn't have a star in the top right (IIRC), it isn't a "Real iD" and you won't be able to fly with it starting in October 2020.

Mine was shipped to me with the star. I was surprised.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Have to renew overall every 6 years, and every other time has to be in person. So you can go up to 12 years without doing it in person.
Troy91
AG
Took my youngest son to the Fort Worth Mega Center on a Friday.

We got in line online by logging in and spamming the site until it opened up at 7 am. Received appointment for 8:20 am.

We arrived at 8:04. Left with his drivers license at 8:30 am. Very fast. We were slowed down as my son had to fill out a different form while we sat with the employee.

I was surprised at how quick it was this time.
Roll the Bones
AG
I just went through this process last week. Opened up two windows on my PC, one for the Carrollton mega center, one for McKinney at about 6:55 and started clicking/refreshing. Got a reservation time for McKinney, at the same time the Carrollton page said there were none available - literally the time slots fill within 5 minutes.

I showed up about 10 minutes before the appointment and checked in at the kiosk inside. Had to wait about 5 minutes before being called up and was out the door in 18 minutes total.

Meanwhile there was a line around the building which did not move at all while I was there. WFAA did a story about the lines, filmed there at the McKinney DMV later that day. An ambulance was there when I left and the story mentioned that a teenage girl had fainted in the heat.

I would try the online check-in every day for a month to get a slot before I would just show up at one of these places.
fooz
supradave94 said:

I just went through this process last week. Opened up two windows on my PC, one for the Carrollton mega center, one for McKinney at about 6:55 and started clicking/refreshing. Got a reservation time for McKinney, at the same time the Carrollton page said there were none available - literally the time slots fill within 5 minutes.

I showed up about 10 minutes before the appointment and checked in at the kiosk inside. Had to wait about 5 minutes before being called up and was out the door in 18 minutes total.

Meanwhile there was a line around the building which did not move at all while I was there. WFAA did a story about the lines, filmed there at the McKinney DMV later that day. An ambulance was there when I left and the story mentioned that a teenage girl had fainted in the heat.

I would try the online check-in every day for a month to get a slot before I would just show up at one of these places.
I did the same thing at McKinney. Some of those people in line were heated that people were walking right past them into the building.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Is the online booking for the next business day?
fooz
Ol Jock 99 said:

Same day. But you have to do it right at 7am.
Ol Jock 99
AG
fooz said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Same day. But you have to do it right at 7am.
Gotcha.
Roll the Bones
AG
fooz said:

I did the same thing at McKinney. Some of those people in line were heated that people were walking right past them into the building.

Yeah, I was able to snag a parking space right in front of the building surprisingly (the parking lot is not very large and there were cars parked on both sides of the street for as far as the eye could see). Unfortunately that meant I was parked 2 feet away from these people in line. I had more than a couple of curious and/or hostile looks as I walked in past them.
jpd301
AG

fooz
jpd301 said:

I'm assuming this doesn't include people that reserved a spot online.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quick! Everybody drive to PARIS!!
TXAggieMom11
I just renewed in Lewisville this past Wednesday. I was able to get an appointment but was prepared to drive to Gainsville. The officer I talked to said the line was really short so far that day (9:45), most people should have just around a 3 hour wait. Now that school is back in session the lines are a little shorter, Fridays and Mondays still the worst days to go.
I had the gold star on my license already but took my social security card and passport just in case. I am very glad I did or I would have been sent home.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.