Metroplex
Sponsored by

Restaurant options in Ft Worth

5,143 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ags06Win
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Joe T's and Uncle Julio's are both kinda lame for the hype.

Playa Maya off Hemphill is much better.
Tacos Ernesto also on Hemphill is a very good cash taqueria.
LSB_2002
AG
El Rancho Grande for food........Joe T's for margaritas!
TAMUallen
AG
Uncle julios is donkey my dude
wbt5845
AG
Since we're all over the place on our preferred Mexican food (my go to place in Mama Cuca's in Mansfield), I did a goolge search and it's all over the place too.

One place no one has mentioned that has fabulous online reviews that I have never been to is Dos Molinas. Has anyone been there?
CoolAggie
AG
Dos Molinas is pretty damn good. Homemade flour tortillas with either menudo or carne guisada. Yes, it's kinda sketchy once you leave the Stockyards but it's a good hole in the wall
Naveronski
AG
CoolAggie said:

Yes, it's kinda sketchy once you leave the Stockyards but it's a good hole in the wall

The more dangerous the neighborhood, the better the tacos.
wbt5845
AG
Elmo Lincoln said:

Love Fort Worth for so many reasons, but TexMex is not one of them. The unfortunate reality is that Funkytown is simply not competitive with Dallas, Austin or Houston on the TexMex scene.
Frankly, Fort Worth isn't competitive with Arlington. Mariano's, Lupe's, Marquez Bakery - I could go on and on.
AggieFrog
AG
I've been going to Mariano's for 40+ years (family has been going there since the 70s). Founder of Mariano's invented the frozen margarita.
Desert Ag
AG
Gotta love the "Joe T's is kitsch my dude" crowd. It's friggin' Tex-Mex not haute cuisine for goodness sake.

Personally, I'd pick Esperanza's on Park Hill, because it's less than a mile from my house, but if I want to give a non-texan a true Fort Worth experience, I'm not worried about the sophistication of their Tex-mex palates, I'm gonna take them to Joe T's.
Silver Eagle
AG
Los Molcajetes on the north side (Keller / Roanoke) is pretty good.

Not sure about other locations, but so is Rio Mambo in Weatherford
------------- Class of 2004 -------------
Wildcat
AG
It got a little testy in here after I checked-out. Went to Pappasitos the first night and had one of those margaritas as big as your head.

Had a great trip. Enjoyed being back in Texas. Hell, it wasn't even hot down there and the grass was green. What's up with that?
ftworthag02
AG
You should be here today and the rest of the week...
TMfrisco
AG
I can almost understand the people who don't like Joe T's - they probably prefer more options on the menu or different fajitas. But the family style Mexican dinner - nachos, tacos, cheese enchiladas with red sauce (great and not found at many places anymore), rice, and beans is really good - if that is what you like at Tex-Mex places.
Saturday breakfast is really hard to beat.

Everyone judges Tex-Mex different. My wife makes the chips and salsa her biggest test. Me, the above items and chile relleno's are my test.

The people that don't like Joe T's probably don't like Tupy tacos either!
george07
AG
For those of you in Fort Worth that haven't been, try Mi Cocula on camp Bowie. I drive past the original and uncle Julio's to get there. Good food, and very friendly staff. Almost everyone that walks in is greeted by name, the place gets insane repeat business. Always a good sign. Also Lupe Tortilla is opening next year in Fort Worth apparently. I'm from Houston originally, definitely like that place. They just opened in Irving near my office, which I think is the first in DFW.
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
We tried that Lupes Tortilla yesterday for lunch, it's only been open for about 2 weeks, so they're still working out the kinks. Service was spotty and the entree was over cooked, but they had a good menu, so I'll give it another shot in a few months.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Where is the one in Fort Worth?
GrapevineAg 1998
AG
I went to the one on Irving of 635 next to Pinstack. Not sure about the Fort Worth location.
george07
AG
I read an article that a Fort Worth location will open in q1 of 2020. Not sure where.
Buford Tannen
AG
I believe it is planned for the area up near alliance.
Ags06Win
AG
Is this even a question?!?

Joe T's
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.