Metroplex
Sponsored by

TruGreen or Alternatives?

11,777 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DallasAggie89
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasAggie89 said:

planoaggie123 said:

big ben said:

soilsalive.com aggie owned
Going to reach out. We have had more lawn issues than I care to think about.

My next door neighbor uses Soils Alive. His yard is terrible. He spends all of his time outside asking me what I do as my yard looks like a golf course.

Soils Alive comes by once in a while and sprays their organic horse piss on his yard and my neighbor wonders why it doesn't work.

Only place he doesn't have weeds is the immediate 6 foot area next to my yard where I put down a barrier of pre-emergent or weed killer depending on the time of year.

What's your secret sauce? Randy Lemmon schedule?
DallasAggie89
AG
I'm in Dallas and follow Neil Sperry. Apply pre-emergent when he says and fertilize every 6-8 weeks.

Biggest difference I see in my lawn versus my neighbors (they all use lawn services and I mow my own) is the height the Bermuda is maintained. I keep mine around an inch and they are 3-4 inches. Bermuda should be mowed low and it will grow thick and crowd out most weeds.
ChoppinDs40
AG
DallasAggie89 said:

I'm in Dallas and follow Neil Sperry. Apply pre-emergent when he says and fertilize every 6-8 weeks.

Biggest difference I see in my lawn versus my neighbors (they all use lawn services and I mow my own) is the height the Bermuda is maintained. I keep mine around an inch and they are 3-4 inches. Bermuda should be mowed low and it will grow thick and crowd out most weeds.

There it is.

What most people don't understand is that mowing is really the key to a healthy lawn. I stopped mowing the day we bought a house - Mowed since I was 10 years old, did it in the summers for money, mowed religiously when my parents bought us a house in college.

So many coworkers of mine are "naw I mow my own and don't know why it looks bad"... they mow every 2 weeks or do it every 5 days then 10 days.

Mine gets cut once a week, every week on the same day, granted I've got st Augustine so cant go that low.

Agronomy 302 for the win.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I've tried 3 companies in 5 years, after following Lemon/Sperry routines myself the first year, and think I have a winner with the current one. I'm very diligent about maintenance though and supplement their sprays with my own spot treatment(MSM Turf) if it's a small area. Specifically button weed and fox tail.

https://www.geckogreen.com/

They're in the $450-550 ball park depending on whether you pay the year up front or not. 9 treatments.
craig09
AG
Hey do you mind if I ask where you buy your maintenance products? I work in the landscape/ irrigation supply market and I'd love to talk to you a bit about what you're using and how we could help you out.
craig09
AG
Yes, the crew at Gecko Green seem very sharp and seem to target what you need vs what agenda they have to push during certain seasons. They buy equipment from my team and they are all class acts.

Edit: MSM Turf is a great product that has not been widely utilized yet. Congrats on being ahead of the curve.
TSUAggie
craig09 said:

Hey do you mind if I ask where you buy your maintenance products? I work in the landscape/ irrigation supply market and I'd love to talk to you a bit about what you're using and how we could help you out.

I usually buy from Winfield Solutions or Helena. Of course I use SiteOne when in a pinch. I hate using them though since they are usually quite a bit more expensive, except for agency priced stuff. I will also use BWI sometimes, but it's been a while.
craig09
AG
If you don't mind, shoot me an email and let me see what I can do for you. I'm the SiteOne store manager in Keller. We have other lines that are more cost efficient than our Lesco branded stuff in granular blends, and I can see what I can do for you on herbicide products. CStafford@ SiteOne . com
Matsui
AG
I am in Dallas as well. What guide does Neil Sperry say to do? I can't find it on his website. I have mostly St. Augustine as well.
DallasAggie89
AG
I listen to him on the radio most Sundays and he will always mention when it's time to apply pre-emergent, usually over the course of a few weeks so you get it down in the proper time window.

He has a free weekly email newsletter that he talks about (I haven't signed up for it but should) that he says has a schedule of what you should be doing that week.

I have his latest book and it is a great reference for everything landscaping. Definitely recommend, if you want it he sells it on his website. Not available on Amazon.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.