Metroplex
Sponsored by

TruGreen or Alternatives?

12,111 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DallasAggie89
Boat Shoes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Im thinking of turning over my fertilization and weed control to the pros. I frequently travel which yields an inconsistent schedule, which has resulted in a subpar lawn. Any thoughts on TruGreen or any local alternatives? I'm in East Dallas.

Would also be interested in lawn mowing / landscaping recommendations as well.

Thanks!
Gomer95
AG
I live in Parker County and I am just coming up on a year of having used TruGreen when I previously have never used them. I have a 1 acre lot and would always fertilize in the Spring but that was about it and since the amount of fertilizer I had to get for that area cost a lot anyway and I usually did a sorry job fertilizing lol I thought I'll try them for a year. Yes it's a bit pricey but man it's worth it because this Spring when weeds were popping up in my neighbors yards there were none at all in mine. If you have a smaller yard than 1 acre it shouldn't be too pricey. They do 7 or 8 treatments a year I think and I like it because I don't have to do anything except mow and weed eat which I don't mind.

The only thing I don't like is they will call you every once in a while and offer "other services" like mosquito prevention or specialized treatment of trees or bushes and I have never done that because those are usually pretty expensive. Nothing bad has happened to the things they wanted to extra treat so I would be careful of that but otherwise if you're able to pay for their services, I think it's awesome. My yard looks way better and I'm the least green thumb guy ever as in I would just fertilize in the Spring and then mowed and that was IT! If you find a better alternative post it on here. Good luck!
Aggiewes
AG
I use Nutrigreen in NE Tarrant County. I don't know if they are in your area but posting to let you know it was money well spent for me. 8X a year and the lawn looks materially better than before.

Good luck!

Wes
Old School Brother
Aggiewes said:

I use Nutrigreen in NE Tarrant County. I don't know if they are in your area but posting to let you know it was money well spent for me. 8X a year and the lawn looks materially better than before.

Good luck!

Wes
What city are you in? I'm in SW Denton county, which I would expect is very close to NE Tarrant. What is your annual cost for 8 treatments?
big ben
AG
soilsalive.com aggie owned
lawless89
What kind of price range are we talking here? Have never considered using a service, but might be interested.
HockeyAg07
AG
Following this too. I'm in the mid cities and everyone around me outsources everything about their yard. I don't and my lawn always looks shaggy and weedy. I don't mind mowing and edging and working in the flowerbeds, but the pre-emergent and fertilization help would be much muy helpful.
AW 1880
AG
I've used TruGreen for a year now, and I'm not really impressed. I believe we pay $80 per treatment and they come every 6-7 weeks. My Bermuda is thicker, clover has been greatly reduced, but they did not put a dent in the crab grass. My hope was that a full year of pre-emergent and fertilizer would get rid of the crab grass. Maybe I expected too much.

Also, there was the incident of an overzealous sales rep. I have 2/3 of an acre but was only going to have the front yard done. He comes out says we need to treat for scale on our crepe myrtles, and says by the way, it is silly for them not to spray our whole yard if they were already out there. I told him no thanks on the scale treatment, but that would be awesome if they would spray the front and back for the same price as the front. I gave Home an out and said that I understood if treating the backyard was conditional upon the scale treatment, but he said it was no big deal. I asked specifically how long they would do that, and he said as long as we wanted.

Next treatment time comes around and they only spray the front yard. My wife calls them and they stop just short of calling us liars. Ultimately they said they would treat the entire yard for one year, but after that, they were done because they were losing money on my yard. We are going to cancel here pretty soon, and I may be asking for a refund due to the overall poor results and customer service.
Spaceship
AG
I've just started Trugreen in Flower Mound (one treatment so far) but they must hire their sales reps from the used car industry. Their initial price quoted for 1 year service was offensively high. After 20 minutes of haggling and threatening, I ended up with a plan that had the same services for roughly 50% of the originally quoted price. We'll see how well it works, but I don't think I'd pay much more than the deal I got.
Matsui
AG
What price did you get?
Spaceship
AG
Matsui said:

What price did you get?

$522 per year for 0.3 acres lot, which is 9 treatments in a year. Their initial quote was over $900.
Aggiewes
AG
Old School Brother said:

Aggiewes said:

Good luck!

Wes
What city are you in? I'm in SW Denton county, which I would expect is very close to NE Tarrant. What is your annual cost for 8 treatments?
I am in 76244. SW Keller/NE Fort Worth. This franchisee is a great technician and goes above and beyond. I pay something like $560 for around 10 treatments if I pay the entire year up front. For us it has been a material difference in the quality of the yard. I went from a mix of weeds and grass to fine bermuda. This year has not been as good as others. However, the owner sent a letter in March and said it would be a tough year because of all the rain last fall, and to be patient, keep your yard mowed, etc.... I think he is really good myself. I also think this year is different because I have neighbors who don't use any service (DIY or other) and the weeds have gone crazy. Just one data point but we like it and I don't have to keep up with a schedule. I also am on 1/3 of an acre and this includes front and back.

Wes '87

Mojave
AG
In 76244 as well. Don't know about NutriGreen but the local TruGreen was terrible for me. After a year the lawn was in worse shape than when they started.That was a few years ago and they still won't stop calling me. At the same time my neighbor had Scott's and they did a very good job.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Trugreen appears to be a huge ripoff from what most people say and the difference in yards I see. I'd be embarrassed if I was trugreen with some of the yard qualities I see with their signs in front but they appear to stay in business so who knows. I do my yard myself and the difference between mine and the neighbors who use Trugreen is night and day.
big ben
AG
Emailed truegreen for just a consult and all they wanna do is sign you up for a plan. They call non-stop.
TSUAggie
I run a small weed control & lawn fertilization company in the SW Fort Worth area and I've heard horror stories from customers that had TruGreen. Most of those guys have no idea what they are doing.
culdeus
AG
I am shocked people here on an ag heavy board would be considering trugreen.

I've never heard a real honest positive review of the stuff and when I got my soil tested after prior owner used them there was basically no topsoil left and the lawn looked like Zboaz after titty Tuesday.
TSUAggie
culdeus said:

I've never heard a real honest positive review of the stuff and when I got my soil tested after prior owner used them there was basically no topsoil left and the lawn looked like Zboaz after titty Tuesday.

TruGreen is awful, but I don't see how you can fault them for your lawn not having any top soil.
lawless89
TSUAggie said:

I run a small weed control & lawn fertilization company in the SW Fort Worth area and I've heard horror stories from customers that had TruGreen. Most of those guys have no idea what they are doing.

What company?
TSUAggie
lawless89 said:

TSUAggie said:

What company?

Well, not so much a company. More like a small one man operation.
culdeus
AG
TSUAggie said:

culdeus said:

TruGreen is awful, but I don't see how you can fault them for your lawn not having any top soil.

Probably the wrong phrasing. The report said that basically the top soil was baked out and would not be expected to hold any moisture and had no Nitrogen content at all. This was at the time we purchased the house and TG was treating it. I don't know to the extent TG was responsible, but I fired their ass on principal.
schwabbin
AG
It's Texas, if you have St Augustine just water it when you see signs of slight drought or twice a week in the warm months and fertilize with weed n feed 3 or 4 times a year. Try to mow it on a longer setting and not cut more than 1/3 of the blade and it will be stronger and more drought resistant.
planoaggie123
AG
big ben said:

Going to reach out. We have had more lawn issues than I care to think about.
fwag04
AG
TSUAggie said:

lawless89 said:

TSUAggie said:

What company?

What kind of rates are we looking at? Live in near south side and try doing the fertilizer / preemergent treatments, but still have more weeds than grass I feel
Spaceship
AG
How many of y'all aerate your yard annually and do think it specifically makes a noticeable difference?
JR Ewingford
I live near TCU and would be interested in one of you local Aggies taking over my yard.
DallasAggie89
AG
planoaggie123 said:

big ben said:

Going to reach out. We have had more lawn issues than I care to think about.

My next door neighbor uses Soils Alive. His yard is terrible. He spends all of his time outside asking me what I do as my yard looks like a golf course.

Soils Alive comes by once in a while and sprays their organic horse piss on his yard and my neighbor wonders why it doesn't work.

Only place he doesn't have weeds is the immediate 6 foot area next to my yard where I put down a barrier of pre-emergent or weed killer depending on the time of year.
TSUAggie
fwag04 said:

TSUAggie said:

lawless89 said:

TSUAggie said:

What company?

What kind of rates are we looking at? Live in near south side and try doing the fertilizer / preemergent treatments, but still have more weeds than grass I feel

It depends on size of the yard. My rates start out at $65.00 for most average size yards. My agronomic plan recommends 5 applications throughout the year. I'm definitely not the cheapest, but I also don't require yearly contracts or agreements like most other companies do; and I provide results with fewer treatments.
Quinn
AG
Everybody else getting insane weeds this year? The past few years I've had some weed areas that were killed off by strong St Aug, but this year its nuts how bad the weeds are. Lady at my Lake Highlands Ace said that everyone in our area has been complaining about the this year.
TSUAggie
Quinn said:

Everybody else getting insane weeds this year? The past few years I've had some weed areas that were killed off by strong St Aug, but this year its nuts how bad the weeds are. Lady at my Lake Highlands Ace said that everyone in our area has been complaining about the this year.

Weeds are bad this year. Heavy rains in September and October followed by all the heavy rains this spring have definitely helped the weeds explode.
planoaggie123
AG
Darn. Glad you said something. Why the f- is it so hard to find good lawn treatment? I don't think it would be that hard...maybe i just need to pay myself to do it...
Mollie03
AG
I have been using Village Green for several years and my yard has never had more weeds. Going to try the company who mows my lawn a shot. If that doesn't work will just do myself.
JR Ewingford
TSUAg, I'm having trouble growing grass in my front yard in spots, seem to have gotten the back yard under control as good as I can with 2 crazy dogs. That something you could help out with?
TSUAggie
EwingBarnes said:

TSUAg, I'm having trouble growing grass in my front yard in spots, seem to have gotten the back yard under control as good as I can with 2 crazy dogs. That something you could help out with?

Absolutely.
JR Ewingford
TSUAggie said:

EwingBarnes said:

Absolutely.
Shoot me a message and I'll give you a holler next week or after Memorial day.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.