Metroplex
Sponsored by

2019 DCAD values

8,574 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by YouBet
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exactly. What would your
House sell for today?
hph6203
AG
Rice and Fries said:

And how do we feel about no state income tax now?

As someone who looks at other people's property taxes all day long for work... you don't want to tack income tax on top of property taxes.
GarlandAg2012
AG
75214. No change, but it's at 98.5% of what i paid for the house last year.

How do homestead exemptions work when there's a change of possession? My capped value was lower than assesed last year, does the ownership change let it reset to assessed value or will it still go up only 10%?
aggielostinETX
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

How do homestead exemptions work when there's a change of possession? My capped value was lower than assesed last year, does the ownership change let it reset to assessed value or will it still go up only 10%?
change resets the value
752bro4
AG
752bro4 said:

Should be rolling out any day now. Last year it was 4/14 (Saturday).

Predictions?
Zip: 75230
2018 change: Started with a 1.35% increase, fought it down to a $10 total increase
2019 guess: 5% market increase, with increases to the mill rate of $0.13/$100 due to Dallas County voters

No change. My whole street (25 houses) went unscathed, even with a sale this summer.

Still protesting.
aggielostinETX
AG
752bro4 said:

752bro4 said:

Should be rolling out any day now. Last year it was 4/14 (Saturday).

Predictions?
Zip: 75230
2018 change: Started with a 1.35% increase, fought it down to a $10 total increase
2019 guess: 5% market increase, with increases to the mill rate of $0.13/$100 due to Dallas County voters

No change. My whole street (25 houses) went unscathed, even with a sale this summer.

Still protesting.

Something is a foot. I've never not had an increase.
752bro4
AG
I looked yesterday and again today. No changes period. I fear s Monday morning data dump. But right now, all even 2018 v 2019.
aggielostinETX
AG
752bro4 said:

I looked yesterday and again today. No changes period. I fear s Monday morning data dump. But right now, all even 2018 v 2019.

I got my letter. It's legit. But its almost as if the word went out to stop.
culdeus
AG
Rough. Did not change last year and got huge bump. This year. Up 23% in last 3 years.
rebag00
AG
75214 - Up $65K this year (W/O cap), $20K in land and $45K on the improvement, of which there has been no change.
I'm up $95K in land alone since 2012. Protesting.
FincAg
AG
75238, no change for 2nd year. Took my lickings the first couple years after we purchased in 2015. I'd say the valuation is "fair" at the moment. Would still like to get my desirability down from "excellent" but not this year.
YouBet
AG
Whole lotta Aggies in 75214. Y'all must run that zip!

Edit: ha! That was my former zip. I forgot!
Duncan Idaho
FTAco07 said:

Up 8% for me and getting dangerously close to more than I could sell it for.

you are the first person I have ever heard saying their house is under-appraised.
FTAco07
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

FTAco07 said:

Up 8% for me and getting dangerously close to more than I could sell it for.

you are the first person I have ever heard saying their house is under-appraised.
The vast majority of houses are appraised at or below market value, and people know that whether than acknowledge it or not. There's a reason you more commonly appeal property assessments based on the equity method (my valuation is not equitable relative to my neighbor's valuation) rather than a market value appraisal.
Phat32
AG
Filed my protest just out of muscle memory, but the appraised value is less than we paid for it a year ago. Shocked.

I second the motion that someone higher up told them to lay off for a year. Bet they come out guns blazing in 2020.
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
10% with a lot of in land in 75214. I live in a very strict historical district so you cannot knock down the homes so not sure how the land value moves a whole lot but went up 30%! Our land values have always been much lower then 75214/75206 in general and that made sense but looks like that might be changing.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Looks like we're getting "lucky" this year; flat to last.
aggielostinETX
AG
I gotta think all the posturing in Austin has freaked out some of the County Treasurers and they are hoping people will calm down.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Got mine in Rockwall count today. If somebody offered me $20k less than the appraised value, I would start packing today.
YouBet
AG
Correction: my old zip was 75223. I didn't think 75214 sounded right. Unbelievable that Apple maps is that wrong even after all these years.

Not that anyone cares.

hph6203
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Homestead caps the increase to 10%, but you have to own the property on Jan 1st of the tax year.

100% This is a reprieve year like 2 years ago was for me. They followed it up with a 17% increase the following year. Everyone in Dallas saw an increase to their taxes last year due to the school tax increases and they probably didn't want to double down on that.

Combine that with even more restrictive caps on increases and increases in exemptions being discussed there's incentive not to fan those flames.
YouBet
AG
hph6203 said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

Homestead caps the increase to 10%, but you have to own the property on Jan 1st of the tax year.

100% This is a reprieve year like 2 years ago was for me. They followed it up with a 17% increase the following year. Everyone in Dallas saw an increase to their taxes last year due to the school tax increases and they probably didn't want to double down on that.

Combine that with even more restrictive caps on increases and increases in exemptions being discussed there's incentive not to fan those flames.

However, like the idiots we are we all just voted in 3 DISD tax increases in last election. Do those not take effect until 2020?

Anyone in DISD should see an increase because of that.
redass1876
AG
I got the full 10% again this year. 7 years in a row now at 8%+

Would happily trade property taxes being abolished for a state income tax
hph6203
AG
They don't abolish property taxes though. They charge you income taxes and then you have to pay property taxes on top of it. My house is assessed at 3.5x my annual income so I'm paying taxes at effectively 8%. Most states have a 5% income tax and property taxes >1% so you're still talking 8+% in taxes in a similar scenario, but I get to choose the nature of those taxes. If I were to sell my house and buy a less expensive one I'd be paying less. If I were to get married and my wife makes as much as me, we're not paying more in taxes to live where I live.
rebag00
AG
Protest worked, 14% reduction in overall valuation! I got my effective year built changed and property condition lowered with nothing more than $8 in mediocre photos from CVS. If you can, I strongly suggest going to your CAD and taking a shot at getting one or both of those two items changed (if you have effective year built).
Hood
AG
No change in value.

I'm shocked.
redass1876
AG
I understand that is not how other states work, but there is nothing but a room full of dip**** legislators stopping us from being the first to do it

Never truly own property as long as they tax you on it for life
redass1876
AG
rebag00 said:

Protest worked, 14% reduction in overall valuation! I got my effective year built changed and property condition lowered with nothing more than $8 in mediocre photos from CVS. If you can, I strongly suggest going to your CAD and taking a shot at getting one or both of those two items changed (if you have effective year built).
What kind of photos were you taking for this? Just find anything minor wrong with the house and claim it as wear and tear?

Scuffs in paint? Cracks? what?

TIA
hph6203
AG
Get a mobile home, you'll drastically reduce your property taxes and you won't have to pay income tax either. I'd rather my choices drive my taxes than my successes.

Right now I largely choose my local tax rate by what I consume, under an income tax I am obligated to pay a percentage of my income no matter what I choose.

The proposed sales tax increase to slow the rise in property tax seems like a quality idea to me though, because absolute necessities are largely exempt from sales taxes.
rebag00
AG
redass1876 said:

rebag00 said:

What kind of photos were you taking for this? Just find anything minor wrong with the house and claim it as wear and tear?

Scuffs in paint? Cracks? what?

TIA
Some of it was wear/tear, some is structural (minor cracks from settling above doors). I took a bunch of photos of my garage, driveway and my daughters bathroom, which has not been updated since we moved in. This was primarily for argument about property condition. Their scale goes from excellent to poor. Mine was listed "good". I asked for "average", which is one step down. The CAD rep agreed after seeing the pics. Its not the worst house on the block, but certainly not the most up to date without any faults structurally or cosmetically. So, I felt "average" described the house well.

The effective year built includes renovations and upgrades to the home, structural and fixture-wise. We had an effective year built of 2000, which then dropped to 1990. Renovations were completed in 2005, but nothing had been done since then, and not everything was renovated at the time. According to the CAD rep I talked with, she typically moves those effective year built down 8-10 years at a time every 3-4 years depending on the local market. So mine was due to come off, since it hadn't moved down from 1990 in at least 9 years.

Obviously you can take comps in and argue you are overvalued, but the comps in my neighborhood are insane right now and if I had argued the market, I would have probably had my valuation revised upwards. I could sell my home tomorrow for $150-200K more than the new CAD valuation. A bunch of homes in my surrounding blocks have traded in the last 12-18 mos for 2x their previous valuations.
752bro4
AG
Went in with a over-stated market value and an unequal valuation based upon my street analysis.

Asking for a 12% reduction, expecting a 0% reduction.
L8HIT
AG
Just looked and I'm up 1% in Pearson Farms - Frisco. It seems to have leveled off the last three years. I'll take that but will see if I can get it down some.
GeorgeBailey
AG
My land value jumped from $215k to $396k. Historic district where tear downs are prohibited.
DallasAggie0
What is that PSF? No tear downs doesn't mean land can't increase in value
knoxtom
Rice and Fries said:

And how do we feel about no state income tax now?

Whether through property taxes or income taxes, the State will get theirs. The difference is how cruel property taxes are on retired people. Total tax burden is remarkably consistent across States and directly relates to quality of schools, roads, hospitals, etc. Want a super low tax burden, move to Tennessee. Just don't complain when your kids get a 2nd grade education in 12 years of school.

Here is Colorado I pay about $1500 a year in property taxes and 5% in Income taxes. When I I retire some day my income will drop down to a real low number and I will only pay the 1500 (plus something for small income.)

In Texas that prop tax doesn't go away when you make less money. You get disabled or try to retire... better suck it up because you are still paying for that house every single year, even after you die.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.