Metroplex
Sponsored by

2019 DCAD values

8,495 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by YouBet
Vade281
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
75056. 7th year in a row capped out the homestead 10%.

175K to 295K.
aggielostinETX
AG
knoxtom said:

Rice and Fries said:

And how do we feel about no state income tax now?

Whether through property taxes or income taxes, the State will get theirs. The difference is how cruel property taxes are on retired people. Total tax burden is remarkably consistent across States and directly relates to quality of schools, roads, hospitals, etc. Want a super low tax burden, move to Tennessee. Just don't complain when your kids get a 2nd grade education in 12 years of school.

Here is Colorado I pay about $1500 a year in property taxes and 5% in Income taxes. When I I retire some day my income will drop down to a real low number and I will only pay the 1500 (plus something for small income.)

In Texas that prop tax doesn't go away when you make less money. You get disabled or try to retire... better suck it up because you are still paying for that house every single year, even after you die.

Not a brag, but 5% of my income, saved for retirement for 20-30 years easily covers $1500 property taxes and it's my money.
Post removed:
by user
double aught
AG
My rate stayed flat for '19. I'm shocked. And that's after I successfully contested last year.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Denton county, 75007. Down 1% on structure/improvement, no change in land. I'm fairly shocked... but I'm still going to protest. It always too high, always.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I countered at -5%.
County agreed to settle at -3.5%.
Ernest Tucker
AG
Mine was flat last year and they hit me with 17% this year. Negotiated it down to 5.9%.

It started a couple of years ago where every realtor out there is helping to protest values and I think it is overwhelming the capacity they have.

The solution is to give flat rates to half the population and slam the rest alternating each year. This helps to cut down the number of protests each year to a volume they can tackle.
Texas Ag Mom
We protest every year. Walked in at DCAD on Sat am & got it reduced 40k+.
hatchback
AG
Just for grins, I looked up the values for the house my wife and I are renting in Hollywood Heights:

Improvement: up 30%
Land: up 40%

This is for one of the smallest houses in the neighborhood that's in moderate condition. I hope the owners fight this because that's a crazy year to year increase.
aggielostinETX
AG
hatchback said:

Just for grins, I looked up the values for the house my wife and I are renting in Hollywood Heights:

This is for one of the smallest houses in the neighborhood that's in moderate condition. I hope the owners fight this because that's a crazy year to year increase.
Cant fight land...
King moto moto
AG
Bought my house back in 2017. Couldn't protest last year when it went up 9% from the sale price. This year it went up again 3.2%. Protested in person and got a 14% reduction today.

Very surprised but pleased.

I'm in Hollywood heights.
Ol Army 01 Post Boobs
King moto moto
AG
Deats said:

hatchback said:

Cant fight land...

How do you like the neighborhood?

I'm over on Clermont and we love it here.
Ol Army 01 Post Boobs
752bro4
AG
752bro4 said:

Went in with a over-stated market value and an unequal valuation based upon my street analysis.

Asking for a 12% reduction, expecting a 0% reduction.
Got a 1.92% reduction. I'll take it.
2wealfth Man
AG
Deats said:

hatchback said:

Cant fight land...
The whole property tax thing aggravates the hell outta me; its like a multi-headed hydra; you have to fight the budgets of these governmental entities that are driving tax rates, you have to fight the improvement values, you have to fight the land values, you keep getting exemptions lowered and lowered. This whole system is broken; especially when you have high growth areas. It is a relic of times past when property values and local growth were more stable from year to year.

Back to separate land appraisals; I would contend that land which is encumbered for a specific use (say for a home or a commercial use) really has no separate value outside of that use. I haven't delved into the local appraisal methodologies and what the land appraisal actually means/represents in context of the appraised value of the whole property but may go that route next year if things don't ease up on the constantly increasing valuations. Example, I have a friend with a piece of land with a pay parking lot. They are valuing it (the land) a X dollars per square foot. That is a useless valuation because the land has no utility except as a parking lot. It would cost significant dollars to remove the paving and remediate the property for another use. I just don't see how land comps work in this case; you would need to derive the assessed value from the income derived from the parking lot.

rant over.....
aggielostinETX
AG
You're not wrong.
Phat32
AG
The fact that I make an investment in a property at X value, then get taxed for unproven appreciation all the way to Y when I sell it, is insane.

I understand proven values but the appraisal scheme can **** off.

Imagine buying a stock at $100 and getting taxed every year you own it until you sell at $300?
dcAg
I had mine reduced a number of years ago. I looked at my comps (detailed information) and I was close to the bottom but still very expensive.
YouBet
AG
hatchback said:

Yep, see my post in first page. Especially not surprising in Hollywood Santa Monica (we used to live there) since you can't do much to the houses due to the strict historical rules. Best way to f^ck you there is do an end around and simply increase value of land instead.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.