Metroplex
Sponsored by

Questions about Frisco

9,732 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by erin2003
Spaceship
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My family and I are looking at a move to the burbs and are trying to learn more about Frisco. We live in Dallas proper now and don't spend much time north of 635. But we have two little kids and need more space and better schools/community. This will hopefully be a long term commitment - wherever we end up.

What areas of Frisco will hold their value the best? "Nicest areas"? Lowest density of apartments? Best areas for schools? Best access to the Tollway. Any areas that don't feel super cramped? Our budget will be $550k or so, which I think works well in Frisco.

Thanks - trying to become more educated!
380Ag
AG
Prosper, Celina and McKinney.

All better than Frisco.
Spaceship
AG
380Ag said:

Prosper, Celina and McKinney.

All better than Frisco.

No offense, but that wasn't my question.
380Ag
AG
No worries.
All areas of Frisco will feel supercramped. If you want to spread out, look at Prosper, Celina. Not sure where you are commuting too but both are right off of the DNT. If you can deal with a little space than Prosper/Celina can offer but want better schools, look at McKinney.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

No worries.

All areas of Frisco will feel supercramped. If you want to spread out, look at Prosper, Celina. Not sure where you are commuting too but both are right off of the DNT. If you can deal with a little space than Prosper/Celina can offer but want better schools, look at McKinney.
I live in Plano and avoid Frisco like the plague. They built everything right on top of each other and the traffic is horrible. $550K in Frisco will buy you your cookie cutter house on a zero lot line lot. Get to know your neighbors as you'll be able to high-five them through your upstairs windows. If location is not a factor, I'd recommend the burbs north of Frisco.
FC12
I believe the lowest density of apartments would be west of DNT. Around the mall you're going to have a higher density. There are some fantastic neighborhoods on the West side which is the side I'm on. May want to steer more to the Wakeland High School area. I would personally look away from LoneStar HS and the NW sections of Frisco...not that there is anything wrong with that area but the Wakeland zone fits your criteria much better.
FC12
Living in Frisco, I find your take interesting. Some neighborhoods are as you say but in no way is $550k relegating you to cookie cutter and no yard. Traffic? Please...have you been on the DNT in Plano during
Rush hour and around Legacy West? Those are just the two easy examples.

Prosper hasn't even finished out the roads. 380 is an absolute effing nightmare and the whole metroplex has traffic. Frisco is perfectly fine.
Spaceship
AG
Thanks all - this is good info. I commute to uptown and my wife works in healthcare and can find a job just about anywhere. The DNT traffic is the major compromise for Frisco for me.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
I'd be happy to spend some time on the phone with you if it would help.

My wife and I moved to Frisco in 1996 and lived there for 14 years. Moved to Prosper in 2010 and are still here.

I have clients buying/selling in the area all the time so I have a good handle on the area.

Shoot me an email if you want to set up a time to talk.

Cody@MyRobinsonTeam.com

Cody

Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
PlanoAg98
AG
Just as the statewide Houston <<< Dallas battle continues...

the Dallas suburb battle continues as well.

Plano >>> Frisco <<< Prosper/McKinney
mAgnoliAg
AG
550 will buy you a bigger corner lot 3000 sq ft new development in cookie cutter neighborhood. And yeah 380 is a freaking nightmare. Worst traffic situation I've ever seen without any accidents. The infrastructure is quite a few years behind the home builders
Candiru
AG
Allen, b 1 + c h e s !!
cadetjay02
AG
I teach in Frisco ISD and there are fairly noticeable differences in the 10 High school feeder patterns.

I find the west side zones of Wakeland and Reedy to be similar to Prosper in that there's a little more affluence and entitlement mentality. Too pretentious for me personally. Lone Star is an interesting mix of a lot of things going on, it grabs a little bit of Little Elm.

Memorial and Frisco High are central. Memorial is brand new and doesn't really have an identity yet. Frisco High is a mess and I'd avoid that zone.

The east side has Centenial, Liberty, Heritage, Independence, & Lebanon Trail. This side has larger Asian population than the west side, which I like and they take education seriously. Liberty and Lebanon Trail grab decent chunks of north Plano and are the most academically competitive. Centennial is a nice mix of all kinds of kids. Independence and Heritage are on the Northeast side and both grab big chunks of McKinney. They are not all that different from each other and pretty good schools.

Neighborhoods vary throughout all of these zones and a good realtor such as Cody can help you navigate and find what you're looking for. If it were me with that budget, my target neighborhood would be Hunters Creek on the very Southeast side of Frisco. Tons of shopping close, a couple minutes to 121, and feeds into the Liberty pattern.

cadetjay02
AG
Apartment density- most of the schools have a couple complexes in their zone. Lebanon Trail has the zone with all the apartments around Stonebriar Mall. However, those cost more comparatively so you don't actually get a lot of low income kids from them.
wangus12
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Just as the statewide Houston <<< Dallas battle continues...

the Dallas suburb battle continues as well.

Plano >>> Frisco <<< Prosper/McKinney
I'm just gonna drop the Lucas bomb!

Jk, we couldn't afford that so we're in Plano. But my SO teaches at Lovejoy so I say Lucas to sound wealthy
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
cadetjay02 said:

I teach in Frisco ISD and there are fairly noticeable differences in the 10 High school feeder patterns.

I find the west side zones of Wakeland and Reedy to be similar to Prosper in that there's a little more affluence and entitlement mentality. Too pretentious for me personally. Lone Star is an interesting mix of a lot of things going on, it grabs a little bit of Little Elm.

Memorial and Frisco High are central. Memorial is brand new and doesn't really have an identity yet. Frisco High is a mess and I'd avoid that zone.

The east side has Centenial, Liberty, Heritage, Independence, & Lebanon Trail. This side has larger Asian population than the west side, which I like and they take education seriously. Liberty and Lebanon Trail grab decent chunks of north Plano and are the most academically competitive. Centennial is a nice mix of all kinds of kids. Independence and Heritage are on the Northeast side and both grab big chunks of McKinney. They are not all that different from each other and pretty good schools.

Neighborhoods vary throughout all of these zones and a good realtor such as Cody can help you navigate and find what you're looking for. If it were me with that budget, my target neighborhood would be Hunters Creek on the very Southeast side of Frisco. Tons of shopping close, a couple minutes to 121, and feeds into the Liberty pattern.

Jay with lots of good info...he knows schools like few others.

And thanks for the shout out. Of course I love helping fellow Ags. And good call on Hunter's Creek...I've always been a big fan of that neighborhood.

Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
MGS
cadetjay02 said:

Apartment density- most of the schools have a couple complexes in their zone. Lebanon Trail has the zone with all the apartments around Stonebriar Mall. However, those cost more comparatively so you don't actually get a lot of low income kids from them.

Note that a lot of those Section 8 apartments in west McKinney are zoned to Frisco ISD.
cadetjay02
AG
Yep, they feed Indendence HS right now, but will eventually zone to HS #11 which should start construction in a year or 2 in Craig Ranch. Also, on that note, Frisco HS has low income housing in the zone to it as well.
gig em 02
As far south and as close to the tollroad as possible, that commute will not be fun. Some mornings it could take you 30 minutes to get from 121 to George Bush, even with no accidents, just a lot of people with their noses buried in their phones.
twilly
AG
I'm high on Hunter's Creek too...but I'm biased since I live there!

For $550K, you can get 4,000 sqft and a pool in HC. Home will be 12-15 years old. There is a new neighborhood just to the north of Rolater and west of Custer. I think $550 will be on the bottom end of the homes there. Still pretty early in construction but if the age of homes is an issue, that's an option.
fistofsouth
Spaceship said:

My family and I are looking at a move to the burbs and are trying to learn more about Frisco. We live in Dallas proper now and don't spend much time north of 635. But we have two little kids and need more space and better schools/community. This will hopefully be a long term commitment - wherever we end up.

What areas of Frisco will hold their value the best? "Nicest areas"? Lowest density of apartments? Best areas for schools? Best access to the Tollway. Any areas that don't feel super cramped? Our budget will be $550k or so, which I think works well in Frisco.

My only advice is I hope you like Cali transplants. There's a reason In-N-Out opened a location in Frisco.
AgLaw
AG
fistofsouth said:

Spaceship said:

My only advice is I hope you like Cali transplants. There's a reason In-N-Out opened a location in Frisco
This is your barometer? There's something like 20 In-n-Out burgers in the metroplex, exactly one of which is in Frisco.
fistofsouth
AgLaw said:

fistofsouth said:

Spaceship said:

My only advice is I hope you like Cali transplants. There's a reason In-N-Out opened a location in Frisco
This is your barometer? There's something like 20 In-n-Out burgers in the metroplex, exactly one of which is in Frisco.
Have you ever been to Frisco? Do you know any Cali transplants? I know about a dozen Cali transplants and most of them live in Frisco, but no it isn't my only barometer.

BTW Frisco was one of the first two opened in Texas, the other one was in Allen.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

There's a reason In-N-Out opened a location in Frisco.
First one was in Garland.
fistofsouth
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

There's a reason In-N-Out opened a location in Frisco.
First one was in Garland.
Nope

Still nope

"In May 2010, In-N-Out announced plans to open new spots into Texas, specifically within the DallasFort Worth area with the first In-N-Out opening in Frisco and Allen on May 11, 2011"
Ol Jock 99
AG
That's right. The one in Firewheel was supposed to be first, and was the first finished, but the city and them had to go round and round about the parking lot. Which is typical.
fistofsouth
Ol Jock 99 said:

That's right. The one in Firewheel was supposed to be first, and was the first finished, but the city and them had to go round and round about the parking lot. Which is typical.
I used to live in Garland. Glad I moved to Denton cause the cops just harass students up here. In Garland if you are Middle Class to Upper Middle Class they give you a hard time because they know the lolpoors just won't ever pay their fines.
Ol Jock 99
AG
https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2010/05/first-in-n-out-burger-in-texas-is-approved-for-garland/
riverrataggie
AG
Lol. Oklahoma board is what you are looking for.
smurphy07
AG
At a very similar stage as OP and looking to move in the next three to six months. Anyone live in Tucker Hill or know anyone? Feedback?
culdeus
AG
I'm blown away that 550k gets ZLL in Frisco. I have never been up there but for being so out of town I would have thought it was a little more spread out than that.

Everyone I know that lives in Frisco is about to go dress blue for the traffic.

Is there really nothing at the 550k range south of the wall anymore with decent schools?
tclub
I lived in frisco for a long time and loved it. Still do but want nothing to do with living there anymore. The traffic is ridiculous and makes you feel like you're inside 635. I moved to trophy club and love it. Have some 114 traffic but nothing like Preston and 121
cadetjay02
AG
Slow down on Tucker Hill till they decide what they're doing about the 380 bypass.

http://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/projects/us-highways/us-380-feasibility-studies

That being said, it is a pretty neat neighborhood with a unique feel.
YouBet
AG
My wife and I were checking out Legacy West one weekend a few months ago. We were just driving around checking things out. Driving through a neighborhood just north west of Legacy West and crested a hill and we basically had the same reaction as the Ent in Two Towers as he walked out of the woods.

All you could see was a sea of houses to the horizon. I was floored. Had no idea that much development had happened. The tollway didn't even extend past Legacy in 2003 and now.....Unreal.
AgLaw
AG
YouBet said:

My wife and I were checking out Legacy West one weekend a few months ago. We were just driving around checking things out. Driving through a neighborhood just north west of Legacy West and crested a hill and we basically had the same reaction as the Ent in Two Towers as he walked out of the woods.

All you could see was a sea of houses to the horizon. I was floored. Had no idea that much development had happened. The tollway didn't even extend past Legacy in 2003 and now.....Unreal.

When you are driving east on 121 and exit to go south on the Tollway, there's a point where you crest the ramp and to your left is the Star, Hall Business Park, Stonebriar, etc, and to your right is Legacy and Legacy West. Absolutely stunning. How quickly it has all popped up.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.