Metroplex
Sponsored by

Lake Highlands folks

6,681 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Phat32
Spaceship
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nashvilleaggie11 said:

I love that area and while I live in North Dallas, I visit East Dallas a lot (I'm actually gently sporting my East Dallas is Best Dallas shirt...free from Lake Highlands Oktoberfest.) We love using our family membership at the Dallas Arboretum and love eating at The LOT and Canne Rosso..and if you are feeling adventurous and open to getting to go from a hole in the wall, try Tacos La Banqueta on Gaston. Beware salsa... EXTREMELY HOT

Spot on regarding Tacos La Banqueta. The place looks sketchy but their tacos and salsa are amazing.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
robertf03 said:

I never see Dallas Diner get any love in these threads

It is completely average and wouldn't make any top 100 D Magazine list, but it is consistent and dirt cheap. A solid weekday place to eat if you aren't concerned with being late to work.

Dallas Diner - yeah not a fan been there a few times. service is spotty at best. Food is ok.

JJs is another interesting place - very hole in the wall has a cheap buffet on Sundays and it's basic homestyle cooking. We go there occasionally. In strip mall by Rooster Hardware.

Those 2 and Chubby's are overly populated by blue hairs - I'm 51 and I'm almost always the youngest person in any of those restaurants.

I think the proximity of those 3 to the senior living center right by Kroger is their lifeblood... and their downfall.

Oruc Reis
AG
Lots of good suggestions on here.

No one mentioned Thai food... Thai Opal is our go to.

Mariano's is our favorite TexMex in LH but El Vecino is our current favorite in the area.

Quick plug for Moss Park @ Royal and Arborside. It is a fantastic natural area with plentiful walking trails.
oldag941
AG
Some other recommendations that are consistently in our rotation:

Greek - Flaming Cheese on Forest
Thai - Thai2Go (pick up or deliver often)
Dive Bar - Kings X on Forest (used to be frequented by Don Nelson and the Wilson Brothers)

Outskirts of LH
Mexican - Tupinamba (owned by an Aggie basketball player under Kermit Davis)

As NW Highway establishments are easily accessible to those living in LHE, Wallace, WRE etc, I would say that the Greenville establishments are easily accessible to those living in MHE, MPE.

I live in the MHE / Moss Haven neighborhood and office downtown. I frequently drag either Abrams or Greenville all the way home rather than fight 75. Hence using Tom Thumb and Central Market at Lovers. Plus all other food establishments.
powerbelly
AG
oldag941 said:

I live in the MHE / Moss Haven neighborhood and office downtown. I frequently drag either Abrams or Greenville all the way home rather than fight 75. Hence using Tom Thumb and Central Market at Lovers. Plus all other food establishments.
I had this thought yesterday as I sat in traffic on 75.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
I'm in the same boat. Live a block away from Moss Haven and work downtown. Traffic is easy if you leave closer to 9:00 and go home closer to 6.

We have some good spots by Walnut Hill and 75 now as well. Also be sure to check out any events at OHB, your local brewery.
walton91
Oruc Reis said:

Quick plug for Moss Park @ Royal and Arborside. It is a fantastic natural area with plentiful walking trails.
Good mention. Moss Park has the White Rock Creek trail which goes past 635 to the north, and south down to White Rock Lake, in addition to soccer fields, Fair Oaks Tennis Center. off road bike trails
drewser95
AG
oldag941 said:

Dive Bar - Kings X on Forest (used to be frequented by Don Nelson and the Wilson Brothers)

Outskirts of LH
Mexican - Tupinamba (owned by an Aggie basketball player under Kermit Davis)
King's X is also Aggie-owned (at least one of the partners is an Aggie, that is)
Swede
AG
No one has mentioned 1NP yet?

If you want an old dive bar in the middle of LH with cheap beer and karaoke, check out the place at Skillman and Abrams that says "Cocktails and Dancing". It's called One Nostalgia Place and is a great local spot. Beware of inappropriate waitresses and drunk soccer moms.
aggielostinETX
AG
Getting ruined by hipsters
Swede
AG
I feel like this can be said about so many things these days. They already killed beards and lower greenville, now 1NP?
aggielostinETX
AG
So bad... made some lists and ruined it
Red Rover
AG
Lack of Asian food was mentioned. Try Zhao Thai and Sushi in the shopping center off of Royal and Skillman. Pretty good for a hole in the wall place.

The sushi place off of Walnuthill just east of 75 (in the Trader Joe's shopping area) is really good and there's a decent beer garden place next door for further after dinner drinks. Not in LH, but close by.
Red Rover
AG
eiggA2002 said:

Oh, and don't drive like a %^&ing Indy Car racer through the neighborhood. You're likely to get shanked for that!

If this post is about the black Dodge Charger that drives like an *******... ... ... sorry I was born this way.
Millner5220
AG
I see what you did there...clever.
AG
Well no paddle boarding for a while

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/news/local/250000-gallons-of-raw-sewage-heading-toward-white-rock-lake/287-568548474
powerbelly
AG
Where is a good spot to catch the Fourth of July parade?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
robertf03 said:

Well no paddle boarding for a while

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/news/local/250000-gallons-of-raw-sewage-heading-toward-white-rock-lake/287-568548474
yeah took my dogs to the WR dog park lake swim area today before I saw this.

Supposedly has not reached there yet anyway - and there was nothing noticeable. We rinsed them after because of the usual WR/lake water smell. lol.

But ugh...... not going again for a while.
Ol Jock 99
AG
powerbelly said:

Having the park torn up is definitely suboptimal...I'd say in front of the high school. There will be a carnival in the rec center area afterwards.
aggielostinETX
AG
**** you Plano
ursusguy
AG
Supposed to start hitting the lake late tonight, early tomorrow morning.

Thank God I leave for vacation tomorrow. There a lot of pissed off people. Expect a pretty significant fish kill mid to late next week. Long term, this will likely make mosquitos really bad this year (wipe out Gambusia through the White Rock Creek system.

Any water contact recreation is suspended until further notice.
oldag941
AG
Kind of LH, but they put on a good show at Royal Oaks CC. You can grab some early space along the street on Arborside or on Royal, west of Abrams.
oldag941
AG
As far as the sewage: **** happens (no pun intended...kind of). Contractor hit a utility while doing work. That happens all of the time but it's usually cable or phone. The reaction to it is the key part. I'm not sure if it could have been contained, but I'm interested in that. The contractor is typically held responsible for all impacts something like this brings. Most contracts require the contractor to identify all utilities (pothole them) prior to construction. Then have a plan if something goes wrong. Assuming 1 million gallons and assuming a 36" pipe, that's about 3.5 miles of surcharged (full) pipe. If it was pressure vs. gravity, it doesn't take long to empty that out before shutting a valve somewhere upstream. Anyway, how it was handled will be interesting to look at. Someone will end up paying for the impact.
aggielostinETX
AG
ursusguy said:

Supposed to start hitting the lake late tonight, early tomorrow morning.

Thank God I leave for vacation tomorrow. There a lot of pissed off people. Expect a pretty significant fish kill mid to late next week. Long term, this will likely make mosquitos really bad this year (wipe out Gambusia through the White Rock Creek system.

Any water contact recreation is suspended until further notice.

Can we manually restock?
Ol Jock 99
AG
powerbelly said:

Did y'all make it out? A good time was had by all!
powerbelly
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

powerbelly said:

We did. Our 19 month old had a blast!
aggielostinETX
AG
powerbelly said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

powerbelly said:

We did. Our 19 month old had a blast!

Time to join the Exchange Club
oldag941
AG
I second this!
Mr_mo8268
AG
Some pretty good grub in LH.
Hello dumpling is killer, good friend and goodfriend package is great with great owners, 20 feet, the Mexican joint on the corner, El Vecino is about as good as it gets for Dallas Tex mex (not saying much) and Alphonso's is very solid. I enjoy Tony's. Resident Taqueria is phenomenal but might be too out of the box for Dallas. Shadys and Mi Cocina are not worth time or money. Fish city is solid. Atomic Pie is very very good, and I've eaten pizza in Chicago and New York more times than I can count. Lounge Here is beautiful.
aggielostinETX
AG
Not a bad little post but Shady's is kids spot.

Local Traveler and Smoky Rose on the edge are pretty good.

Zato aint bad.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Deats said:

Not a bad little post but Shady's is kids spot.

Local Traveler and Smoky Rose on the edge are pretty good.

Zato aint bad.
Local T is great, good people running that show and it shows.
Phat32
AG
No love for Sprouts?
Ol Jock 99
AG
yukmonkey said:

No love for Sprouts?

Not with a family of 6. Nice produce though.
Phat32
AG
At least new Costco is close
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.