Metroplex
Sponsored by

Lake Highlands folks

6,611 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Phat32
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moving into our new house this weekend in lake highlands. I have never lived on this side of town and welcome any good local knowledge.
FincAg
AG
WRC > Starbucks
Shady's Burgers is great but be warned there are a ton of kids running around.
Lake Highlands Creamery > Andy's
Obey the schools speed signs please, and Ferndale is 30 mph.
Plano road to 635 I find easier than Audalia to 635.
Kroger is either convenient or the 7th level of hell depending on how much patience you have.
If you don't do at least 45 on NWH I'm going to honk at you.
The Starbucks at NWH and Ferndale backs up onto NWH sometimes in the morning to beware of the right lane.
Rooster and Ivey are very helpful local hardware stores. Lowes people don't know their arse from their elbow.
Corby dines at Taco Diner; happy hour at Fish City Grill is busy.
We are about to reach taco nirvana: Taco Diner, Resident Taqaria, Taco Joint, MI Cocina, then Fuzzy's at Abrams/Skillman, El Vecino at Buckner in OLH.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Welcome. Finc hit many of the high points. Deats and I need to work on getting some of y'all in the Exchange Club. Mark your calendar for the 4th of July Parade. It's on Church between the Bible Church and the High School at 9.

Which area are you moving to?
powerbelly
AG
I am off tory sound between royal and church
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
just moved here myself a few years ago..... I'll give you some newbie info and surprises for me.

Finc neglected to mention the new Andy's Frozen Custard place (near Shady's on Audelia at Walnut Hill) is TO DIE FOR!!!!! Seriously can't pass it now after dinner anywhere in the area. Better than DQ or Sonic or Braum's for the ice cream treats.

I think Shady's is great but Friday after about 5:45 is super crowded.

the new place there is a bit pricey and thinks highly or itself but not bad for a decent meal. Cedar and Vine. they will try to tell you their deserts are better than Andy's....they LIE.

The so called Post Office on NW Hwy in the shopping plaza that used to be Minyards (near the Rooster hardware store) is barely a post office. Good for only letter and package dropoff and stamps. They have no automated machine for example and NEVER more than one person working the line. Also not open Saturdays.

Avoid the local car repair places like Highlands or Wildcat or Nortlake - they take a long time and sometimes don't get it right. the only decent one is Christian Brothers on NW Hwy in front of Fry's. the Meineke near there is ok too for oil changes, tire rotation, etc. The hole in the wall place on NW Hwy near Kroger called City Tires is great for a tire patch or inspection. Quick too.

Dry cleaners are hit or miss. the one by Kroger on the east side (not facing NW Hwy but facing Plano road) is pretty good but not cheap called Clean Care. the other one Dallas Cleaners I have heard many stories about and very pricey. the lowcost one on NW Hwy by Meineke ("Dry Clean" it says on the sign) is cheaper and good service for me.

You won't believe how little a decent Italian meal or good pizza will cost you at Tony's on NW Hwy (also by rooster and the Post Office but it faces NW Hwy)....can be very crowded too after 5:30 on Fri or Sat. Lots of takeout orders and it is a small dive place. But great fresh quality food for like $7-$9 entrees. Lunch specials oo that are really cheap. It is BYOB.

The UA Legacy cinema is great - all redone on the inside, new lounger chairs, reserved seats and rarely much of a line for snacks. we love it. We leave the house at showtime and walki in and get in our seats before it starts and near the end of previews. Beats the hell out of fighting the crowds at NorthPark or traffic anywhere else.

The new Alamo Drafthouse on Abrams/Skillman is also very nice if thats your thing or yo want some food with your movie.

Best Burgers are all around here we have many choices - the aforementioned Shady's, but also Jake's over at Skillman and Abrams, the drive in old style Kellers on NW Hwy with bikers and roadsters on Friday nights, Dugg Burger for gourmet style down at Garland and Buckner in Casa Linda, also another Kellers on Garland and Flaming Burger is a dive place that some swear by and I actually like....but I always regret after. A little further away is the very very old but always good Dairyette on Ferguson down near Bishop Lynch.

Mexican is also prevalent -
Mi Cocina is awesome Walnut Hill and Abrams.
Mexicali - hole in the wall place on NW Hwy is decent, fast and cheap - and no regrest later
El Fenix down at Buckner and Garland in Casa Linda or up north at Audelia and Skillman by LBJ
Mariano's Hacienda at Skillman and Abrams might be my favorite - very crowded after 5:30 Fri or Sat

chinese food is sadly lacking in the area - good ones I mean.
Bobo China - up by LBJ and Plano Rd. some people love it I can't stand it
Snow Pea (or Egg Roll Yeahs as the sign says) is very low level cheap chinese food in a dive mostly drive thru
otherwise it's
Pei Wei down at Garland and Buckner
Hong Kong restaurant way down Grland road is ok

I'll try to think of more later.

Oh 24 Hour Fitness is great on Walnut Hill/Abrams.

If you have dogs the dog park at White Rock Lake is awesome with a swimming area too!!!!

For nice meals you pretty much have to go to either Lakewood or upton or some Greenville places.

Can't comment public on schools - we only attended private schools DA and Bishop Lynch around here. they were both great.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Does that feed in Moss Haven? A good burger place near you is Varsity Grill. Busy at lunch; dinner isn't too bad. No frills, but good. Tom keeps talking about retirement, but hasn't done it.
powerbelly
AG
Merriman park
aggielostinETX
AG
powerbelly said:

Merriman park
That's where my parents live, Dunmore.

Other likes:
Jake's, Atomic Pie, Primo Brothers, Varsity Grill, Moon Wok

Let me know when you need a yard guy.
jagged
AG
One90 at NW Hwy and Audelia for bbq/smoked meat sandwiches (mostly do to go orders, very small counter to eat)

Firexbox for sushi pickup, looks sketchy but is pretty good

Breweries including oak highlands and lakewood are a short hop north of 635

Others above have hit most of the high points I can think of. I too have an unhealthy addiction to Andy's frozen custard.
hbc07
AG
I'm currently hanging out in LH on Traillhill (like 3 blocks behind the HS) until I find a permanent house somewhere. I have nothing else of substance to add.
AgAttack
AG
Welcome to LH!
double aught
AG
FincAg said:

We are about to reach taco nirvana: Taco Diner, Resident Taqaria, Taco Joint, MI Cocina, then Fuzzy's at Abrams/Skillman, El Vecino at Buckner in OLH.
Since you mentioned it twice, I'd just like to say that Taco Joint sucks! Lots of bland, prepackaged ingredients. Not sure why it gets hype.

And to reach taco nirvana, you need Torchy's or Tacos y Mas.
Texker
AG
Bobo China is still there? Dang. That was our go to place a couple decades ago.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
double aught said:

FincAg said:

Since you mentioned it twice, I'd just like to say that Taco Joint sucks! Lots of bland, prepackaged ingredients. Not sure why it gets hype.

There is a Torchy's down on Buckner at Garland Rd.... I know thats not LH it's Casa Linda but it's close enough for us. We go down to that corner and area a lot.

There are other good things down there too....you are missing out if you don't head south a bit sometimes.

All of these are also at Garland/Buckner:
Another Broken Egg Cafe - great brunch
Lover's Pizza - great slices NY style
Nothing Bundt Cakes - great little Bundt cakes for special occasions
Havana Cafe and Mojito Bar - good cuban food
Dugg Burger - gourmet burgers
Pei Wei
Chili's

Albertson's which is 10x better than the hell thats is Kroger's right now.

other things nearby down that way off Garland Rd.

Casa Linda Bakery - great custom cakes for all occasions and some awesome cookies too
Hypnotic Donuts - I know the owner, awesome little place, creative
Smoky Rose - by the Arboretum very very good BB, more high end, great weekend brunch
Good Friend Beer Garden and Burger House
Quinn
AG
Cultivar is a great coffee shop down that way as well.
aggielostinETX
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

double aught said:

FincAg said:

There is a Torchy's down on Buckner at Garland Rd.... I know thats not LH it's Casa Linda but it's close enough for us. We go down to that corner and area a lot.

There are other good things down there too....you are missing out if you don't head south a bit sometimes.

All of these are also at Garland/Buckner:
Another Broken Egg Cafe - great brunch
Lover's Pizza - great slices NY style
Nothing Bundt Cakes - great little Bundt cakes for special occasions
Havana Cafe and Mojito Bar - good cuban food
Dugg Burger - gourmet burgers
Pei Wei
Chili's

Albertson's which is 10x better than the hell thats is Kroger's right now.

other things nearby down that way off Garland Rd.

Casa Linda Bakery - great custom cakes for all occasions and some awesome cookies too
Hypnotic Donuts - I know the owner, awesome little place, creative
Smoky Rose - by the Arboretum very very good BB, more high end, great weekend brunch
Good Friend Beer Garden and Burger House

Big fan of Casa Linda
AG
Ol Jock 99
AG
It is a hot topic, to be sure. I don't mind it, but I go during off peak hours 90% of the time.
walton91
double aught said:

FincAg said:

For Tex-Mex, everyone needs to be putting El Vecino all up in your face. Dat's some good sheet bro!
FincAg
AG
I have to respectfully disagree. Though their drinks are strong to quite strong, the food left something to be desired.

Beef and chicken were bland and unseasoned. The ground beef was especially fatty, like Kroger 70/30 with a bit of onion and no seasoning. The shrimp enchiladas were good, but construction of everything was not what I expect from a Tex-Mex joint. Enchiladas loosely rolled, not at all wet, crunchy rice and blah beans. The cheddar cheese enchiladas were OK, but I was expecting good gravy and mixed cheeses and not Wisconsin cheddar. Cruchy taco was reminiscent of Taco Bell.

That being said we tried to get just about one of everything but did not try the pork special or fajitas. Bright side, chips, queso, and guacamole were good.
powerbelly
AG
Thanks for the info everyone. Looking forward to checking them out.
walton91
Our experience from Friday was literally the opposite from what you described. We were very impressed with the quality of everything
FincAg
AG
This was a couple weeks ago so hopefully they will be consistently good. The Lot is that way too, sometimes really good and there times sort of blah.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
huh... El Vecino...new to me.

looked on map.....didn't even know there was a place in there by Alfonso's (on Buckner by that Green Spot and that fitness place) I'll have to check it out.

Is there still a bar in there too? I recall someplace maybe called White Rock Bar before kind of a hole in the wall.

what do people feel about Alfonso's by the way?.... I've eaten there once and it was nice I guess.... just I'd rather have Tony's for half the price usually. Definitely a nicer decor/environment so I would go there for a nice occasion rather than just feeding the troops which is my usual goal.

eiggA2002
AG
El Vecino & Alamo Drafthouse

Oh, and don't drive like a %^&ing Indy Car racer through the neighborhood. You're likely to get shanked for that!
AgLaw
AG
So, when do all of us who don't live in LH get to start posting about where we live being so much better?
aggielostinETX
AG
eiggA2002 said:

El Vecino & Alamo Drafthouse

Oh, and don't drive like a %^&ing Indy Car racer through the neighborhood. You're likely to get shanked for that!

Or just a really passive aggressive Nextdoor post
AG
AgLaw said:

So, when do all of us who don't live in LH get to start posting about where we live being so much better?

This thread seems appropriate. 3/4 of all the suggested places are south of nwhwy
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
robertf03 said:

AgLaw said:

This thread seems appropriate. 3/4 of all the suggested places are south of nwhwy

well 90% of LH is houses.... it's primarily a bedroom community. so....yeah.

you gotta go down to NW Hwy or further for most stuff thats not just North Dallas or Lakewood or Richardson or Mesquite.

and to the other non LH areas that are better....... feel free to start a Lakewood or M Streets or N.Dallas or HP or whatever thread.

PS - I'm not a LH diehard...I'll likely be moving out in 3-6 months myself. It's just a neighborhood. But most stuff is not chains so you kinda gotta know or ask.

aggielostinETX
AG
LH is is about to start its 5th major retail redevelopment. Each one has at least 3 eateries(many local), most with bars. That's a huge change from 15 years ago.

Casa Linda is about to do the same.

Also, the change in people buying walkable housing is interesting.

Lots of folks who bought in the 90/00s are very wealthy on paper. Be interesting to see who stays.

Weekly just got approved to build more houses in Stults. It's a strange world over here.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

I'm not a LH diehard.......It's just a neighborhood.
I humbly disagree. After having a fine yet isolating time in the burbs, we were extremely intentional about our move. We've been in LH 2 years this month and it is been nothing short of great. It is very easy to make new friends, getting involved in the community is highly encouraged, great parks, plenty of church options, entertainment options. The only real thing lacking is a really good grocery store, but I can live with Kroger and hit Central Market when needed.

#LoveLH #AllInDistrict10 etc.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

I'm not a LH diehard.......It's just a neighborhood.
I humbly disagree. After having a fine yet isolating time in the burbs, we were extremely intentional about our move. We've been in LH 2 years this month and it is been nothing short of great. It is very easy to make new friends, getting involved in the community is highly encouraged, great parks, plenty of church options, entertainment options. The only real thing lacking is a really good grocery store, but I can live with Kroger and hit Central Market when needed.

#LoveLH #AllInDistrict10 etc.

Well I'm anti-social so........ actually I had a lot more friends in the burbs myself but might have been due to kids and their activities which is no longer the case.

It's all friendly enough really.... but some of my neighbors are just old though and don't have anything better to do but complain about everything to everyone - the city, the FB group, the book club, the HOA, the email group, etc..... I don't go to any of it any more because all they do is complain.

PS - not moving because there is anything wrong with LH anyway... moved here for BL for my daughter. And my wife works 25 miles away and I work from home so... it makes sense to move back to Coppell or that area.

nashvilleaggie11
I love that area and while I live in North Dallas, I visit East Dallas a lot (I'm actually gently sporting my East Dallas is Best Dallas shirt...free from Lake Highlands Oktoberfest.) We love using our family membership at the Dallas Arboretum and love eating at The LOT and Canne Rosso..and if you are feeling adventurous and open to getting to go from a hole in the wall, try Tacos La Banqueta on Gaston. Beware salsa... EXTREMELY HOT
Millner5220
AG
For a fun night out near by... have to recommend One Nostalgia Place. Great dive and karaoke bar, at the corner of Abrams and Skillman. Don't let the used tire shop it shares the parking lot scare you off, this has become our favorite place.

Have to second the Lake Highlands Creamery... sticks to the spoon it's so creamy. Skip the line at Andy's.

Mexicali is our quick, cheap, go-to Tex Mex that has $2 margaritas at happy hour and they're always overflowing .

Mario Bros Tacos for a legit taco stand that's BYOB or great for call in and take out.

Latin Deli has the best chilaqueles around and great sandwiches if your looking for something a bit out of the norm.

We love Tony's Pizza & Pasta. Does get crowded on the weekends, but a great BYOB Italian spot with large entrees under $12.

Keller's wins my vote for burger spot near by.... bring cash!

Hope you love the neighborhood as much as we do.
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.