Metroplex
Sponsored by

Why are there no HEB's in the Metroplex?

19,285 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rice and Fries
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
_lefraud_ said:

HEB here in Granbury, and a few months after it opened, Kroger closed and built a brand new store right across the road from HEB.

The most populated area of Fort Worth could be at this HEB in about 30min, roughly the same time it would take that person to get to DFW airport.

#notthemetroplex
Umm...yeah.

Any savings or products you get from driving past 100 Krogers with their fake sales is lost by time and gas.
#logicfail
_lefraud_
AG
I certainly don't. I would pass Brookshires, Walmart and Aldi to get to the HEB. That would make zero sense. It's just a grocery store.

My comment referencing Granbury's location was in regards to the OP. I'd assume if McKinney, Prosper or Denton had a HEB (maybe they do) then the question would have never been asked. I don't consider those places anymore metroplex than Granbury.
Rudyjax
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I certainly don't. I would pass Brookshires, Walmart and Aldi to get to the HEB. That would make zero sense. It's just a grocery store.

My comment referencing Granbury's location was in regards to the OP. I'd assume if McKinney, Prosper or Denton had a HEB (maybe they do) then the question would have never been asked. I don't consider those places anymore metroplex than Granbury.

39 miles??
_lefraud_
AG
?
AgFB
AG
You guys still go into the store? Clicklist FTW
Rudyjax
AG
AgFB said:

You guys still go into the store? Clicklist FTW

I love to go to the store.

YouBet
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Very confused. You would drive 30 minutes to go to a grocery store? Seriously?

My time is clearly more valuable than yours.
aglaohfour
AG
We live in South Fort Worth, and I can drive to HEB in Burleson, do curbside pick up, and be back home in 45 minutes.

Or I could drive 5 minutes to Tom Thumb, spend 30 minutes shopping for my own stuff, pick through their crappy produce and meat selection, not buy store brand anything because Safeway brand stuff in general sucks, deal with their rude employees, spend 30% more than I would at HEB, and drive 5 minutes home.

Yeah, I happily make my way to Burleson once a week. But I'd give a kidney to have the closest Tom Thumb replaced by an HEB.
_lefraud_
AG
No, I would not. I don't even drive the extra 5 minutes to go to the HEB.
My Dad Earl
AG
Live in Burleson so HEB is my go-to. I pass up a Kroger and Walmart Neighborhood Market to get there. It's funny because Kroger Marketplace opened up a store across the street from HEB a couple of years ago. Since then, I've never seen them be able to get even a third of the parking lot full, while HEB is constantly packed. There's a reason people in Texas love HEB so much.
Canyon99
The HEB in a Waxahachie is decent but the crowd is unbearable at all times of the day. No thanks.
hijakeroo123
AG
Canyon99 said:

The HEB in a Waxahachie is decent but the crowd is unbearable at all times of the day. No thanks.
The Waxahachie location is on tap to be expanded soon. An expansion proposal was making its way through the city back in the fall, so hopefully they will start construction soon. I definitely agree; it is far too packed and is often out of stock on certain items due to the Dallas crowds flocking down there on weekends.
SoCalAg97
AG
Dr Lane Trowlan said:

robertf03 said:

Grew up in Dallas so my exposure to HEB is limited to Central Market, the old and new heb on holleman, and the heb in bryan

heb doesnt seem any different than the grocery stores here. The Tom Thumb/Kroger/Albertsons in the poor neighborhoods are terrible while the expensive areas are nice.

If I need the most generic of items I go to the albertsons on garland and buckner, but half of that neighborhood sucks and the parking lot is trashy so I dont mind driving over to CM. That Tom Thumb on gaston is a joke, they have nothing.

WRONG.

Ha ha completely agree. As a matter of fact, I had to read his post twice to really make sure I read it correctly.
Joe Exotic
AG
I go to the HEB and Kroger in Granbury. The Kroger usually has far better deals on beef so I get that there and most other stuff at HEB. Kroger had choice briskets the other day for $1.68 a pound while HEB had select briskets for $2.49.
752bro4
AG
Bump
Quote:

HEB Grocery Company LP leased 37,411 square feet in Bluffview Towers at 3890 W. Northwest Hwy. in Dallas. Randy Cooper and Wills Bauer of Cushman & Wakefield represented the tenant. James Esquivel of JLL represented the landlord, BSP Bluffview LP
37k square feet of office is quite a bit (would house at least 100-120 people assuming normal office set-up), just north of Love Field. I'm sure that's strategic for SWA to/from SAN, and with quick access to 35, DNT, and 183.
Ag CPA
AG
Could be tied to supporting CM ops.
hijakeroo123
AG
This is accurate, H-E-B has had the headquarters for CM here for several years now. This lease is likely either a renewal or an expansion of space.
752bro4
AG
Looks like you guys are right. They've had space there for quite some time according to DCAD.

Thread fail, ban user.
AggieBarstool
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Although there is a void in my part of East Dallas right now.

NW Hwy and Plano Rd. there is a Kroger that is super crowded horrible parking and (because it is near a couple of retirement communities) navigating the aisles is often an obstacle course of scooters, walkers, and other just really really slow people.

The other nearby grocery (Sun Fresh) at NW Hwy and Ferndale closed 2 years ago - sold to HEB actually as part of 6 places they bought (2 being developed into Central Markets)....but they have no plans for that location and have not sold it either.

There are no other groceries in about a 4 mile radius from there. Closest are:

Buckner/Garland Rd. - Albertsons
NW Hwy across LBJ a ways there is both a Walmart (at Saturn) and a Tom Thumb (at Centerville)
NW Hwy the other way there is a Walmart past Skillman
Skillman and Abrams there is a Super Target
way over across the lake at Mockingbird and Abrams is a Tom Thumb
way up at Forest and Royal is another Tom Thumb

It's a real dead zone. And I hate both Walmart and Target anyway.

You're really splitting hairs there, dude.

The six places you listed + Kroger + Aldi (not listed) is more than enough for that area close to White Rock Lake.

Central Market and Whole Foods aren't inconveniently located, either, if that's your jam.
hijakeroo123
AG
I actually agree with Zombie on this one. I driver past the Kroger in question on the way home in the evenings, and even though I prefer Kroger over most of the local competition, I will drive out of my way to go to a different location (or a competitor) just because the parking lot is such a pain to navigate, and the store is far too small for the traffic it pulls. If H-E-B was to open in the former Minyard Sun Fresh space, it would be amazing, but would also likely face the same traffic issues. Maybe HEB could buy out the soon to be dead Fry's just down Northwest Highway and bring a decent sized grocer to the area? Side note, the Tom Thumb up at Skillman/Royal is also terrible (store is undersized and the clientele often seems sketchy), and there aren't any other grocers convenient to that part of Lake Highlands due to traffic patterns.

91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

We live in South Fort Worth, and I can drive to HEB in Burleson, do curbside pick up, and be back home in 45 minutes.

I don't do curbside pickup for perishables and other things. I always get the nearest expiration dates and often the worst looking pieces. It is worth my time to browse the items and take what I'm looking for. But, I'm probably pickier than most.
TAMUallen
AG
Whatever happened to the HEB that was to come into Euless at the Glade Parks development?
culdeus
AG
Tom Thumb is so bad it makes regular HEB look good. Kroger isn't so bad. I wonder if they try to compete head to head where there are Krogers.
Southlake Ag
AG
HEB bought over 20+ parcels of land all over DFW several years ago. When they decide to
Build on these parcels is anyone's guess.
AgBQ-00
AG
Tom Thumb used to be top notch. They went down hill fast when SafeWay/Albertsons bought them out.
RockyMtnAg09
AG
At least y'all have big gas stations. My wife does most our grocery shopping but occasionally she'll have me pick something up. When I lived in Dallas I could just go to a QT or racetrack and they'd have what I needed. Here in Colorado the gas stations are tiny and have nothing but cigarettes and energy drinks. Oh and Whataburger...
hph6203
AG
culdeus said:

Tom Thumb is so bad it makes regular HEB look good. Kroger isn't so bad. I wonder if they try to compete head to head where there are Krogers.

Kroger is pretty damn good for a generic grocery store, especially in comparison to Tom Thumb. Tom Thumb is not good, although the one by my house has tried a little recently. They finally put the self checkout lines back in.
Kate Beckett
AG
HEB had bought some land at the corner of Exchange and Greenville in Allen. Right across the street from Kroger. Then they sold it.
culdeus
AG
Those super HEB down south of Austin are pretty great. They could be other places too just not aware.
NomadicAggie
AG
We moved from the Houston area to the DFW area about a year and half ago. The grocery store situation here is an abomination...and we even live near a CM. We hit CM for some things we like, but the Tom Thumb/Kroger situation here is so incredibly sub-optimal compared to the HEB's sprouting up all over the Houston area. My wife and I talk all the time that if they just built one near us they would CRUSH it. (we're in the Southlake/Keller/Trophy Club area...)
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I don't live near a Central market. Krogers is the best up here but just today was talking with another teacher who like me moved from Central Texas. We mourn for our HEB. There are so many Texas items no one else has, their store branded things rock. I miss their coffee and so, so many other things. I will on rare occation drive to Waxahache, but that one is so busy you can't get up and down the aisles. I don't want to do crubside because I need to browse the richness that is an HEB. Since I have reached adulthood in the 70's this is the first time I have had to live where there is no HEB. I almost want to drive to Belton JUST to spend a couple of hours shopping. I honestly don't care about the price. I only do Krogers now because I don't like any other store in Arlington/Mansfield for the gas points. I don't mind pick up or home delivery from there because I get NO pleasure from the store. I LOVE being in an actual HEB store.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Southlake Ag said:

HEB bought over 20+ parcels of land all over DFW several years ago. When they decide to
Build on these parcels is anyone's guess.
Hopefully sometime this century.
TexAggee05
AG
KROGER. There is no S in the name of the store!
YouBet
AG
Tom Thumb has a fantastic wine selection and prices for a grocery store.
_lefraud_
AG
Drive down Rendon Rd to Burleson
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.