Metroplex
Sponsored by

Why are there no HEB's in the Metroplex?

19,113 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rice and Fries
culdeus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

Tom Thumb has a fantastic wine selection and prices for a grocery store.

I find their wine prices higher than Central market and even whole foods. Central market 10% off 6 bottles is nice and often they do regional 20% off 3.

They (TT) do have a good selection. But I worry about the turnover on anything decent.
YouBet
AG
culdeus said:

YouBet said:

Tom Thumb has a fantastic wine selection and prices for a grocery store.

I find their wine prices higher than Central market and even whole foods. Central market 10% off 6 bottles is nice and often they do regional 20% off 3.

They (TT) do have a good selection. But I worry about the turnover on anything decent.

Have found to be true with CM in some cases, but no way on WF. WF is consistently $5-8 dollars higher.

Unless, they have very recently dropped prices because we mostly stopped going there in the last 6 months or so with the new CM that opened at NW Hwy and Midway.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Get my wine and spirits at Specs. Very occasionally at a grocery store. But then I am a woman and might see grocery shopping differently than a male.
permabull
AG
OkinTexas
AgFB said:

We have both Kroger and HEB in Burleson. We always have liked the Kroger much better.

I've always preferred Kroger. The Signature Kroger in North Richland Hills/Hurst is awesome.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I had a marketplace even. They just dont have much Texas food. HEB features the type of food I much prefer. My Kroger might as well be in another state. I honestly never care about cost. Just variety and quality.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Ok, made the drive to Burleson yesterday. I would almost move there if I did not love my overture highlands apartment. Although the parking lot was packed, as soon as I walked into the store it even smelled right.

I could have spent hours there. It did not matter the item, the variety and choices were SO much better than any kroger in Arlington or Mansfield. I think I have tried them all.

There are so many Texas vendors that only sell there. Was able to get Indepencence coffee as well as the cafe ole HEB coffee pods I love. It was worth the trip for the coffee alone (a food group in my house). It was like a theme park of grocery stores. If I had a larger fridge and freezer and a spare room to store things, I would even have bought more. I guess it is going to have be a once a month trip for me, with small local fill ins for bread and milk.

I don't see now any other store even stays open with one of these in the area. I don't think they would have any trouble with competition from other stores if they would just come into the metroplex.

The soup aisle alone puts anywhere local to shame, infinite choices of salad dressings and my beloved Whataburger mustard. I was using one way past the expiration date because I don't like any other kind. I would do curbside pickup next time if I did not have such pleasure just roaming the aisle. And they had fresh balck eyed peas. Also frozen and the good canned ones with snaps. As I said so many choices.
Kate Beckett
AG
When we go visit my grandpa in Corsicana, we always make a HEB run for items we can only get there.
wbt5845
AG
I think there are plans for an HEB in Mansfield.
YouBet
AG
Whole Foods was always expensive yet high quality, but it's really gone downhill since Amazon bought it. They are out of stuff all the time now.

We are now going out of our way to Central Market because of it. Wife hates WF now.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I checked on google and central Market in fort worth is much harder to get to than going to the HEB plus in Bruleson. Otherwise I would have tried it. I live off of 20 in Arlignton at the Highlands. Too much major traffic to get to that Central Market.

I can take Matlock south to Debbie and Debbie all the way to 35 and than a back road that comes out right at the HEB. NO traffic issues at all, just some time and patience.
FincAg
AG
Damnit, it isn't Dallas.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2021/03/26/the-grocery-war-is-on-h-e-b-is-making-its-move-into-d-fw/
aggiesherpa
AG
But it's a start!
PlanoAg98
AG
Plano & Frisco. Wut! Wut!
Ol Jock 99
AG
Really good news. Get them to redo the center they own (last I checked) at NWH and Ferndale and life will be beautiful.
rsf0626
Kroger and Tom Thumb's worst nightmare coming true.
double aught
AG
Tom Thumb more so, IMO.
rebag00
AG
FincAg said:

Damnit, it isn't Dallas.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2021/03/26/the-grocery-war-is-on-h-e-b-is-making-its-move-into-d-fw/
If it's anything like the Costco deal - not enough kick backs and tax incentives offered by Dallas.
Log
AG
Friggin' awesome! I drive by the Preston/Spring Creek corner on the regular, and it's only a couple miles from my house. I noticed a guy on an ATV there a couple of weeks ago doing some surveying, so now I know what that was about.
Gladiator 96
AG
rsf0626 said:

Yep. I live a mile from the proposed site in Frisco. There is a Kroger right down the street and it will likely take a huge hit from the competition.
Rice and Fries
rsf0626 said:

HEB be like:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.