Metroplex
Sponsored by

RIP 102.1 KDGE The Edge

9,794 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by YouBet
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I didn't love everything they played now, but was still the station I listened to the most. Sad to see the EDGE go.
Agnzona
I just had it on and I'm like they are playing the same song over and over?
ftworthag02
AG
Rip
Vince Blake
Used to drive around at lunch listening to the EDGE because that was when they played exclusively 90s music.

And The Adventure Club with Josh was nails.

I haven't listened in awhile, but 94.5 was definitely a big part of my teenage years.
Quinn
AG
Yep, The Adventure Club was great stuff.
YouBet
AG
I blame Alt Nation.
Dallasag02
AG
Corby just said 24/7 Christmas music starts tomorrow, followed by adult contemporary after January 1.
Quinn
AG
They did say that their sound was moving to 97.1, so I wonder if the eagle will become more of an alternative station rather than hard rock. Or they might just say that since it's sort of similarish music.
Ol Jock 99
AG
That's terrible.
LeFraud
Agnzona said:

Yes, "closing time" by semisonic
AliasMan02
AG
Anybody else remember when Michelle played the Barbie song over and over again for the Top 8 at 9? Seriously like 10 times in a row or more. Was probably 1997-98.

I always figured it was a stunt to kill the song forever, but thought it was just hilarious.
coppag92
AG
LeFraud said:

Agnzona said:

Heard that earlier over and over. Was wondering what the deal was with that.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I started listening to 94.5 around 91 or 92. No-repeat Thursdays were awesome.

Back when the Edge was actually alternative and you'd hear gems like MC 900 Ft Jesus - When the City Sleeps.

As much as I loved the grunge explosion in the early/mid-90's, I think it was part of the death/conversion of the Edge. That music was initially non-mainstream, it drove a lot of listeners to them, and they forever followed the charts afterwards.

4lilmonkeys
AliasMan02 said:

Anybody else remember when Michelle played the Barbie song over and over again for the Top 8 at 9? Seriously like 10 times in a row or more. Was probably 1997-98.

I always figured it was a stunt to kill the song forever, but thought it was just hilarious.
Yes! I was in the car with my boyfriend and we changed the channel almost immediately. Came back later and it was still playing. I can remember exactly where we were. I still laugh about it any time I Heart Radio's One Hit Wonder channel plays it (which is way too often in my opinion).

Kind of a bummer. I had it saved in my presets for our trips back home to see my family...
Street_Cred_Norm
Edgefests were always some of the best concerts I ever went to. So many good alternative bands and one full day of partying.
coppag92
AG

Quote:

Currently, the station (which you can also listen to online) is playing "Closing Time" by Semisonic on repeat, along with a message telling listeners "You can hear the sound of 102.1 The Edge at 97.1 the Eagle. Beginning Thursday at 5:00 you can hear the new 102.1." Another message says "Thanks for 27 great years."
http://www.guidelive.com/music/2016/11/16/1021-edge-radio-station-kdge-moves-to-eagle

So today at 5pm we go to Xmas music and then Jan switches over to elevator music (for the olds)?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Started listening from the beginning when I was 15. Crazy to think it's gone, but I can't say I'm surprised given music trends over the last decade or so. Will be interesting to see just how much 97.1 changes.
AliasMan02
AG
Honestly, this is probably smart. Targeting a demo that still listens to the radio instead of one that increasingly doesn't.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
In honor of the edge....

jtmoney03
AG
LeFraud said:

Agnzona said:

Semisonic when they get their next royalty check...

Hotard06
AG
Bands don't get royalties from radio play.
culdeus
AG
I really don't get how there is a reason for music radio to exist anymore.

Content driven radio has a place, but for music Pandora/Spotify rules over all.

When the EDGE got bought up by the man and it was a dark day. They used to support local artists and local labels like One Ton and played a huge role in getting the Toadies off the ground, and tried their best to get others going.

I can't really recall tuning to them in the last 15 years, but that goes for all music radio. I have no idea what they would have been playing as of last week.
AG
AliasMan02 said:

yeah. Pretty sure it was fall of 97. that may have been the last time I listened to that station.

DMN article got it right. Kind of sad, but it's been dead for over a decade already. Seems like the few times I've flown by there it's the same playlist as it was in the 90s and not that different from the eagle, except every 3rd song wasn't Ozzy
Quinn
AG
When did the Adventure Club and The Local Show stop? They were still going in the mid-2000s.
helgs
AG
5:00 PM switch.....

Last song (on repeat for 48 hrs): Semisonic-Closing Time (RIP Edge!)
Played the history of the Edge for about 5 minutes.
Santa did a countdown for the "switch".

"Star 102.1"
First song on new format: Wham!-Last Christmas
Ol Jock 99
The Collective
AG
I'm going to tune in and wait for "Christmas Shoes".
walton91
Boys at the ticket talking to George Gimarc and Local Ticket Mark. Corby tweeted this playlist

1992 Playlist

Garrelli 5000
AG
I forgot about "the beautiful". What a weird, cool band. I had their cassette.
bert harbinson
AG
helgs said:

5:00 PM switch.....

Last song (on repeat for 48 hrs): Semisonic-Closing Time (RIP Edge!)
Played the history of the Edge for about 5 minutes.
Santa did a countdown for the "switch".

"Star 102.1"
First song on new format: Wham!-Last Christmas

Vomit. Star 102.1? More generic, corporate garbage. Christmas music, and they start with Wham? Just pull the damn plug.
AG
bert harbinson said:

Vomit. Star 102.1? More generic, corporate garbage. Christmas music, and they start with Wham? Just pull the damn plug.

Seems to be the formula for radio station format changes around here. Have an interim format before getting serious. Lets all the people who wouldn't give it a chance forget why they are mad
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
So is 97.1 the eagle changing at all. Or are they just inviting listeners there cuz it's the sister station?

Cuz generally speaking I can't stand the eagle.

Probabaly rather just do 92.5 and embrace my oldness. They are starting to play mid 90s grunge anyway.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Theyve started mixing in music from the edge slowly so far from what I can tell.
MicheIangeIo
AG
anyone remember fletch?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Whelp, they are playing that 21 Pilots crap on the Eagle now.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.