Austin
Sponsored by

Anniversary Dinner Recs

5,454 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Howdy Dammit
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are coming to town in a few weeks for our anniversary and I need recs for a nice dinner and any good after dinner drink spots.

We're pretty open to anything.

TIA
Ag_EE_88
AG
We were pleased with Trulucks when we were there a few weeks ago.
The Fall Guy
AG
Oilcan Harrys
jmm
Hestia
Red Ash

Are our go to places when we want to burn cash and have a great meal.
Throwout
AG
Jeffrey's is our favorite for anniversaries. They do a great job making it special. Plus, the bar afterwards is perfect for an after dinner drink or two.

If that doesn't do it for you, here's a few of our other favorites:

Fonda San Miguel
Juniper
Este
Lutie's
Justine's Brasserie
Eberly

jmm
Agree with Jeffrey's. We have done more anniversary dinners there than any other place
Potcake
AG
Mongers
El Naranjo
Perla's
Red Ash
Austin Land and Cattle (haven't been but have heard it is one of the best in Austin)
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Sammies
Lenoir
Canje
Uchi

Or any of these
https://austin.eater.com/maps/best-fine-dining-restaurants-austin-where-to-have-nice-dinners
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Texas Chili Parlor
FredMc92
Barley Swine. https://www.barleyswine.com/

The only issue is that it's not downtown (I'm assuming you're staying downtown), so you'd want to take an Uber to/from.
BrokeAssAggie
Ag_07 said:

Wife and I are coming to town in a few weeks for our anniversary and I need recs for a nice dinner and any good after dinner drink spots.

We're pretty open to anything.

TIA
J Carver's has the best steak I have had in Austin.

https://www.jcarveratx.com/

Roosevelt Room has really good drinks

https://www.therooseveltroomatx.com/
Ag_07
AG
Thanks everyone for the great recs (besides the gay bar).

Jeffery's was the choice but damn they don't have any tables 2 weeks out. Not sure if that's the norm or if there's something going on that weekend but a lot of these places didn't have any tables. Was kinda shocked things were booked up 2+ weeks out.

Ended up going with Barley Swine and based on the reviews and write ups we're really looking forward to it.

Now if anyone has any good recs for low key wine or cocktail bars for after dinner drinks I'm still looking.
javajaws
AG
Late night drinks: https://www.tiki-tatsuya.com

You'll need reservations.
Potcake
AG
drinkwell is not very far from Barley Swine.
https://www.drinkwellaustin.com/
wadd96
AG
How about a private, in residence meal? I know a guy... (unless you are staying at a hotel....)
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Swarely
I love ALC, but it is really laid back if that might be a problem for y'all for a celebration. I see people dressed up there all the time, but I also see people in blue jeans and a t shirt. I have gone there in my shirt and shorts before after work, so I'm part of the problem.
Ag_07
AG
This would be a great idea if we were staying more than 1 night but due to babysitter availability we're only doing one night and we're staying a small studio AirBnB with basically no kitchen.
wadd96
AG
All good. We did one last year ( and more private dinners) last night but they had kitchens...
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
Swarely said:

I love ALC, but it is really laid back if that might be a problem for y'all for a celebration. I see people dressed up there all the time, but I also see people in blue jeans and a t shirt. I have gone there in my shirt and shorts before after work, so I'm part of the problem.

I saw a man in spandex bike shorts and a tshirt at Perry's. Granted that was 15 years ago.

Also - Jeffrey's used to be WAY better before the perlas people bought it. Come at me IDGAF
BrokeAssAggie
Agree. A lot better places in town than Jeffery's, IMO.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Barley Swine will be great, it's about 5-7 years past it's prime but in my opinion a new Austin staple. I don't think Bryce Gilmore I'd there a lot anymore but his style is all over it

There is no damn dress code anywhere in this city which I feel like takes away from ambiance of a nice meal. I know plenty of folk disagree and like to put their doggie bags in their cargo short pockets
Ag_07
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

There is no damn dress code anywhere in this city which I feel like takes away from ambiance of a nice meal. I know plenty of folk disagree and like to put their doggie bags in their cargo short pockets

Interesting you brought this up and I agree completely.

I noticed this when looking at all these places and was pretty thrown off guard by photos of people sitting there in tshirts hoodies and shorts.
Aston 91
AG
Never been there and not sure how strictly they enforce it, but J Carver's website says "PROPER ATTIRE PLEASE. NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN." on the homepage.

But in general, yes this town is still slacker city when it comes to dining attire. We laugh when we're taking out of town guests out to eat and they ask if they're dressed up enough.
wadd96
AG
If there is a restaurant in this city that won't accept me in starched Wranglers and shirt, maybe a sports coat, and a cowboy hat... well, they won't get my money. Especially when I am wearing a World Champions Belt Bucles and custom made boots (yes, I know... a brag... not a humble one.)
AggieOO
i don't give a sheet what anyone else is wearing when i go out to eat. Sometimes we dress up, sometimes we don't....but what someone else is wearing, has zero impact on my dining experience.
The Fall Guy
AG
If we want to dress up we go to New Braunfels. Austin and San Antonio have allowed some sloppy and ghetto dressed people in their establishments. I understand they want the business but we prefer a place to wear nice clothes, have a good drink and meal without having someone yelling "What's up dawg!" In a Hoodia and low pants
Aggietaco
AG
The Fall Guy said:

If we want to dress up we go to New Braunfels. Austin and San Antonio have allowed some sloppy and ghetto dressed people in their establishments. I understand they want the business but we prefer a place to wear nice clothes, have a good drink and meal without having someone yelling "What's up dawg!" In a Hoodia and low pants
Where is the last place you ate that someone yelled "what's up dawg" in a hoodie and sagging pants?
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
My wife and I like to go to Trattoria Lisina in Driftwood. It has a great atmosphere and it's best to reserve a table.

https://trattorialisina.com/
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
Martin Cash
AG
Vince Young Steakhouse. Say hello to Cote.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Potcake
AG
If you're focused on the attire of other diners during a special outing, is it really that special?
Ag_07
AG
Potcake said:

If you're focused on the attire of other diners during a special outing, is it really that special?

Not sure if serious
austinag1997
AG
Justine's has significant waits oftentimes.
The Fall Guy
AG
Aggietaco said:

The Fall Guy said:

Where is the last place you ate that someone yelled "what's up dawg" in a hoodie and sagging pants?

In Austin. It's very common to see sloppy dressing people. Especially guys. Women dress up but guys dress in old jeans, Hoodia, t-shirts with baseball caps on. Disrespect to their significant others who take the time to look good.
Potcake
AG
I heard y'all were in town, sounds like you're pretty busy doing makeovers.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
You'd be the best dressed person at in any place in Austin dressed like that. I'd love to dress well enough that you thought I had been on QE.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.