Austin
Sponsored by

LBJ Lake House

1,659 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tejas Ag
Pale Rider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm exploring the possibility of buying a lake house on lake LBJ.

Ideally, looking for a lake house that is actually on the water, not on some off-beat channel that eventually leads to the lake. No strong preference in location (eg Horseshoe Bay, Kingsland, etc).

Wanted to see if anyone has any insights on this - never owned a lake house before so it's new territory.

Where to begin, things to consider, realtor recommendations, etc.

Thanks!
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
Responded to you on the RE forum.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
Hudson2508
AG
Where you look on the lake depends a lot on what type of lake experience you are looking for. My parents have had a place in Kingsland on the Llano for a long time and we love it. However, the Llano is probably not ideal for a lot of people. I think it's the best wakeboarding/skiing water on the lake since a lot of the bank is undeveloped with a few big ranches as it goes upstream. There's also a really nice sandbar at the end of the lake/start of the actual river. However the downsides is it's prone to flooding with no dam control and also is very shallow in spots and requires you to know where not to go. The last flood has made it hard for even us since it washed away some of the main channels and filled them with sand. Kingsland is also not the nicest/safest town in the world. Lots and lots of meth around. Also the restaurants and small HEB in town aren't great. Most of them have turned over a lot and I honestly don't have a good feel if any of them are good at the moment.

The Colorado River portion of Kingsland is nice and the water is very cool in he summer being tailwater from Inks lake. However it is fully developed on both sides the whole way and can get crowded and choppy on busy days. When I was a kid we'd drive up to the dam and swim in the cold water and it was fun but preferred the Llano for spending most of our time. Would be cool to get a place on the golf course though.

Granite Shoals is a nice part of the lake too but we didn't spend much time there either. Also closer to Marble Falls if you get a house on that side of the lake. Always found this area of the lake choppier than the Llano though.

Horseshoe Bay is what it is. It's my least favorite part of the lake because the water is terrible on windy/crowded days. However the positives are the resort/development around that area and proximity to Marble Falls which has much better restaurants and HEB. If I was interested in water sports I would pass on HB. There might be some coves and spots to do those things but I prefer to stay away with our boat. I honestly haven't been to this part of the lake in like 5 years.

I prefer the Llano but I'm also kind of biased. I also like to fish and have historically caught way more fish on the Llano than anywhere else. I like to go park at the sand bar and hike upstream to fly fish and it's wonderful.

If you want to talk on the phone about it let me know, happy to do it. For price of entry and viability of finding a spot I'd talk to a realtor, I unfortunately don't know any though.
WestTexasAg
AG
We were looking at HSB in late 2020/early 2021. That was obviously a terrible time to buy.....so we didn't. Anyone know what inventory and prices are looking like now compared to back then?
Tejas Ag
AG
Solid post, would love to try the fly fishing tip some time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.