Austin
Sponsored by

Lesson learned - don't leave stuff in your vehicle

3,690 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Keeper of The Spirits
dmart90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ate at Sway in Westlake for the first time last night. Pretty solid food. The communal seating is a little weird.

The downer though was my truck was broken into. Some loser busted out the right rear window and jacked my computer bag and laptop. Sad part was I saw another SUV was also broken into, the perp busted the same window, and glass was all over a baby seat.

Don't tempt people. Because they suck.
Martin Cash
AG
Good news: You're in West Lake Hills, so the PD may actually investigate and catch the perp.

Bad news: You're in Travis County, so the DA will never prosecute the case . . . unless the perp was an off duty cop.
dmart90
AG
The Westlake cops did show up pretty quickly, were friendly, professional, and seemed interested in catching who did it. I'll given them that.
Billy Foster
AG
Had similar incident at Austin Beerworks a couple months ago. Luckily my computer was at home. They did manage to steal our diaper bag, probably thinking it was a computer bag. Walked out the my truck at 7:45pm to find my window and a couple others smashed. I decided from then on, my computer will never be left in my truck in a parking lot, even it means dropping it off my house just to turn around and backtrack to the grocery store, etc.
HECUBUS
AG
That stinks. I've had a work laptop stollen downtown. That's a mess. I learned an easier lessen at Sway. Don't order the red duck curry. Do order the lotus margarita.
The Fall Guy
AG
Yea do not leave anything in view. Multiple breakins at the office in Central Austin during the day. Car drives up, smash window out from their own car. And drive off. No getting out of their car required. Cops won't do a thing but I understand the cops actions. They don't have the manpower to do anything.
KT 90
AG
The Fall Guy said:

Yea do not leave anything in view. Multiple breakins at the office in Central Austin during the day. Car drives up, smash window out from their own car. And drive off. No getting out of their car required. Cops won't do a thing but I understand the cops actions. They don't have the manpower to do anything.

And if the do take the effort to do something, the DA will probably drop the charges anyway. So yeah, I understand cops not being too interested in the smash and grab stuff. Pretty pathetic of our DA and City Council to foster this situation.

Aust Ag
AG
I just don't lock up anymore, even at night. I just make sure nothing is in the vehicle when I get out. The people doing smash and grabs don't know how to "hot wire" or whatever to steal it. Not worth it to replace a window because they wanted the spare change in my console.
SteveBott
AG
I do the same. I have nothing in my car…ever. I leave my car unlocked to save me the glass replacement. I only carry when traveling out of town and I just take my gun with me when not in the car.
CapCity12thMan
AG
my friend had his window and rear view mirror busted up only for the perps to take $2 in change laying around the cars. Never a reason to lock your car if there is nothing in it.
Aust Ag
AG
I see people locking their doors at church where there's armed security walking the parking lot, or getting their mail at a kiosk (while I leave my car running). I think it's just habit for most that probably needs to be rethought. Not in all cases of course…if I'm coming home from work and I have to stop at the store and my laptop is with me, I will lock up…but will put the laptop under a mat. Daytime is pretty safe though.

Sucks that this happening to folks, these break ins. These thieves obviously not worried about getting caught.
Aggietaco
AG
The problem is, not only do they not have a real worry about getting caught, even if they get caught they get a slap on the wrist and turned back out.

I know we can't actually remove fingers or hands for theft, but it sure would be nice if there were some hard labor options still available to give these a-holes a few months to think about breaking into a car again.
wargograw
I'm happy to put tint on all you guys' windows. Thieves cannot see in. Also not as easy to break into.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I know a guy who had two pistols stolen out of his truck vault at top golf, called the cops and they said they don't even come out for that. Crazy people choose to live like this.
austinag1997
AG
My buddy's truck got broken into (laptop stolen) during lunch at Roaring Fork Quarry Lake... back when they were opened for lunch. Back in the day.
Hey Doc, my psoas is sore
wargograw said:

I'm happy to put tint on all you guys' windows. Thieves cannot see in. Also not as easy to break into.
If you have tint on your windows will it prevent the ceramic from spark plugs from shattering the windows?

wargograw
boomer on social security said:

wargograw said:

If you have tint on your windows will it prevent the ceramic from spark plugs from shattering the windows?

Wow definitely never seen that. The film should keep the glass together (it is just one big, strong sticker) at least.
Medaggie
Bay area is a cesspool for this. My brother travels for work and precovid someone broke into his rental and stole his laptop.

No trips since but he started to travel again. This past weekend, while he was sitting in his car, someone broke his window and took his laptop. WHILE HE WAS IN THE CAR.

People just don't care anymore in cali.
cruiserag2020
Wargo: do you do quotes for tint?

cruiserhead2020@gmail.com
Charpie
AG
Medaggie said:

Bay area is a cesspool for this. My brother travels for work and precovid someone broke into his rental and stole his laptop.

No trips since but he started to travel again. This past weekend, while he was sitting in his car, someone broke his window and took his laptop. WHILE HE WAS IN THE CAR.

People just don't care anymore in cali.

I guess back in 2017, I had my laptop stolen from my rental in Portland. It sucks and all the cops did was tell to fill out some form online.

For those of you who leave your cars unlocked, my neighbor employed the same philosophy until they actually stole her car. It was all of two weeks old too. Took it out for a joy ride, completely gutted it and was found on fire in SE Austin.

*******s are *******s
Johnny Park!
Just had all of our stuff stolen in a smash and grab in Portland too.

I would have loved to put hands on the meth head who did it.
We should never cede the moral high ground to people who justify the debasement of society as reparative justice and then lie to us about how, why and even whether it’s
being destroyed from within.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
TTT
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.