Austin
Sponsored by

Austin FC - 2022 Season

1,295 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tamc93
I bleed maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I know there were several people on this board who bought tickets or followed Austin FC. Season one was pretty bad - full of growing pains, as expected, BUT...

Year two has started out far better than anticipated. Near the top of the standings, with several key building blocks added to make it appear as though the team will have staying power for a playoff run.

I have had season tickets both years, and am enjoying them quite a bit so far. Season one, mainly for the novelty of it, but this year, as a full-fledged fan who has high hopes!

Kudos to my next door neighbor who is a huge soccer fan, and convinced a novice like me to get seats with him last year.

I'd like to get people's thoughts on all things Austin FC - players, coaching, strategy, fan support, the stadium, seating, concessions, etc. I'll throw out an initial thought, just to get the party started:

Is Alex Ring now expendable? With Driussi being an obvious captain candidate, and Periera filling in nicely into Ring's natural role/position, is it time to move on from Ring? He has always seemed like too much of a hothead to be an effective leader, and the team seems to actually improve when he's not in the game. Thoughts?
Furlock Bones
AG
there's a season long thread on the soccer board.

https://texags.com/forums/51/topics/3252111/last
ausag
AG
Season ticket holder here!

I'll leave a comment in regards to your last question. I think Ring is a huge liability in the mid field. He can't finish, pass, or possess the ball effectively. I'd like to see him go, but have a hard time seeing them do that right now. Especially with the fact they made him a designated player in the off season.

Side note, get rid of Lima too! All he's good for are the long throw ins!
I bleed maroon
AG
Furlock - Thanks! I didn't know there was a thread over there. I'll keep the soccer talk over there.

ausag: Yeah, but Lima is AWESOME at the long throw-ins! Got us a goal the other night.

As far as the stadium, I am happy overall with the way it turned out. I'm in the Premium Terrace near mid-field. It's nice to be in the shade all the time. I filled out their end-of-season survey with detailed thoughts on how to improve things, and they did improve the concessions app and ATX Cash process a bit. I still think the food choices are not that premium for being in the "Premium" Terrace, but I just go down to Valentina's or Bao'd Up in the end zone on the way in to the stadium. Wish there was a better beer selection outside of the Beer Hall (their selection is quite good).

My seatmates (neighbors) sat in the Lexus suites a few weeks ago, and were very impressed. When the new rail stop is moved to the east side of the stadium, it will be very convenient for a lot more people (when is that supposed to happen?).

I'm going to Willie's 4th of July concert, with 5 others. Any one else going to the first concert ever in Q2 Stadium?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
We are going to Willies, the Lexus club is nice but was way too crowded for the US National team game. I was hoping the FC would make me more interested in soccer but I'm still casual at best and am glad I didn't end up buying season tickets. A few of my buddies did and I probably get a text for every game from them trying to give them away
Mike Elko
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

We are going to Willies, the Lexus club is nice but was way too crowded for the US National team game. I was hoping the FC would make me more interested in soccer but I'm still casual at best and am glad I didn't end up buying season tickets. A few of my buddies did and I probably get a text for every game from them trying to give them away
Please keep me in mind if any tickets go unused... Looking to take my kids to a game soon. Thanks!
JT88
AG
My wife and I have become big fans. It is great having a local team to support and the atmosphere is spectacular. Pro Tip: Adelberts (90+ minutes before kick) will allow you to park for free and it is closer than most of the pay parking. Pregame there and minimize need for refreshment inside. This will also work at Celis (where they have more dining options) but walk is longer and fewer sidewalks.
Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb mad dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.
jah003
S
JT88 said:

My wife and I have become big fans. It is great having a local team to support and the atmosphere is spectacular. Pro Tip: Adelberts (90+ minutes before kick) will allow you to park for free and it is closer than most of the pay parking. Pregame there and minimize need for refreshment inside. This will also work at Celis (where they have more dining options) but walk is longer and fewer sidewalks.

Adelberts will be gone at the end of October. Getting bulldozed for office buildings.
JT88
AG
Saw that, dangit. So frustrating.
Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb mad dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.
fig96
AG
ausag said:

Season ticket holder here!

I'll leave a comment in regards to your last question. I think Ring is a huge liability in the mid field. He can't finish, pass, or possess the ball effectively. I'd like to see him go, but have a hard time seeing them do that right now. Especially with the fact they made him a designated player in the off season.

Side note, get rid of Lima too! All he's good for are the long throw ins!
No offense, but you don't seem to know quite what you're looking at with Ring.

He's not (and is not going to be) a goalscorer, but the work he does in the midfield clogging up passing lanes, tracking back on defense, and moving forward and creating space for other players is not something that shows up on the scoresheet.

His Designated Player status is primarily an accounting move, but he's absolutely worth the money he's paid.

If you want to dive into feel free to post over on the soccer board thread, happy to get into the details.
ausag
AG
I'm offended! Jk!

I get it, but still seems like a waste playing him that far up. IMO, i know it's only the MLS, but you still have to be able to score the gimmes! My take was more about me venting than assessing his role on the team.
fig96
AG
Haha, sorry

It honestly involves a lot of moving pieces, Pereira has really improved in his second season and can effectively play the holding midfield spot that Ring occupied last season (and has played most of his career). Last season when Ring tried to push upfield we got blown up on the counter attack several times, but this year he can play a bit more forward without that concern. He also combines really well with Driussi and does a lot to start our attack from the midfield. He's not a great finisher which is his one reral shortcoming, but he's also scored some bombs in the past.

If you look at the ground he covers it's actually really impressive, his yellow card on Saturday was after he tracked back like 40 yards to break up an attack. He's still finding his exact spot in the new position, but by end of season I expect things to really be clicking for him and the rest of the team
cityagboy
AG

What the hell is this? If the argument is that he shouldn't have been signed in the first place I can understand that. But he did nothing recently that warrants being cut or sat. Unless others have information I haven't seen.
Mike Elko
AG
Lol... Los Verdes. I don't like Dominguez at all, but that's just cheesy.

Beat it (no pun intended), dorks.
tamc93
AG
Anyone have 4 good tickets for tomorrows game?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.