Austin
Sponsored by

Prop A question

4,579 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BenFiasco14
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
World Series was flooded with ads to vote no last night. Was your typical, "if you support this, you are against progress." commercial.

deddog
AG
Martin Cash said:

Best endorsement for Prop A: The Unamerican Misstatesman is against it.
So is the mayor and most of the City Council.

Vote YES.

deddog
AG
Champ Bailey said:

So I've seen the literature around the city on it, and I understand it helps fund more police, more community policing, and better training for them.

My question on it though is the price tag. They are saying $54 million a year. So what happened to all the money from "defunding" (whatever technical name you want to use, I don't care) the police department last year?

I understand and support the idea, but effectively are we being screwed over by the city council by this? As in they take a bunch of money from the police last year, redirect it in their pet grift programs, and what a surprise, crime went up, so it will now cost $54 million/year for them to do exactly what they were doing in their jobs pre-Covid?

City Council is against this because this is an unfunded mandate, that will force them to divert money from their pet diversity projects and scams and towards policing.
ByrdEWhiteTrash
AG
Thanks for the info. I did some googling:

Austin voters will have a chance in the Nov. 2 election to authorize the city to trade nine acres of city-owned parkland for at least 48 acres of waterfront property that will complete the existing John Treviño Park. The nine-acre parcel, while legally dedicated parkland, has never been used as anything but the site of a maintenance facility. But because it's parkland, state law requires that the public vote on whether to sell or trade it. The likely purchaser will be tech giant Oracle, which wants to add the smaller plot to its headquarters in East Austin.

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2021/10/prop-b-city-to-vote-on-east-austin-parkland-swap/

deddog
AG
ByrdEWhiteTrash said:

Thanks for the info. I did some googling:

Austin voters will have a chance in the Nov. 2 election to authorize the city to trade nine acres of city-owned parkland for at least 48 acres of waterfront property that will complete the existing John Treviño Park. The nine-acre parcel, while legally dedicated parkland, has never been used as anything but the site of a maintenance facility. But because it's parkland, state law requires that the public vote on whether to sell or trade it. The likely purchaser will be tech giant Oracle, which wants to add the smaller plot to its headquarters in East Austin.

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2021/10/prop-b-city-to-vote-on-east-austin-parkland-swap/

I also read that about 98% of the lobbying for Prop B has been done by Oracle
deddog
AG
Also to put PropA in perspective, the city has spent $500 million or so on 3000 or so homeless people in the last 5 years.
But can't seem to find money to increase policing.

Vote for PropA, though if it loses it's still a win.
All those yuppies living downtown will be the first to deal with the results of a thinned police force.
Sandman98
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Employee at HEB on mopac and parmer was shot the other day trying to stop a guy from stealing a purse.
evan_aggie
AG
The problem is with how they went about wanting more funding. They proposed a 2:1000 ratio as a hard line in the sand.

They should have just said boost police staffing levels by 10% over the next 4 years or something like that more palatable.
Aston 91
AG
I personally spoke to someone who was in the store when it was robbed and she said it probably took 15 minutes for police to respond because the cops in the area had responded to the HEB robbery/shooting. Still unacceptable, but a long way from an hour. I'm not happy with the current crime trends in Austin, but I also don't trust much of what MM or his PAC says.
BQ78
AG
But you trust the city council and mayor?
Aston 91
AG
BQ78 said:

But you trust the city council and mayor?
Never stated or suggested I did. It is possible to distrust the information coming from both sides of an issue, particularly when they both have agendas and repeatedly provide biased accounts.
BQ78
AG
And that will be how the Republic will die, because the truth cannot be found anywhere.
Aston 91
AG
BQ78 said:

And that will be how the Republic will die, because the truth cannot be found anywhere.
And on that truth we can agree. I remember the advent of personal computers and the dawn of the internet being hailed as "The Information Age". A more appropriate moniker would be "The DisInformation Age".
tlepoC
AG
Inevitable outcome. The only way to control an era of open information is to drown it with so much garbage that you can't tell fact from fiction.

As I've said many a time, I really really miss the early internet.
Martin Cash
AG
evan_aggie said:

The problem is with how they went about wanting more funding. They proposed a 2:1000 ratio as a hard line in the sand.

They should have just said boost police staffing levels by 10% over the next 4 years or something like that more palatable.
It has to be specific with this city council. Otherwise, they will find some way to ignore or delay as they did with the camping ban. They are simply despicable liars and can't be trusted to do anything the voters say.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Agthatbuilds

Hope yall like collecting your own evidence because it's going to continue that way
Martin Cash
AG
BREAKING: Early voting numbers show two-thirds of Austin residents are total dumbasses.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
The Dirty Sock
Morons and even more indifferent morons
BenFiasco14
AG
Austin liberal perspective has to look something like this based on this vote versus Prop B.

"Homeless people? In MY neighborhood?? No way. Look at all of this"

Turn to police vote:

"Cops are racists! Why do we need cops? Thank god the homeless are gone"
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.