Austin
Sponsored by

Anyone concerned about RRISD re implementing mask mandates?

12,839 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ReloadAg
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With other school districts deciding to defy state law and re implement their mask mandates, I'm concerned RRISD will follow suit. Has anyone heard anything?

I did receive a survey from the district via email last night asking whether or not my kids will be wearing masks to school but I can't determine the intent of the survey. Was it simply to plan for re organizing some classes into mask vs no mask or are they taking the temperature of the community (which is full of Karens) before going with a mask mandate?

I'm so tired of this bull**** it makes my blood boil.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Not RR, but PISD sent an email this morning that tomorrow "while we cannot require them, masks are strongly recommended".

Hoping it stays that way.
SteveBott
AG
Instead of asking here just look at their website

https://roundrockisd.org/covid-19-guidelines-2021-2022/
jopatura
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Not RR, but PISD sent an email this morning that tomorrow "while we cannot require them, masks are strongly recommended".

Hoping it stays that way.

Nope. Travis County requiring it in schools tonight.
Aust Ag
AG
Wonder how Leander plays this, with some schools in Travis County?
jopatura
AG
I would assume those specific schools had to comply. RR has the same issue.

Although at this point who knows who gives the finger to who.
jah003
S
jopatura said:

I would assume those specific schools had to comply. RR has the same issue.

Although at this point who knows who gives the finger to who.

That's not correct. No school in LISD is currently requiring masks. They are recommended but not required.
jopatura
AG
Dear Pflugerville ISD Pfamily,

As you are aware, the City of Austin and Travis County have issued a joint mask order under Ch. 418 of the Texas Government Code. As Gov. Abbott's order GA-38 suspends those provisions under Ch. 418, we have received legal guidance that the order may be without authority. At this time, Pflugerville ISD will not mandate masks, but we will highly encourage them, along with vaccinations, to curb this pandemic and protect our staff and students.

Pflugerville going with the Governor.
discobrob
AG
I am very concerned about rrisd. My biggest concern is that the driving factor behind decision making seems to be which group of people are the loudest. I'm hoping integrity wins the day. But.
Ag9701
AG
Not very concerned. I was planning on having my kids wear masks anyways until we have more clarity what the next few months will look like.
ReloadAg
AG
I've looked at their website and know the current policies but I'm just concerned with the "follow the leader" mentality we've had with Covid all along that they'll jump on the bandwagon of stupidity at the last moment.

It's re assuring though that so far none of the suburbs have followed Ausyin/Travis county. I'm less concerned today than I was when I made this post.
96ags
AG
Ag9701 said:

Not very concerned. I was planning on having my kids wear masks anyways until we have more clarity what the next few months will look like.
I am very happy that you have the freedom to make that choice for your children.

I hope all other parents are afforded the same opportunity.
MouthBQ98
AG
I'll give you a hint: cloth and surgical masks filter down to about 30-10 microns based on quality of construction and filter media.

CoVID particles are riding in aerosols that are sized from 0.02 to 10 microns, and mostly in the 0.2 to 5 micron range.

An n95 or KN95 will catch most of them for several hours.

The surgical and cloth masks are virtually useless against an aerosolized virus. If you want people yo have a false sense of security and suffer needlessly, keep letting the foolish pushing masking have their delusions implemented, but months out of date bad CDC data that was based on droplet and contact spread versus aerosolized spread is a shoddy basis for policy.
SteveBott
AG
We have been using KN95 masks for months. Not sure why the CDC and other experts have not really pushed the 95s. I know there are lot of fake 95s out there but they could clean that up.
Potcake
AG
Why is there so much angst about kids wearing masks to school? Last year it was because they couldn't go to actual school. We've been wearing masks for a year and a half so it isn't a novel concept and the freedom thing seems to be a red herring.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I will go oppo on this one, forced masks have physcological affect on all of us but especially kids. You need to fell safe and comfortable to learn bests and mask disturb both of those
SteveBott
AG
And you make that statement of fact how? Are you 8-10 years old?

If ask my kids directly

Do you want to go to school? Or stay home.

Do masks bother you?

I'd form my action plan after hearing what they think. I would not overlay my opinion, political thoughts, or biases on them.
96ags
AG
SteveBott said:

And you make that statement of fact how? Are you 8-10 years old?

If ask my kids directly

Do you want to go to school? Or stay home.

Do masks bother you?

I'd form my action plan after hearing what they think. I would not overlay my opinion, political thoughts, or biases on them.

I think that is all most folks are asking for; that you nor anyone else overlay your opinions or political thoughts on them or their children.

Mandating mask doesn't do that.
SteveBott
AG
No masks are the recommended science as of today. Not my opinion. It is professional scientists. I trust them not my own opinions.

As noted already a bad mask is no mask. Everyone needs a 95 of some sort. Again science
Potcake
AG
Not sure I ever felt a psychological effect or unsafe from masks, not saying I like them either. Pretty much stopped in June but have used them more last few weeks when I go to office, church, or grocery.

Why isn't there outrage for requiring PFD's or carseats for children, or seatbelts for adults? Restrictions abound but masks are the hill some people want to die on? This is an ideological issue, not a freedom issue.
96ags
AG
SteveBott said:

No masks are the recommended science as of today. Not my opinion. It is professional scientists. I trust them not my own opinions.

As noted already a bad mask is no mask. Everyone needs a 95 of some sort. Again science

Wear whatever YOU want. Leave everyone else alone.
SteveBott
AG
Did I tell you what to do personally? Nope. I said let your child lead the discussion. See what they want. Do they want to be with their friends? Their teachers? Are they ok with masks to do that.
Ag9701
AG
School from K - graduate school and then life are full of being forced to do things we don't want to do.

I am not sure what the right answer is regarding a mask mandate, but I agree with Potcake on this one.

Either decision is going to cause too much angst for many parents. I think if parents teach their kids to respect either decision and move forward for now, kids will do best.

I don't think the schools are doing any of this with malicious intent. I think it is a hard decision when you have such strong opinions esp for a new superintendent. If you take a step back, I think any administrator will have a hard time going against the majority of the medical community and the CDC.

96ags
AG
SteveBott said:

Did I tell you what to do personally? Nope. I said let your child lead the discussion. See what they want. Do they want to be with their friends? Their teachers? Are they ok with masks to do that.

Thanks for the parenting advice, but I'm good.

I think you've become too emotional to speak rational about the subject. Have a good evening and good luck to your kids.
SteveBott
AG
Nice. I doubt posters think my posts are emotional but hey have a nice life yourself
mic suede
96ags said:

SteveBott said:

Thanks for the parenting advice, but I'm good.

I think you've become too emotional to speak rational about the subject. Have a good evening and good luck to your kids.

F16 Karen alert.
ReloadAg
AG
We don't wear masks anywhere. Haven't since May of last year. I hate them with a burning passion.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The psychology of learning and team performance in a safe and inclusive environment is well documented.

Kids do many things they don't want agree. The best thing we can do is not fight over it and reduced the anxiety of the uncertain. I am indifferent overall but the messaging on both side sucks. In Japan, you where a mask when you have any symptoms of anything as a courtesy. If we framed the discussion on courtesy and respect and not left/right, lib/conservative it's be more productive. Assuming we have any courtesy and respect left.
SteveBott
AG
I 100% agree. The worst thing to happen in this country is the virus got politicized. This virus does not care who you vote for, your party, red or blue or whatever. It is really holding us back.

I don't like masks just like most of us. I wear them now after getting my shots as a courtesy to those around me. I do think we need to wear better ones such as the 95s since single cotton ones are worthless as stated.

KN95s are a dollar a piece and one can last for weeks
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
FIFY

The worst thing to happen in this country is the virus was it got politicized.

We are our own worst enemy and both sides are wrong and right about half the time
MouthBQ98
AG
It gets even better. Turns out the only study the CDC officially has on cloth masks says they are WORSE than no masks, but they set it aside, ignored it, and recommended masks anyways to calm (delude) the public. That is how you build trust.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
If you have access to that, I'd love to read it. That is how my wife and I have decided we will guide our decision making. Read the actual studies, no news reports or other, but read the actual material. If its behind a paywall we can likely get it through our respective institutions
rcannaday
AG
My little second grader said this after last year's school season when the teacher finally took off the mask and let the plastic shield come down. "Dad I can finally hear what the teacher was saying." I didn't think about it but as a form of learning our children need the ability to see words form with the mouth to learn new words, as well as hear auditory instructions and teaching. Hard to do that when the teacher's voice has to go through a mask then over several plastic shields in a class.

Also based on stats I was able to be privy to, those students who took their education virtually did the worse statistically on standardized exams and had some of the lowest grades in the classes they were in.

discobrob
AG
District mask mandate incoming. Board wants it. Travis county judge allows it. Williamson county health is all in. It's happening. Only Abbott can save us now.
ReloadAg
AG
Abbott said he's fighting back in court against the districts that have implemented it thankfully.

The thing that gives me hope is the neighboring suburb districts haven't done it yet. To my knowledge only AISD has and they're a bunch of commie idiots.

The only thing that cloth diaper on their face is good for is catching the **** that comes out of their mouths.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.