Austin
Sponsored by

Shooting on east 6th

6,695 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Furlock Bones
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.npr.org/2021/06/12/1005841633/13-hurt-in-downtown-austin-shooting-suspect-not-in-custody

I am sure we will have a few here celebrating with an end zone dance about how right they are about Austin being a trash city but sticking to what I said on the other thread I can focus on what can be done.

Outside of thoughts and prayers I find these types of incidents very tough. I'd love to believe that more police presence would have helped, I'd love to hear OP_o6 perspective on this one
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
That article cleverly fails to mention that the shooter is black. Doesn't fit the narrative.
wargograw
What do you mean by you "find them very tough"?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The solution to them, I don't see an easy one
Gun control methods where guns exist largely in the wild already do not work.

That's why I'd be interested in our resident officers take. on if this is an issue of understaffing or other "reform" methods we can speak with our reps about.

Usually that part of 6th is heavily patrolled sand you can't tell from the article but it sounds like someone was just spraying bullets, so in a crowded situation full of bystanders would increased police presence helped
Bird Poo
AG
More police? I thought liberals want to defund the police.

6th Street is a hood culture hangout and shlt goes down every weekend. The only reason people are talking about this one is because the media picked up on it and the number of people involved.

May the hand wringing continue.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Interesting solution you provided

Hadn't seen any mentions of defunding or political affiliations here, I don't see any news that the shooting seemed politically motivated. Agreed that is not a part of 6th I like to be after midnight
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Austin just chased off their last homegrown police chief they will ever have in Manley. Went to Johnston high, knew the East side and has grown with the changes in town. Now with the woke Council and Mayor there will be a steady stream of Acevedos or worse. I'm glad he retired when he did.
Terrible night for Austin and it's sad to see. We all hate to see this violence.
Bird Poo
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Interesting solution you provided

Hadn't seen any mentions of defunding or political affiliations here, I don't see any news that the shooting seemed politically motivated. Agreed that is not a part of 6th I like to be after midnight

I think more police is the solution. Does it make sense to ignore how/why Austin officers are leaving in droves while city leaders have called for them to be defunded? There absolutely is a political element to this since the solution is tied to politics, and the problem was likely caused by politics (lack of police presence).

It doesn't matter though. Leftists will continue voting for the same people hellbent on destroying their community. I really don't GAF anymore.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Then definitely contact your council person and the mayor about their stance on defunding.
I have per the other thread and will be contributing monetarily and not voting for candidates who are vocal advocates of defunding and not in support of finding a middle ground of reform that includes higher pay, more training, more oversightl, and more mental health resources, and separation of roles between forensics, DAs and police
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Glad you edited that....^^^^^
The Fall Guy
AG
Who the hell is celebrating this??? The people that argue about Austin politics sure are not celebrating. They remember a time when they could go downtown and bar hop without the threat of getting shot up by thugs.

For F sake Austin citizens the only way this can change is standing up to your council.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Steve Adler will tell you he is working on it while he's in Cancun for the next 6 weeks.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Agreed on getting after our city council. I am going to draft a communication that I am happy to share for people to use to contact their repa

Dirty 6th has been real sketchy for a long time, you would think that the Major hotels and other corporate interests will take an interest of this gets a bunch of attention. I may contact them has well.

Dirty 6th is certainly not indicative of the entire downtown scene. Was at Zanzibar on Wednesday and it
was a lovely time with no disruptions or feeling of lack of safety
500,000ags
AG
I agree. Dirty 6 has gotten ridiculous with consistent shootings.
Aust Ag
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Steve Adler will tell you he is working on it while he's in Cancun for the next 6 weeks.

He's already chimed in, used it as a chance to decry "access to firearms" as part of the problem.
KT 90
AG
Aust Ag said:

Champ Bailey said:

He's already chimed in, used it as a chance to decry "access to firearms" as part of the problem.

Seriously? Can you post a link? I'm out and about today and not much time for digging through social media.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Adler comment "APD and the City Council have initiated multiple violence prevention efforts in response- but this crisis requires a broader, coordinated response from all levels of government. One thing is clear greater access to firearms does not equal greater public safety."

Casar's comment ""While the uptick in gun violence here in Austin is part of a national trend, we know that gun violence is preventable. We must recommit and double down on efforts locally to reduce violence, reduce the widespread proliferation of guns, and save lives."
Keeper of The Spirits
AG

One thing that worked in Dallas when lowest Greenville has this issue is the neighborhood pressured the city to make the places that were open past mindnight apply for special permits. Places that had this kind of activity lost their permits and went out of business because they thrives after midnight.

That may be a government overreach but it worked. The city then pumped some money into the road,
Parking and light situation and now lowest Greenville is a gem
Howdy Dammit
AG
There is no solution. Evil exists. And anyone willing to take a life usually has zero regards for their own. There is no restriction or punishment harsh enough to deter someone who doesn't value their life and is prepared to die.
KT 90
AG
TwoTimeAg said:

Adler comment "APD and the City Council have initiated multiple violence prevention efforts in response- but this crisis requires a broader, coordinated response from all levels of government. One thing is clear greater access to firearms does not equal greater public safety."

Casar's comment ""While the uptick in gun violence here in Austin is part of a national trend, we know that gun violence is preventable. We must recommit and double down on efforts locally to reduce violence, reduce the widespread proliferation of guns, and save lives."

So basically it was the guns fault? It's ROT rally weekend, you know ahead of time there will be big crowds and an increased police presence helps to keep people in line. Would love to know the number of APD on duty last night vs previous ROT rally weekends in 2017-2019 (2020 was covid).
KT 90
AG

One thing that worked in Dallas when lowest Greenville has this issue is the neighborhood pressured the city to make the places that were open past mindnight apply for special permits. Places that had this kind of activity lost their permits and went out of business because they thrives after midnight.

That may be a government overreach but it worked. The city then pumped some money into the road,
Parking and light situation and now lowest Greenville is a gem

I wouldn't giving something like this a try. But you still can't decimate the police staffing with this. I still see defunding the police as a short-sighted thing to do. They are understaffed already, and people are leaving/retiring at an increasing rate.
KT 90
AG

Agreed on getting after our city council. I am going to draft a communication that I am happy to share for people to use to contact their repa

Dirty 6th has been real sketchy for a long time, you would think that the Major hotels and other corporate interests will take an interest of this gets a bunch of attention. I may contact them has well.

Dirty 6th is certainly not indicative of the entire downtown scene. Was at Zanzibar on Wednesday and it
was a lovely time with no disruptions or feeling of lack of safety

Can you share what you come up with to send? I'd be interested to read it. PM is fine if you don't want to post it here.

I've contacted my council member directly and the council as a whole. But never hear anything back. Curious if you ever get much feedback. Maybe I too many direct questions
Smeghead4761
Multiple news outlets are reporting that APD has arrested one suspect, but no name has yet been given. A second suspect is apparently still at large.

Shooting is reported as possibly resulting from "a dispute between two groups of people."

So, basically, two or more thugs got into a (drunken) beef, which escalated to the point that one or both of them pulled guns and started shooting. I'm going to guess that neither of the suspects cares about Rule 3 of Firearms Safety (Know you target and what's beyond it) and both are probably lousy shots as well, but they sprayed rounds into the crowd and hit a bunch of people.

Be interesting to see if either of the suspects were among the wounded.

And while the mayor wails about "easy access to guns", who wants to bet that, once the suspects are identified, one or both will be found to be legally prohibited from possessing firearms?

And finally, on the subject of media and stating the suspect(s) race - two local TV stations gave race in the descriptions in their initial story, when APD said they were looking for one suspect (skinny black male with dreads). One TV station didn't give a description at all, and the newspaper specifically stated that they weren't going to print the description because it was "too vague" and they didn't want to perpetuate "negative stereotypes."
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I agree that not identifying the assailants when they weren't white males is very problematic and was happening in Dallas in then 0xs a lot. Also agree "defunding" is stupid they need more funding and resources and some parts of the police (the forensics labs) should be part of the police budget

I will share when I am done response has been limited for sure.
Gordon Bombay
AG
Toxic culture, but hush, we don't talk about that.
Potcake
AG
Quote:

I'm going to guess that neither of the suspects cares about Rule 3 of Firearms Safety (Know you target and what's beyond it) and both are probably lousy shots as well, but they sprayed rounds into the crowd and hit a bunch of people.

Permitless carry couldn't possibly exacerbate this issue.
rugger74
AG
Bad guys carry concealed weapons all the time. Permitless carry is in holster in view. Plus illegal in bars period.
Martin Cash
AG
rugger74 said:

Bad guys carry concealed weapons all the time. Permitless carry is in holster in view. Plus illegal in bars period.
Uh, no.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Tell us more, what culture is that?
wargograw

Tell us more, what culture is that?

He is probably talking about black culture. He's not wrong. Much of it is unfortunately broken.
wargograw
Seen multiple posts here about how shots fired on dirty 6th is normal. Is that really true? I went dozens of times and never even really felt in danger (only from homeless when I walked down empty side streets).
jckrjr7
AG
wargograw said:

Seen multiple posts here about how shots fired on dirty 6th is normal. Is that really true? I went dozens of times and never even really felt in danger (only from homeless when I walked down empty side streets).

The last year or two before Covid it did seem like there was a shooting every month or two on dirty 6th.
BlackGold
AG
Do they have info on the suspect at large?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
There have certainly been a few on east 6th but I wouldn't call them regular. I don't think skin color is culture but social economic status does bring out certain element regardless of skin color. These places do cater to a lower level of socioeconomic status

Which is why the Dallas cleanup was successfull, run off the low class establishments bring back high class, but then people complain about the price
wargograw

There have certainly been a few on east 6th but I wouldn't call them regular. I don't think skin color is culture but social economic status does bring out certain element regardless of skin color. These places do cater to a lower level of socioeconomic status

Which is why the Dallas cleanup was successfull, run off the low class establishments bring back high class, but then people complain about the price

Didn't say "skin color is culture." But if you knew what Bombay was referring to why'd you ask? I certainly agree cultural rot can set in on any group.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.