Austin
Sponsored by

Estate Planning Attorney Recommendations

1,045 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Itz_an_86ag
Itz_an_86ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking for recommendations for a lawyer in Austin (preferably North Austin) to help my parents with estate planning for a fairly complex estate. Specifically, an attorney who is patient and will explain all options (wills vs trusts, etc) and walk them through the process. They are older and need guidance and clear explanations. We did already meet with an attorney who seemed great, but the pace was too fast and left them exhausted and even more confused. I would appreciate if you have any recommendations based on personal experience. Thank you!
tamc93
AG
I always follow to see who is the best, but never take any action....one of these days....
johnson2012
AG
X2 what tamc93 said. I started then covid closed everything and I never started back up.

Thread relevant to your interest;
https://texags.com/forums/36/topics/3093834/replies/55978189#55978189
Itz_an_86ag
AG
Thank you. I did see that, but was hoping for recommendations based on a similar situation (older parents, need more time, patience for explanations and guidance). I know that's a long shot though. They are getting started very late on this, and it is a good reminder for me to revisit our wills personally and take care of things while our minds are still sharp. I will take a look at the attorneys in the link. Thanks again.
jkc001
This firm specializes in what you're looking for and they're in Austin. That said, since CV became a problem most of their work is done via conference calls/Zoom. I'm using them currently on a very contentious Probate/Trust/Estate problem.

https://www.ohkslaw.com/

Jeff Knebel is representing me. He's good but any of the attorneys there can help you.

I'll offer these words of wisdom, as parents age, their judgement deteriorates quickly. Make certain that you have a complete command-of -the-facts and don't let your parents meet with any attorney or Trust Officer without you being there to hear everything that is discussed. One other recommendation, have your parents write down in their own words what they want to have happen to their estate. What seems simple and straight-forward in a Will can become the biggest of headaches.
Itz_an_86ag
AG
Thank you for your recommendation, and I appreciate your advice so much. I quickly discovered yesterday during our meeting (also Zoom) that this was going to be a difficult process with them unable to focus and tell the attorney what they want. Writing down their wishes is a great idea. I'm sorry for what you are dealing with and hope you have a good resolution.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.