Austin
Sponsored by

Windsor Park Bums

6,676 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Keeper of The Spirits
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
el_scorcho said:

How about we continue to fund the police as we do now and we use the revenue from the constantly increasing property taxes to fund a department that is responsible for handling the homeless?
Because all that does is delay the problem by 10 days or however long they stay in jail for. I also can't imagine an officer's ideal day is chasing homeless people around a park.

I totally agree that rehab needs to be part of the equation and I'm sure the police will still need to be involved, but rotating people in and out of jail then putting them back on the street with no resources isn't a recipe for success. And as mentioned the cost of living here doesn't help either.

I don't have the answers, just seems like there needs to be a different solution.
el_scorcho
AG
What I mean is free the police from constantly responding to non-violent complaints that involve the homeless. Have another dept that handles this so that the police can go finally look into the millions of property crimes that are never actioned.
fig96
AG
Gotcha, that sounds like a possible solution or at least a step in the right direction.
emando2000
AG
el_scorcho said:

What I mean is free the police from constantly responding to non-violent complaints that involve the homeless. Have another dept that handles this so that the police can go finally look into the millions of property crimes that are never actioned.
The problem is that they're committing criminal acts. ...so the police need to get involved. People that work in the service industry downtown can give you many examples They need rehab... away from the problems a city where drugs are on every corner.

If you have serious mental health problems that make you unfit for society then you need to be living in a location with help. It's the hard truth. And all the social media people that constantly harp on "we have a mental health problem in the US" can donate to the cause. All the celebs that love to tell us how to live our lives can donate. Corporations can donate.

Yes we put a lot on our law enforcement but the BS and backlash they're dealing with right now is over the top. Are there crooked cops? Sure, but not all are like that or started out like that. The crap they deal with on a daily basis is too much but for many Americans to turn their back on them is disgusting. Yes they signed up for it. But a human being can only take so much. I work in health care and I get sick of dealing with people. We have a disgruntled customer about once a week. I deal with unintelligent customers on a daily basis but it's nothing in comparison to a cop. They deal with more in a couple of days than I will in my career.

IMO I'm opposed to defunding. I'm for more training and increased pay so they're not working overtime. Austin is growing and we need more on the force with much more training and days off the grind.

We have tax dollars that need to be redistributed but taking from the police budget isn't the way to go. We have millions on millions wasted each year on BS. If they want, fix the budget and create meaningful help.

But with all that being said, it's all political. As soon as they let camping happen, they waited, then started asking for more money.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

IMO I'm not opposed to defunding. I'm for more training and increased pay so they're not working overtime. Austin is growing and we need more on the force with much more training and days off the grind.
Agree with most your post. But had a question about that comment...

You say you're not opposed to defunding, but then mention things that would require additional funds.

More police, additional training, etc....that all costs money. Our cities waste sooooo much money, on such stupid things (ie. the bazillion dollar library that no one uses). But this is one area we should be investing. We should be paying more, to attract better candidates. We shoudl invest in reform, so we hold these guys to a higher level...which means we should be investing more into additional training.

I heard Jocko talk about this on a podcast. He was breaking down the amount of time in the Academy they train for certain things. We definitely need to revamp how police are trained. It's only fair we prepare them better, with the amount of responsibility we inevitably put on their plate.
emando2000
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

IMO I'm not opposed to defunding. I'm for more training and increased pay so they're not working overtime. Austin is growing and we need more on the force with much more training and days off the grind.
Agree with most your post. But had a question about that comment...

You say you're not opposed to defunding, but then mention things that would require additional funds.

More police, additional training, etc....that all costs money. Our cities waste sooooo much money, on such stupid things (ie. the bazillion dollar library that no one uses). But this is one area we should be investing. We should be paying more, to attract better candidates. We shoudl invest in reform, so we hold these guys to a higher level...which means we should be investing more into additional training.

I heard Jocko talk about this on a podcast. He was breaking down the amount of time in the Academy they train for certain things. We definitely need to revamp how police are trained. It's only fair we prepare them better, with the amount of responsibility we inevitably put on their plate.
Sorry about that, that was a typo. It should've said "I'm opposed" to defunding.

I listened to the Rogan Jocko podcast and agreed with lots of what they said. De-escalation techniques, hand to hand combat like jiu-jitsu, weapons training, physical fitness, etc... being better at all of those things increases confidence to be able to handle pressure situations. Now, I don't think they have to be blackbelts like rogan suggested but learning and physical fitness is good for the mind and body. Training is key but what many are underestimating is that criminals lie. They know the law and find every which way around it. They also love to play the victim card. I have a few family members that are like this.

Proper parenting and personal responsibility is what is lacking in this country. There is a large movement that points at the police force as the problem while ignoring the criminal. There are problems in the police force but they are not the problem. If individuals did not commit crimes, they wouldn't put themselves in these compromising positions. I'll give you an example. My brother... He was walking down the street (in a very small town where people know everyone), saw a car with the windows rolled down and the keys in the ignition. What does he do? He jumps in and steals it. Later he tries to stash it but people saw him and it was an easy arrest. He wasn't sorry for committing the crime, he was sorry he got caught and couldn't dump the car for money in time.

Criminals commit crimes and blame others to try to get out of it. It's learned at an early age. By junior high, we pretty much know which kids will end up in the system. I'm from a small town and from the 5-10 kids I routinely hung around during the summers 3 have been in and out of prison with 1 still in, 2 I have no idea what happened to them...probably dead. 3 of them are living a responsible life. I've always had an conscious that kept me doing a lot more right than wrong but my mother was who molded me (dad not really present).

Back to the homeless. They are so far gone into the path of drinking & drugs that they no longer care how they look, live or smell. Have you been around a homeless person? You can smell them from 10 feet away. The homeless need assistance but at some point we have to enforce help.
AgGrad99
AG
Ah Gotcha. Makes sense now

And yeah, I agree.
500,000ags
AG
This issue is only going to get worse over the next several years. Liberal voters in liberal cities believe every homeless person is a saint, and conservative voters nationwide believe the homeless are not their problem. Until both sides get closer to reality, COA is just going to raise taxes to fund band-aid initiatives.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
It's infuriating. They have burned down a building in Austin in just the past year, and the city leadership simply don't care. They have allowed them to live anywhere they want, except in front of city hall, where they would have to see them. The leadership have given a giant middle finger to the citizens over this issue.

Aggietaco
AG
What would you suggest they do to handle the homeless population?

I ask because I don't have a good answer except to bus them to California.
emando2000
AG
Aggietaco said:

Here's my beef with the decision. Everyone that can see 5 feet in front of them saw this coming. This shouldn't have been an option without any vision or next steps. This is basically what is happening. Car breaks down. The mechanic says they can fix it. The mechanic takes apart the engine in 1000 pieces. You ask for your car back and the mechanic doesn't know how to put it back together. He doesn't even indicate that he's doing anything to fix it or if it even will be fixed. Decisions are made with no process.

I don't work in any type of social services but there is govt money everywhere. I don't understand why we cannot force rehab on people that are unfit for society. Mentally ill people cannot make decisions for themselves. Same as drug addicts. If they don't want to go then they need to know that being homeless is no longer an option, it's illegal. When they ask where they go, they're then given options for rehab. Donations need to be made...corporations, celebs, fundraisers, etc. Reallocate some funds.

Like you, I don't know what the answer is but I definitely know what is going on now should never had been an option.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Aggietaco said:

To handle the situation, they would need to reopen federal mental health institutions across the country. I realize that's bigger than them. The spike in homeless is a nationwide problem largely due to mental health and addiction. That's what it would take to put any real dent in the situation.

What I expect my city to do is not encourage the behavior. There is a homeless camp near my office with a coal burning grill and patio furniture. That shouldn't fly. That's just from a cosmetic viewpoint, regardless of the crime that is inherently involved.

And if they are going to allow it, I expect the leadership to allow them to camp where they would have to see how ridiculous it is getting as well.
Aggietaco
AG
A couple of new videos from the same guy with an interview of some of his neighbors.

dmart90
AG
I guess there are no city council members living in Windsor Park.

So happy I live north of Austin.
cityagboy
AG
I HATE that we allow camping. It is a false sense of security for homeless people. It creates unsanitary situations for the community and many other issues.

I also HATE that so many "leaders" in our country refuse to help the homeless. It is a huge problem. Certain cities don't see it as much as Austin but that isn't cause they are making a positive impact. They are simply moving the homeless out.

Real change can happen. Mental health institutions. Halfway houses with drug/ alcohol/ mental health support. Help them get new state IDs (simple but big problem). It will cost money to make the issue better but massive homeless problems are already a burden to taxpayers with police needs, ER bills, sanitation cleaning, etc.
TAM85
Emando raised a good point. The primary problem may be bad parenting.
cityagboy
AG
TAM85 said:

Emando raised a good point. The primary problem may be bad parenting.

The primary problem is that we as a country have decided not to help people with mental disabilities, mental health issues or addiction problems unless they have money. This is really sad because, as the greatest country, we have the ability to help those who need help. We choose not to.

Everyone's parenting skills can improve but that isn't even close to the primary cause.

- lack of affordable housing
- lack of help for veterans
- lack of help for abuse victims
- lack of jobs with living wages
- lack of mental health help
- lack of help for the disabled (mentally and physically)
- lack of help for women abused with sex work

That's a few of the causes
TAM85
I see what you are saying, but the help needs to start at home. There are many outstanding and successful people, including those with disabilities, who were raised without much money. It still starts with the family and parents.
cityagboy
AG
TAM85 said:

I see what you are saying, but the help needs to start at home. There are many outstanding and successful people, including those with disabilities, who were raised without much money. It still starts with the family and parents.
I truly wish everyone had a healthy home life growing up. Due to many of the issues I listed above that isn't the case.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Its mostly a drug problem. When the city made "camping" legal they basically said "Hey addicts, you know that money you are spending to keep yourself off the street and out of jail? Now you can use that to buy more meth."
FattyDelights
It's too late folks. The fallout of decades of transitioning to left policies and philosophies are going to be played out. Prepare yourself!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
ttt
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.