Austin
Sponsored by

Please, just stay home.

9,402 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by O'Doyle Rules
Potcake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Went to La Mancha last night, Loro last week, and Uchi today all were doing a great job on mask wearing, sanitization, and distancing. Roy Kizers golf carts could use some help

One of these restaurants is not like the others.
tamc93
AG
Saw a guy on Lake Travis today ... middle of lake/running full throttle ... wearing a mask.

Laughed and I feel "safer".
BiochemAg97
AG
SteveBott said:

Oh and our HEB is doing this as well.
Why are you still going to HEB. You know they deliver right.
austinag1997
AG
They don't deliver to me. Curbside only option.
SteveBott
AG
Wife prefers to pick her own stuff especially fruit and veges. I don't go. Just her
SteveBott
AG
Home Depot starts mandatory masks today.
AggieOO
BiochemAg97 said:

SteveBott said:

we do curbside, but i still like to pick out my own vegetables and steaks. We've tried curbside and end up with greens/vegetables/fruit that is going bad and terrible cuts of beef.

I also like to peruse the beer aisle. What is online and what is in the store doesn't always match up.
Aust Ag
AG
AggieOO said:

BiochemAg97 said:

SteveBott said:

we do curbside, but i still like to pick out my own vegetables and steaks. We've tried curbside and end up with greens/vegetables/fruit that is going bad and terrible cuts of beef.

I also like to peruse the beer aisle. What is online and what is in the store doesn't always match up.
My Dad (mid 80s) in Montgomery has great neighbors, they make runs for him when he needs stuff. But he admitted to me yesterday he's gone to the store here lately a couple of times for the same reason. He said he goes early though, hardly anyone there. I signed off, thought that was OK. I think he's sick of being home all the time like most folks around that age.
SteveBott
AG
Yea full stay at home gets really old. We rented a beach house in August so not completely cut off. We are going with mom and told the kids they were welcome but all need to test before coming. Also doing mon-Thur and picked one in a less traffic area.

My wife also offered our 76 YO neighbor to pick things up when she goes to the store.
Aggieangler93
AG
Buddy at Port A this weekend said it is absolute madness with the amount of people there. Almost like nothing happened and every weekend is now like a holiday weekend.

We were in POC last week and folks were doing fairly well at isolating, but on the other hand, some folks could care less.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Potcake
AG
Your buddy is right. We're here for a couple of days. Brought everything we needed to eat and drink. The beach was packed yesterday, only slightly less so today. They've apparently declared Covid a done deal, if they didn't previously. Not much mask wearing here.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
My folks are in Montgomery as well (Walden) and Port A was madness. Corona is over in Port A
Aggieangler93
AG
I think folks are just tired of the isolation and basically throwing caution to the wind, assuming they will get it and be fine.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Need an update please Poptart ??
AgSoccer2007
AG
Can someone please post definite demographic facts about covid. And really cases mean absolutely nothing. For the VAST majority it's seems fairly obvious that getting the virus means little more than asymptomatic or a low grade fever and headache for a few days.

Truthfully why "cases" even matters at all is beyond me. It seems the only reason you see "cases"'thrown around is because it's the "bigger scarier number" but really all that matters is severe cases and deaths FROM covid, alongside extremely specific demographic data about who those two things entail, to truly form a real opinion on the crisis level.

If someone wants to post any hard data as it relates to those things I feel it would be a lot more helpful than talking about spikes and cases with no demographic data attached to it.
SteveBott
AG
While cases are one data set. The key is hospital utilization. Only so many docs, nurses, beds etc,
AgSoccer2007
AG
so what's the hard data on those alongside the demographics of who is being admitted to the hospital with severe cases? Everything else seems irrelevant yet it's all I ever see reported by the news.
SteveBott
AG
I have not seen recent data but last I saw deaths were...

Age 60-69 is 12-13%
Age 70 plus is 75%

So roughly 90% are 60 and older. So I think those groups are the most of the hospital use. But we are having a surge in 30-50 since they are most likely to be out in public. They can get very sick but not die.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Live and in color for Travis

Total hospitalized: 293
ICU: 109
Vents: 43

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

Age Demographics for Austin

20 to 24 years 12.63%
25 to 34 years 21.12%
35 to 44 years 15.97%
45 to 54 years 11.55%
55 to 59 years 3.27%
60 to 64 years 2.29%
65 to 74 years 3.5%
75 to 84 years 2.3%
85 years and over 0.89

Hospitalizations:

80+ = 11.1%
70-79 = 13.9%
60-69 = 16%
50-59 = 20%
40-49 = 15%
30-39- 13%
20-29 = 10%

Important to keep in mind, that using the current guidelines for metric gathering, if you are in the hospital for anything and test positive for Covid you are counted as a Covid hospitalization. While likely not significant, it does inflate the count some.

Cases

80+ = 3%
70-79 = 3%
60-69 = 6%
50-59 = 12%
40-49 = 16%
30-39- 23%
20-29 = 27%

The ICU beds will be the challenging thing. Converting regular beds to ICU beds is largely a function of staff and resources (OR ect) and some equipment.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Also 1,500 beds total Covid beds in Austin metro, not all ICU

Interim Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott says there are 1,500 beds available for COVID-19 patients across Austin area hospitals. And that includes all three major hospital operators-- Acension Seton, Baylor Scott & White, and St. David's Health Care.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Also 1,500 beds total Covid beds in Austin metro, not all ICU

Interim Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott says there are 1,500 beds available for COVID-19 patients across Austin area hospitals. And that includes all three major hospital operators-- Acension Seton, Baylor Scott & White, and St. David's Health Care.

Is that total capacity, or total remaining?

Just seems insane that after three months of preparation, we would only have prepared for 0.15% of the population to be hospitalized in Austin.
Aust Ag
AG
Am I looking at that information right, about 60% hospitalized are Hispanic?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yes that's correct. Many more multigenerational house holds statically
Prune Tracy
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Honest question for someone who actually works as a Dr or Nurse in the Austin area. How are hospitals doing now? Did they every get overrun like the media made it seem? I legitimately am wondering what people who are there in the thick of it think.
BadMoonRisin
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Honest question for someone who actually works as a Dr or Nurse in the Austin area. How are hospitals doing now? Did they every get overrun like the media made it seem? I legitimately am wondering what people who are there in the thick of it think.
Did they ever get overrun in any part of the country? Maybe small rural parts of Oklahoma and the RGV area.

I know they set up the convention center downtown for an overflow, but I havent heard if it is being used at all yet.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
wargograw
There was no actual overrun everywhere. Close, but didn't actually happen.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Even New York at their height wasn't overrun.
Media hype bs. So the hospitals are busy and full .....ok .
JT88
AG
You would have to define "over-run".
Read "the Great Influenza" by Barry.
Hospitals in this country do not have tremendous reserves (with regards to beds, equipment. & staff).
I personally am NOT aware of anything like the chaos That happened in NYC.
But I can say that in my opinion multiple central TX hospitals were on the verge of being incapable of doing pretty much anything else (other than covid) for weeks.
aggielax48
AG
Hospitalizations peaked at under 500, so with 1,500 beds available it wasn't anywhere close. Current number of hospitalizations as of yesterday was 279. Estimated active case count is down to just over 1,000.
wadd96
AG
My answer is still F*** NO!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Even New York at their height wasn't overrun.
Media hype bs. So the hospitals are busy and full .....ok .

ICUs are full 95% of the time without covid
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.