Austin
Sponsored by

Please, just stay home.

9,368 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by O'Doyle Rules
Poptartin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My hospital went from 26 Covid patients on Wednesday to 39 on Friday. That's just admitted patients. Not the ones we sent home. Please be careful.
BadMoonRisin
AG
No.
ReloadAg
AG
Didn't lock down this spring and certainly won't do it now
wargograw
You've had three months of people staying home so you could prepare. Is the hospital not prepared?
austinag1997
AG
I think we have a mix of folks here. Some that feel we need to get back to normal; some that we need distancing. Perhaps we should moderate our opinions of others.
fig96
AG
I feel like it's not that hard to at least make an effort towards social distancing and do little things like wear a mask at the grocery store, Target, etc.
BrokeAssAggie
There are over 1 million people in the Austin area. People are going to get COVID. Some of them might be hospitalized and very very few of them may even die.
RDV-1992
Some day, you'll be able to look back on this pandemic, and say, "I was one of the 99.96% of people that survived!"
Fitch
AG
OP, thank you for what you do. Good luck in the coming weeks. For reference, from a doc with experience in NOLA and NYC: https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/2721405/replies/56736752

fig96
AG
RDV-1992 said:

Some day, you'll be able to look back on this pandemic, and say, "I was one of the 99.96% of people that survived!"
I mean, there's also the chance you might not.
Frozen Concoction
This is really unfortunate. Wilco hospitalization number is currently 11, so at least we're good there. I wonder what's going on in Travis? I'm curious to see who's testing positive... younger people?
fig96
AG
wargograw said:

You've had three months of people staying home so you could prepare. Is the hospital not prepared?
So I just reread this...how does being prepared have anything to do with hospital capacity?
docb
AG
Probably related to all the protesters. City of Austin doesn't seem to mind them not social distancing.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
127 current hospitalizations in Travis county with 4,500 beds. We aren't really even approaching a problem yet.
Aust Ag
AG
Frozen Concoction said:

This is really unfortunate. Wilco hospitalization number is currently 11, so at least we're good there. I wonder what's going on in Travis? I'm curious to see who's testing positive... younger people?
I talked to one of my clients today, deals with alot of "youngs". She said she's seen a big spike the last 2 weeks. I said what do you see as the "common thread"? She said they're all hanging out together, partying and protesting. Pretty mild flu-like symptoms for most, and going to the crapper. One got her Mom sick, and she's not doing as well though.
fig96
AG
docb said:

Probably related to all the protesters. City of Austin doesn't seem to mind them not social distancing.
Taking into account incubation time and lag time in testing we're seeing increases from Memorial Day and opening up.

Increases over the next week or so, if they ramp up, would be more likely to be protest related.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Is it cutting into the ability of the nursing staff to make tiktok videos as society crumbles around them?
JT88
AG
"127 current hospitalizations in Travis county with 4,500 beds. We aren't really even approaching a problem yet."

Respectfully,

That conclusion cannot be reached by that brief glance at the numbers. Given that ICU capacity needs to be maintained for trauma, urgent, and emergent surgical procedures, you are looking at a trend which could soon result in some large, busy tertiary hospitals in the area having to limit surgical case volumes. Many Covid patients who require the ICU tend to stay there for a long-ish time frame.

If you aren't going to stay home, then please DO social distance, wear a mask, don't touch your face, and hand-hygiene like your life depended on it.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Does ICU capacity refer to the beds mandated to be reserved by executive order or absolute total ICU capacity?
SteveBott
AG
Total beds are useless. ICU beds and capacity is what matters. Here is the best I've found on google

https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/press/HOSPITAL_BED_CAPACITY_SLIDES_FINAL_4.3.20.pdf
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The average is an 8 day average hospital stay (CDC)142 total hospitalizations only 52 in the ICU, so total beds is relevant but so is ICU beds.If we average 100 new hospitalizations every day with 1/3 being ICU we will still be below 300 beds filled at any given time. We need to keep this out of the nursing homes. The vulnerable need to stay home. It is by no means time to panic. Elective (not cosmetic) surgeries are still too low to be sustainable for many practices.

I will wear a mask, continue my hand hygiene regime, socially distance (but expand my quarantine group) but I am by no means concerned for my health or my families health. I won't be visiting my grandparents any time soon. I am much more concerned with the mental health toll the quarantine isolation and job losses are taking on me, my family and my friends. Thanks for the respectful discussion, I do believe that is imperative to making this work.

(Edits for additional prevention methods)
JT88
AG
The governors order I don't believe specified the breakdown of capacity required. Just 15%. So it may be up to each hospital system to decide whether that means of all beds, or of each type of bed, or what. But given that most systems cannot afford to build for large numbers of empty icu beds, they intend for them to be full (or nearly so) under anything resembling normal operating conditions.

So, Covid patients occupying even a relatively small number of ICU beds for an extended period could hinder the hospital ability to deal with the more typical ICU admissions.
wargograw
fig96 said:

wargograw said:

So I just reread this...how does being prepared have anything to do with hospital capacity?
The medical experts told us we had to shut down for two weeks so that we could prevent the hospitals from being overrun and so that they could prepare for the spike. Don't get mad at me for conflating the two when that was the argument that they gave us. Generously, we gave them 2+ months instead of 2 weeks. If they're still worried, then I respectfully wonder what they've been doing.
fig96
AG
wargograw said:

fig96 said:

wargograw said:

The medical experts told us we had to shut down for two weeks so that we could prevent the hospitals from being overrun and so that they could prepare for the spike. Don't get mad at me for conflating the two when that was the argument that they gave us. Generously, we gave them 2+ months instead of 2 weeks. If they're still worried, then I respectfully wonder what they've been doing.
I asked a question as I didn't see the correlation, not sure how that equates to getting mad at you. Still not sure what a specific hospital can do to get prepared to be honest, if they're over capacity they're over capacity.

And I feel like we can fault government from the top down for not really doing much during this time.
SteveBott
AG
Another not sure how much can be done by the hospitals on capacity. Seems they can add about 25% but they run out of room and more importantly caregivers.
Potcake
AG
Quote:

If they're still worried, then I respectfully wonder what they've been doing.

Pretty much urging the same precautions they were before governments started opening up. It's a novel virus which means it's unique and they're still learning but the deniers point to their changing advice as proof that they have a agenda or can't be trusted.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Many caregivers are being let go, furloughed or not scheduled because of lack of patients.

Elective space (and caregivers for that matter) can be converted to Covid space in a pinch, they were are using the hospital ship in NY. Hospitals can and some did prepare by creating contingency plans that identified available space. Our hospitals are as prepared as they will be. Keeping the virus out of nursing homes is key, that's where most of the hospitalizations come from. Crazy thing I learned while researching this is life expectancy once one enter a nursing home is less than 1 year regardless of Covid

Also no offense to OP. I am sure you are an HCP, my wife is also an HCP so not trying to be insensitive
Fitch
AG

SteveBott
AG
Those graphs are disheartening but expected. Our state has decided to accept the loss.
Fitch
AG

JT88
AG
What happened with the Travis County numbers for yesterday? Did they just combine Thursdays and Fridays?
BiochemAg97
AG
fig96 said:

I feel like it's not that hard to at least make an effort towards social distancing and do little things like wear a mask at the grocery store, Target, etc.
And wash hands.
SteveBott
AG
At Twins liquors tonight mandatory mask starting Monday. I support this decision.
SteveBott
AG
Oh and our HEB is doing this as well.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Went to La Mancha last night, Loro last week, and Uchi today all were doing a great job on mask wearing, sanitization, and distancing. Roy Kizers golf carts could use some help
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.