Austin
Sponsored by

Repeal of homeless law

18,444 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gramercy Riffs
ContinentalAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.statesman.com/news/20190602/city-council-could-repeal-or-narrow-controversial-homeless-laws%3ftemplate=ampart

City council working to make Austin more like SF, LA, Seattle and Portland. Terrible decision if this happens.
Furlock Bones
AG
ugh. they are going to wreck the whole hike and bike trail and sidewalks in that area. why not just set up your tent on cesar chavez. water front property.
AgGrad99
AG
I dont understand how anyone can look at the cities who've already done this, and think it's a good idea.

Furlock Bones
AG
when my buddies and were in LA for Labor day, we were staying on Venice Beach. full of tents and vagrants. come Friday before the weekend, we woke up to the police corralling all of them and forcing them out. can't let the tourists see the truth that the place is a dump most of the week. i'm sure Austin will end doing the same.
Martin Cash
AG
Furlock Bones said:

ugh. they are going to wreck the whole hike and bike trail and sidewalks in that area. why not just set up your tent on cesar chavez. water front property.
You mean 1st Street??
expresswrittenconsent
Furlock Bones said:

when my buddies and were in LA for Labor day, we were staying on Venice Beach. full of tents and vagrants. come Friday before the weekend, we woke up to the police corralling all of them and forcing them out. can't let the tourists see the truth that the place is a dump most of the week. i'm sure Austin will end doing the same.

You woke up to it? Did your motel room open to the street?
evan_aggie
AG
Greg Caesar, once again pushing ignorant policy.

Panhandling is already rampant and everywhere...people sleeping on benches and setting up camps.
Laser Wolf
Great, typhoid fever and bubonic plague here we come.
Furlock Bones
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Furlock Bones said:

You woke up to it? Did your motel room open to the street?
we had an Airbnb condo one block from the sand. literally woke up walked out on the balcony and the police are corralling homeless people down the street with yellow police tape. a bunch of homeless people screaming at them trying to grab the last vestiges of their tent trash condos.
chipotle
Aggietaco
AG
Martin Cash said:

Furlock Bones said:

You mean 1st Street??
You mean Water Street??
SW AG80
AG
I was in Austin the last 3 days and was shocked how many homeless were at Ben White and S. Congress. I am used to seeing them downtown but this surprised me. It is starting to appear like cities in California.
KT 90
AG
SW AG80 said:

I was in Austin the last 3 days and was shocked how many homeless were at Ben White and S. Congress. I am used to seeing them downtown but this surprised me. It is starting to appear like cities in California.
It's all along Ben White. Head west on Ben White towards Manchaca and Lamar area, there is a a whole village there. Other places around town as well, but the Ben White bridges provide good cover from the sun/rain and there are lots of people living under there.

500,000ags
AG
I spent some time in Portland, OR, Portland, ME, and Denver. Austin isn't to those levels yet, but I would hate to see it get there. It's ridiculous.
Potcake
AG
Portland, ME has a homeless problem? WTF fo they do during winter? We didn't notice any when we went to Boothbay a few summers back but we really only spent a day down by Portland harbor.
500,000ags
AG
I stayed in Portland, ME, for 10 days last fall. I was caught off-guard. It's certainly a problem considering it's a town of 80,000 (including South Portland). While I was there, I saw several signs on city-initiatives for building new shelters.
evan_aggie
AG
I'm torn. We all dislike aggressive panhandling and the tent cities. Our liberal councilmen want to make it even less restrictive, misguided with the idea that people in this situation truly are impacted negatively by the inability to get a job due to related arrests or failure to show in court. I don't buy that for a second. Getting a job in this economy has nothing to do with a citation for violating city ordinances.

However, the only way you can really prevent this, then, is to build shelters. So what message do we send? It's okay if you don't want to clean up and get straight...we'll house you and feed you and take care of you.

I do feel for some people...they say many have mental health problems. Not sure, but changing ordinance or local laws to allow camping wherever is definitely not the solution.
JW
AG
The shelters should be hospitals. Increasing services just increases homelessness.
500,000ags
AG
With the rain and traffic two days ago, I had the same old lady ask me for money at the gas pump, ask me to go in and buy her food when I said no, forget me and ask for money .5 a block later in traffic, AND again, forget me and ask for money another .5 block later in traffic.
Furlock Bones
AG
welp, here we go. first tent popped up on Colorado and 2nd street.
BenFiasco14
AG
Furlock Bones said:

So woke! /Austin city council
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Where is/was the tent? I live at Colorado and 2nd, so this is basically my front door. I haven't seen a tent here all week.
evan_aggie
AG
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin-city-council-approves-changes-to-no-sit-no-lie-camping-and-solicitation-laws/amp/

And Casar and Flannigan are clapping...
BenFiasco14
AG
Quote:

People who are homeless will also be able to ask for money, but they cannot be "aggressive," a word that was specifically written into the ordinance
There's gonna be a ****show, deservedly so, over what this means for purposes of the ordinance.

I could see some of these nuts saying the homeless berating and shouting isn't "aggressive"
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
aTm2004
AG
Those idiots from California should feel right at home when they arrive.
Furlock Bones
AG
Morons. Phaucking morons.
dmart90
AG
I'll be interested to see how this impacts the hotel and convention business in Austin. We recently had our annual event downtown; the homeless, coupled with all the f/cking scooters, created quite the eye sore.
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
rcannaday
AG
Had a board meeting in Austin a few weeks ago, nothing like seeing a homeless person shoot up on the side walk as I exited the parking garage. Also, not like APD was enforcing any laws anyhow, there is a huge encampment right next to the police station downtown.

How can these people not visit Berkeley, LA, Bay Area, Seattle etc and not realize they are setting themselves up for the same things?
evan_aggie
AG
Bc step 2 of their plan is to then use rampant tents as justification for a $100m homeless shelter bond. And Adler will tell us all, it's a cup of Starbucks coffee a month.

Of course they won't remind everyone that we're still paying 10 cups of Starbucks a month from the previous 10 years.
Btron
AG
Where exactly CAN the homeless set up shop? Like city parks next to children's playgrounds? Or are they in certain areas of Austin? Or just Bridges and over passes?
stardustag
AG
would love to see a bunch of tents all around City Hall, just so those city clowncil will see it as they walk in and out every day.
evan_aggie
AG
The little bad guy on my shoulder thought it'd be great to offer $20pp to setup a tent in front of Greg Casars home but still on public easements.
KT 90
AG
Btron said:

Where exactly CAN the homeless set up shop? Like city parks next to children's playgrounds? Or are they in certain areas of Austin? Or just Bridges and over passes?

From what I recall reading, not allowed in parks, but pretty much any other public area as long as they are not blocking access. So apparently sidewalks are ok as long as they don't block the entire sidewalk and people can get around them.

I'm sure there are more specifics to it than that, but that is what I recall reading.

KT 90
AG
here is a blurb from the Statesman on where camping is now allowed:

Quote:

After emotional testimony regarding homelessness in Austin last week, City Council members rescinded prohibitions on camping on public property. Starting Monday, so long as they are not presenting a hazard or danger, people will be able to sleep, lie and set up tents on city-owned sidewalks, plazas and vacant non-park space.
Except, not in front of City Hall itself.
City Hall building guidelines implemented by former City Manager Marc Ott in 2012 disallow anyone from using the outdoor plaza, covered amphitheater or raised mezzanine from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. unless a city meeting is going on inside. The rules specifically prohibit sleeping, camping, storing personal property and erecting tents.
City spokespeople confirmed this week that the camping prohibition remains in place. City Manager Spencer Cronk said in a text message that staff is reviewing the policy, but did not indicate whether he intends to rescind it.
https://www.statesman.com/news/20190628/starting-monday-camping-allowed-in-austin-public-spaces-but-not-city-hall?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Austin%20American-Statesman%20austin-afternoon-update%202019-06-28&utm_content=
GCOX_AUS&utm_term=062819

KT 90
AG
stardustag said:

would love to see a bunch of tents all around City Hall, just so those city clowncil will see it as they walk in and out every day.

per the info I just posted above, no can do on the camping all around City Hall.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.