Austin
Sponsored by

Repeal of homeless law

18,442 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gramercy Riffs
rcannaday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The goal of the city council is to blow an additional $5MM on a building

Records from the Travis Central Appraisal District show the property is worth only $3.5 million, compared to Austin's approved $8.6 million spending cap.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Wish we could audit where the extra $5MM is going...
evan_aggie
AG
Oh, who cares right? It's just more of the tax payers money...not the mayor's or council's. And how dare anyone suggest auditing their spending and financial decisions.
BiochemAg97
AG
rcannaday said:

The goal of the city council is to blow an additional $5MM on a building

Records from the Travis Central Appraisal District show the property is worth only $3.5 million, compared to Austin's approved $8.6 million spending cap.

I just love the excuse that the appraisal district is probably just appraising it at below market. I know a lot of home owners would love it if the appraisal district would appraise their house at less than 50% or fair market value.

If the appraisal district is really that far off, then maybe the city should be investigating the appraisal district. There is a lot of tax money being lost if the appraisals for CRE are coming in at well below fair market value.
rcannaday
AG
Austin budget proposal focuses on homeless services and property tax revenue

It is coming, they are going to spend +$17MM more YoY on homelessness. This is absolute insanity. But, don't worry you won't be able to audit the slush fund and where it goes (back pockets).
Billy Foster
AG
And part of that is an 8% increase in property tax increase, "About $100 more per house." That's some real selective math.
KT 90
AG
Quote:

To help fund this increase, Cronk is again proposing an increase in property tax revenue by 8 percent.

It's the last year the city can increase tax revenue by this much. State-imposed 3.5% revenue caps will take effect for FY 2020-2021.

So we throw millions at the current problem and theoretically get them taken care of. Thereby becoming even more of a mecca for the homeless to come to for freebies. What happens when more and more keep coming here for freebies? We start all over with campers everywhere again?

KT 90
AG
And their "8%" increase is probably based on stable properly values, which we know isn't the case. Property values will also go up, so the end cost will be higher I'm sure.

emando2000
AG
Like clockwork. Make the problem more visible then ask for more money b/c plenty of people are now like "Something has to be done."

I would really like to listen to a conversation with those that are on the front lines working day in and day out with the homeless to see what their thoughts are on the matter.

Do the majority of the homeless...
Want to turn things around? It's not easy, it's a grind
Can they realistically turn things around? Austin is expensive
Will they stay on their meds? (the ones that are on them)
Will they kick their addictions? (those that have them)

My hunch is no to all of them. I get there may be a few in the masses that do turn things around but it has to be a small percentage.

I had a patient come in a few days ago that is recently homeless. He was living out of his car and was about to be admitted to the hospital for health issues. Most likely an infection that's getting worse. After his appointment here he called for an ambulance to come pick him up instead of admitting himself. Who paid for that ambulance? Not him. He seemed like a guy that could work his way out was very irritable. I question whether or not he would be able to hold down a job.
evan_aggie
AG
There are some in this world who will never be able to or want to help themselves. Whether that is because of choice or innate nature of their mental makeup/stability.

People have sympathy and feel like we have to do something vs push them out of eyesight. However, no amount of money can fix everyone. But that won't stop Mayor Adler and a majority on the council from blowing $65m on trying...
MaroonSpirit
AG
What are your current thoughts? Has anyone been to any of the "discussions" with the council & chief?
evan_aggie
AG
There is a small camp near 290 Congress between the highway and access road. The amount of trash is unreal. It may be ok to camp wherever, but littering is still against the law last I recall. They should address this more...
500,000ags
AG
The city manager submitted a memo to the Mayor and council to limit camping in high-traffic walking and driving areas and flood zones.

After a trip to LA and Seattle, the Mayor wants to focus on providing storage lockers and mobile showering stations.

IMO I don't quite understand how anyone can go to Seattle and say, yeah, they're on the right track with this issue.
SteveBott
AG
Seems some backtracking going on

https://www.kut.org/post/austin-could-change-its-homelessness-rules-today-heres-everything-you-need-know
rather be fishing
AG
SteveBott said:

Seems some backtracking going on

https://www.kut.org/post/austin-could-change-its-homelessness-rules-today-heres-everything-you-need-know
I don't think there was ever an instance where Adler wanted to mirror Seattle, SF, etc.

I'm pretty sure he just wanted it look like he went and viewed their plight and then made a decision.
BiochemAg97
AG
Most of the west coast cities are supporting Boise in their fight to overturn a 9th circuit ruling that prohibits camping bans in the Western states.

Austin is trying to be like the west coast cities, but even the west coast cities don't want to be in that position.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article234271652.html
SteveBott
AG
That Austin rules seems to put a lot on the police on the ground. But they need to do something.
500,000ags
AG
Anyone have a rundown on what TxDoT is supposed to do? I've read two things, one described clearing encampments and the other said this was a rather limited initiative from Abbott.
rather be fishing
AG
The most recent Texas Monthly podcast had Adler on it. Interesting insight to his beliefs. Nothing new, admits to making the homeless issue more visible to the community, but makes presents sound reasoning for not ticketing homeless. Basically, none of them show up for court hearings, which leads to a warrant, which makes it problematic for getting them housed.
BenFiasco14
AG
Saw a deranged woman this morning at about 7:30 AM downtown slapping her purse against office windows as she wobbled down the street and hollered incoherently.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Potcake
AG
That is crazy, are you OK?
SW AG80
AG
500,000ags said:

Anyone have a rundown on what TxDoT is supposed to do? I've read two things, one described clearing encampments and the other said this was a rather limited initiative from Abbott.
This is an initiative from Abbott. The only thing TxDot can do is clean up the highway right of ways which includes moving all of the homeless' belongings and the people themselves.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3083058

PabloSerna
AG
So, what do you think we should do about folks that don't have a home or place to go to? A serious question. If you believe in God, you can bet he will ask each of us the same question - you saw homelessness - what did you do about it?

+Pablo

Edit to add... Me? I support my church and local government to address not just the homeless (shelters), but the hungry (food pantries), and less fortunate (halfway houses). I say this not to brag - no way - just to point out that you should be glad that you have a Mayor that is stepping up.

Telling someone its not your problem - not what I would want to say to God (just ask Cain, LOL)
Potcake
AG
Well said Pablo.
Frozen Concoction
One can be generous and compassionate while at the same time support the belief that there should be some public spaces which are off limits for people to live. When I led a truck team for MLF, we knew what spots to sign up for that would empty the truck in a hurry. Encouraging groups of people, many who are mentally ill or just have nothing to lose, to congregate in areas where they are next to major thoroughfares where they interact with traffic constantly or next to high pedestrian areas where people may not be prepared to de escalate the inevitable confrontations is bad public policy. The camps back in the woods were not ideal, but better than what we've had recently under Ben white.
I think the city's current plan to overpay for motels to house people will inevitably be a money sink. It will house a few people temporarily, but it will attract more indigents to the area hoping to get on a waiting list, and we'll have even more homeless in the area than we do now.
I'm not sure what we can do now that there's no 'frontier' other than to try to keep people fed, try to identify those that actually can be helped, and try to keep the rest more or less out of the way of people who want to go about their days without being harassed.
BiochemAg97
AG
PabloSerna said:

So, what do you think we should do about folks that don't have a home or place to go to? A serious question. If you believe in God, you can bet he will ask each of us the same question - you saw homelessness - what did you do about it?

+Pablo

Edit to add... Me? I support my church and local government to address not just the homeless (shelters), but the hungry (food pantries), and less fortunate (halfway houses). I say this not to brag - no way - just to point out that you should be glad that you have a Mayor that is stepping up.

Telling someone its not your problem - not what I would want to say to God (just ask Cain, LOL)
I'm not sure abolishing a camping ban is "stepping up". However, I would agree that other programs that have been implemented like providing temporary housing and other assistance are a more productive approach than ignoring the problem.

I think there are at least two subgroups in the homeless population. Those that are temporarily homeless due to an unforeseen challenge (job loss, loss of affordable housing, etc) where a temporary housing situation ( weeks to months) while they get back on their feet, and the long term homeless, either due to drugs or mental issues, who will need a different approach, such as drug and/or psych treatment.

While giving people hundreds of dollars in tickets for illegal camping isn't a productive solution, the ability of LE to stop and ascertain the situation is useful. Obviously the better approach is to give the officers training in something other than writing tickets, but the no camping ordinance does provide probable cause for the officer to step in and see what the situation is. Without the camping ordinance, the officers do not have probable cause to stop a homeless person unless they are committing another illegal act. The contact with an officer and a discussion of the situation could allow the homeless person to Be directed to an appropriate resource for help and verification that they are not otherwise victims of abuse, have mental issues, or using drugs.

At the end of the day, SCOTUS didn't take up the case so west coast still can't ban camping but Austin can keep the bans on camping in certain areas.
Martin Cash
AG
PabloSerna said:

+Pablo

Not sure if serious.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
PabloSerna said:

+Pablo

There isn't a big enough eye roll emoji to post for this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.