Austin
Sponsored by

Ideas for weekend Trip to Austin with 4 & 2 yr old

2,636 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HECUBUS
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So let me get this straight. Are you saying ya'll go to eat and drink at your HEB's and Central Markets? What kind of nonsense is this? I'm quite intrigued.
expresswrittenconsent
I go to the Mueller HEB to buy groceries.
an out of town visitor going to the BBQ counter inside of the Mueller HEB for an Austin BBQ experience is the trollingest *********thing ever posted here.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
JMac07 said:

So let me get this straight. Are you saying ya'll go to eat and drink at your HEB's and Central Markets? What kind of nonsense is this? I'm quite intrigued.
wife and I take the kids to CM for dinner and live music on Friday's. I usually make my own "charcuterie board" by cruising the deli/cheese & nuts isle, then snag an ok bottle of wine while the rib orders the kids food. After we're done we go shop for groceries.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I am not suggesting the BBQ counter, I am suggest grabbing a beer while the kids hit the play ground and you grab a beer/bottle of wine and charcuterie ornother adult food in central market. I wouldn't call it a main event but it's something easy should you want something easy after a long day tracking it, plus there will be tons of other kids.
JMac03
AG
This really blows my mind that people go to HEB or Central Market to eat. I think it's a little cool that they have music and I guess tables for people to sit outside. I wouldn't have thought you could drink onsite but I guess you can.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It's a nice little tame Friday night or start to your evening I wouldn't normally suggest it for visitors but with the playground for OPs kids, local music and almost limitless selection of wine, beer and food it's a solid choice.

I'd go CM over H-E-B but that's just because CM feels less like you are hanging out at the grocery store, especially on the patio.

Great alternative idea FinMick!

HECUBUS
AG
I have some relatives in town, they went to the Barton Springs pool Friday thinking there would be no crowds and it was crazy packed. They had to park near the Mopac bridge and hoof it from there. Loads of Tourist do the downtown hotels and Zilker these days.

If you do visit Zilker, plan on parking near the Mopc bridge off Stratford unless you get there early. It is probably best to Uber in and out. If you want to do a boat ride, you might want to book that well in advance of your visit.

We do our weekends away in Houston at the Marriott Marquis for the lazy river and some Stros.

The Aug 9 -11 weekend should be a good one in Houston.
Frozen Concoction
Central Market and the Mueller HEB both have pretty tasty food at their cafes. Those are solid suggestions.

Deep Eddy pool is probably a better bet then Barton Springs for kids that age. It's not as cold or crowded and has a big beach-entry shallow end.

Unless your kids are okay staying up until 9:30-10:00 it'll be tough to see the bats at this time of year.

Inner Space caverns in Georgetown is a nice break from the heat.

Honestly, Austin isn't the greatest destination with a 2 & 4 year old. Waco has a much better zoo and a fantastic children's museum. My son is 6 now, and we still trek up there 3-4 times per year.
HECUBUS
AG
You can get a luxury suite at a RR Express game for the cost of four semi-decent Stros seats. That is a hoot if you are not really into baseball, like a 2 and 4 year old.
expresswrittenconsent
HECUBUS said:

You can get a luxury suite at a RR Express game for the cost of four semi-decent Stros seats. That is a hoot if you are not really into baseball, like a 2 and 4 year old.

Highly recommend the "owner for a day" experience.
HECUBUS
AG
But, the Express is on the road that weekend.
JMac03
AG
Omg we went to Lady Bird park and kayaked and paddle boarded. We had such a good time!! My mom even had a great time. My 8 year old (girl) was shockingly awesome at both paddle boarding and kayaking all by herself. Definitely something we will do again. Thank you for the recommendations!
SteveBott
AG
Very cool. We need a full trip report on Monday
Potcake
AG
Well, it has been 150 Kelvin the last several days.
MBUSA
Volente Beach. Water park and lake.
PabloSerna
AG
All of that Lady Bird stuff... however, I cannot believe any of you have neglected SNOW BEACH!!

If you are doing a lot of walking, go find Snow Beach, I think is behind Zach Scott Theater on next to Chuy's. I like the Blue Coconut with cream.

+Pablo

HECUBUS
AG
Wanted to mention, but already used too much bandwidth.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.