Austin
Sponsored by

Allandale, Crestview, Brentwood, etc

4,999 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Copperpot
Dr. Venkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and kids are considering a move to these areas. I wanted to see what the people are like. Mostly California liberal transplants? Hipsters? Down to earth?
tamutaylor12
It's all of the above. People are pretty down to earth. Hipsters rent some of the houses but it stays pretty quiet. Liberal transplants but it's more upperclass liberals that aren't as obnoxious as in other parts of town. A lot of the houses are being flipped, renovated, added on to, etc which is bringing in more of an upper income demographic.

Not sure if you are interested in public schools but some of those areas are zoned to great ones. Others aren't there yet but might be with more demographic changes.
expresswrittenconsent
It's a great part of town.
voorheesdn
AG
Great part of town that is a very unique part of Austin. My wife and I live a few blocks south of there and are both real estate agents. Happy to discuss the intricicies of the area at your convenience. david@voorheesteam.com
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Agreed. It a great part of town an rapidly developing. We focused our search there but ended up finding something we could pass up in Hyde park
Dr. Venkman
AG
Thanks for the responses. I like the older homes - what we had back in Houston. The area looks good and schools. Just concerned about the neighbors and the people in general. I'm not against diversity but wouldn't want to live in California lite.
voorheesdn
AG
You will have plenty of options for older type homes in central Austin. Price will be the determining factor for the neighborhoods that make the most sense.
Potcake
AG
All of Austin is liberals, hipsters, and envirowackos. We're also full. Thank you for inquiring.
oldarmy76
If you are an out of the closet conservative, you will be publicly shamed if you live in central austin.
Potcake
AG
BS

ETA, are we doing the reverse psychology? If not, BS.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
As long as your are going to pay more per sq foot than I did we ate all good!
Swope McGee
AG
I've lived in Crestview for the last 4 years and love it. We have a variety of neighbors ranging from "OG" neighbors that have been here since the 1950's to families that are just getting started and have young kids. In all, it's a good mix.
rather be fishing
AG
Potcake said:

BS

I don't know, have you ever seen someone post a conservative opinion on a Nextdoor thread?
Potcake
AG
Brentwood has a listserv. Poliical posts of any stripe get whacked.
512Ag
AG
Been in Brentwood for four years now. Have one kid at Brentwood Elementary and one who will start next year (and one who will go there in a few years.) We couldn't be happier. Great neighborhood with people of all stripes.

For politics, yes, it's more liberal than conservative but if you're not a jerk about it either way, you'll be fine. Regis at the neighborhood Arlan's wore a Trump button during the election and he's still alive to tell the tale.
expresswrittenconsent
Arlans, what a dump. Is there a worse grocery chain in town?
Potcake
AG
Arlens is ny go to.
rather be fishing
AG
Arlan's is good for a quick stop when I don't want to deal with the HEB traffic, and it's also Little Deli adjacent.
BTeamStarter
AG
Lived in Allandale since 2007. Transitioned from single w roommates to married w 2 kids in that time frame. Found plenty of great aspects of this part of town during all of it. Burnet Lane has blossomed and has something for everyone.

It's Austin so I do have gay neighbors w a pet pot belly pig and there are as many chickens on the block as people. However, I'm very conservative and half the block seems to be right on par where I stand on most things.

Great place. Happy to answer any questions.
rather be fishing
AG
The conservatives tend to keep their heads down stay to themselves. One of our neighbors used to have a business making dresses for drag queens. Guy on the other side left farming and retired from being a shop teacher and works downtown now. We've got duplexes across the street that I'm pretty sure the pizza delivery guy who lives in one of them sells pot, but his girlfriend has a pretty cute 2 year old. There's also a freedman's cemetery that takes up one of the lots on our cul-de-sac. It's a hodgepodge and we enjoy it.

And Burnet Road has been fantastic for property values.
expresswrittenconsent
rather be fishing said:

Burnet Lane, bro.
rather be fishing
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

rather be fishing said:

Burnet Lane, bro.
This sihtty road that goes behind the old Poodle Dog?
Swope McGee
AG
@rather be fishing- where is the Freedmen's cemetery?
And The Burnet Lane to Justin "shortcut" drives me crazy. I'm surprised there aren't more wrecks coming off of the Cullen/ Burnet intersection.
rather be fishing
AG
Swope McGee said:

@rather be fishing- where is the Freedmen's cemetery?
And The Burnet Lane to Justin "shortcut" drives me crazy. I'm surprised there aren't more wrecks coming off of the Cullen/ Burnet intersection.
Access to it is off of Woodstone Drive.
CapCity12thMan
AG
https://laughingsquid.com/judgmental-map-of-austin-neighborhoods/

This should help
Dr. Venkman
AG
Conservatives keep your heads down, drag queen dress business (didn't know there was such a thing), gays with a pot belly pig, "overly practical gays" according to the judgmental map...

Is there a better neighborhood for a family? I saw northwest hills, but that's labeled "army gays."
expresswrittenconsent
I hear Houston is nice. Give it a shot.
Mike Elko
AG
Oldie, but goodie...

Potcake
AG
Your trolling is starting to show.
Martin Q. Blank
Dr. Venkman said:

My wife and kids are considering a move to these areas. I wanted to see what the people are like. Mostly California liberal transplants? Hipsters? Down to earth?
There are a few down to earth, but they are mostly liberal, plastic-friendly and "inclusive" only on the outside. Your typical Californian. You will probably find it hard to make real friends and don't want your kids hanging out with theirs behind closed doors. I'd move back to Houston if you can.
Martin Q. Blank
Potcake said:

BS

A house lit up with Christmas lights is a rare find and all you need to know about the kind of people living in that neighborhood. Happy non-religious day off from work day!
Potcake
AG
Lot's of fishermen out today.
Martin Q. Blank
Potcake said:

Lot's of fishermen out today.
Post a picture of your block tonight. Last time a strolled through that neighborhood there were 1-2 houses per block lit up.
expresswrittenconsent
Yeah, none of those million dollar homes on shoal creek are decorated. Next you'll tell us how liberals dont celebrate christmas and how trump really did pass legislation that reversed the ban on saying merry christmas.
512Ag
AG
I suppose the mile-long trail of luminaries along Arroyo Seco organized by the neighborhood association doesn't count.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.