Austin
Sponsored by

Allandale, Crestview, Brentwood, etc

4,990 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Copperpot
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you want your kid's new friend explaining to him that he has two mommies and one is transgender, by all means move to these neighborhoods. Austin is weird, the people are weird (mostly fake), and they try really hard to keep it that way. Oh aren't we so weird! How can we top last year so nobody thinks we're not weird anymore (ironically they all dress and act the same). Not a place for a conservative trying to raise a family.
Potcake
AG
You're looking for the Politics board.
You should also have a drink, you're a little too wound up over this.
rather be fishing
AG
I'm not opposed to people not moving here.
Martin Q. Blank
Notice, OP, my post wasn't wrong. What you suspect about the people is spot on. Just something to think about. Parenting is already hard. But much harder when you have to unteach your kids everything they hear from their neighborhood friends.
Create Account
Drive around the neighborhood. You'll see rainbow flags/signs/benches. And these signs every 5th house.

The neighbors are very loving, caring, and open minded. They'll tell you on a yard sign.
rather be fishing
AG
And about twice a month some one posts a thread on Nextdoor about someone stealing their snow flake yard sign and then everyone cries in unison and someone gives a spare one sign they have in their garage.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Thanks for the variety of responses. Wow.

Are there other neighborhoods you'd recommended? I don't see how that question is trolling as someone said.

We are considering Austin Classical School in Brentwood so would like to stay near there.
voorheesdn
AG
What's your budget like? You could move a little farther south into Brykerwoods/Pemberton but the price tag could climb quickly.
Dr. Venkman
AG
That's out of our price range. And we'd like to stay within 10+/- minutes of Austin Classical to try it out. If we don't like it we'll just go to the public schools (Gullett or Brentwood) since they're rated well. I also work in Round Rock which is a 20 minute drive from the area.

Just trying to get a feel for the different communities around the area.
voorheesdn
AG
There are some great areas just north/northwest as well I would consider. Balcones Woods/Millwood/Great Hills area and all have Above Average - Excellent schools.
rather be fishing
AG
aggdave said:

There are some great areas just north/northwest as well I would consider. Balcones Woods/Millwood/Great Hills area and all have Above Average - Excellent schools.

If you can afford a $500k+ house.
voorheesdn
AG
rather be fishing said:

aggdave said:

Given that they are shopping in Brentwood/Crestview/Allandale they would be very similar priced neighborhoods. Millwood and parts of Balcones Woods can easily be sub $400k.
Dr. Venkman
AG
rather be fishing said:

aggdave said:

Can you email me? I have a question for you. charles0608ag at gmail
rather be fishing
AG
Was that to me or aggdave?
Dr. Venkman
AG
you
voorheesdn
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

you

Talk about feeling left out
Dr. Venkman
AG
haha...nothing personal. We won't be able to buy in Austin for a year and a half at least and not ready for a realtor. We are also considering moving back to Houston.
Copperpot
AG
Almost bought a house on Aggie Lane in Brentwood two years ago.

We live in Rosedale and love it. Everything we need is in walking distance of our house. We don't drive on the weekends.

Very safe and a great place to raise kids. Our whole neighborhood is young families.

Central Austin is inclusive, diverse, open minded and accepting. If that's not your bag, then it's probably not a good area for you. Focus your search in Williamson County.
chet98
AG
Ditto Austinaggie2003. We've been in Crestview since 2004, Brentwood for a few years renting before that. Central Austin is quite unique and the mix of houses and families is one of the draws to me rather than a downside. That said we're actually moving out to Jester to get a little more space. Kids getting big and the walls of our house kind of closing in on us. But we'll miss this area although we'll be in it all the time as our kids go to St Louis Catholic School.
thirty-two
AG
I still chuckle and say "boring apartment dwellers" every time I drive by those older apartments off of Far West just west of Mopac.
Potcake
AG
I'm a parishioner at St. Louis
12thMan86
AG
I work from home and have lived in Lakeway since 04. Lake view, new 2800 sf house for 500k. That won't buy me much in Austin.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I always wondered how it got popular to add phobic meaning "having a fear of" to words like homo, trans and xeno, this thread showed me.

Don't worry, you are probably not going to catch by being a good neighbor.

My neighbors in HP are a retired couple who worked in California but grew up in Texas, a family with two high school boys(professors), a family with two kids under 5 (small business owners), two dinks (professional services), a divorced guy (IT) with 50% custody of his daugter and one house with 3 student (2 guys and 1 girl) who are great neighbors. 70% white if that's your thing. So diverish by race but very diverse by political affiliation, religion and backgrounds and they all regularly watch our house, our dogs and we exchange gasp "Holiday/Christmas" foods every year. 3/5 had external lights and all had trees. 1 has the diversity sign posted and they are conservatives.
Propane & Accessories
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

Mostly California liberal transplants? Hipsters? Down to earth?
Yes, still a lot of Bernie Believers in Austin
You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
evan_aggie
AG
Create Account said:

Drive around the neighborhood. You'll see rainbow flags/signs/benches. And these signs every 5th house.

The neighbors are very loving, caring, and open minded. They'll tell you on a yard sign.

You know what I don't get about this? Everyone has them. What's the point when everyone already feels the same way. It's not like they are getting across an unpopular opinion...
expresswrittenconsent
So you think the point of putting up a sign in your yard is to express an unpopular opinion?
evan_aggie
AG
I think you misread, or perhaps I don't get the retort.

My point is: if 75% of neighbors put up a sign saying, "equality, science is real, blah blah".... why bother? It goes without saying that everyone feels the same. What statement is being made?
Potcake
AG
I don't think the percentage of houses with that sign is that high but it sure seems to rile some people up.
expresswrittenconsent
evan_aggie said:

I think you misread, or perhaps I don't get the retort.

My point is: if 75% of neighbors put up a sign saying, "equality, science is real, blah blah".... why bother? It goes without saying that everyone feels the same. What statement is being made?

So again, you think a yard sign is supposed to differentiate from neighbors or provide an unpopular opinion? Presumably you can point me to where you have posted similarly about streets in bcs with lots of aggie flags flying or streets in other parts of texas with lots of spurs/ cowboys flags/signs up, or streets in some small texas town where everyone has a united methodist or 1st baptist church flag/sign or the whole street has a paw print sign supporting the high school football team. Since everyone feels the same way, what statement is being made, right?
evan_aggie
expresswrittenconsent
That's what I thought
evan_aggie
AG
Yeah bro. You win.
rather be fishing
AG
Those signs are dumb. They don't hurt my feelings. If anything they tell you which of your neighbors get butthurt easily.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
OMG Yard Signs!
Copperpot
AG
Damn those inclusive people and there positive yard signs...bunch of hippie tree huggers!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.