Austin
Sponsored by

Potential MLS Team in Austin

8,138 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jckrjr7
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would love for us to get a MLS team here in Austin especially if they can put it somewhere not called Round Rock or Cedar Park.

https://medium.com/supporters-union/mls-in-austin-stadium-watch-butler-shores-7034a9ce66e5
ByrdEWhiteTrash
AG

Houston averaged 19K fans in 2016, Dallas avg 14K per game.

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2016-mls-attendance/

I don't disagree that there are better uses for Butler fields than softball, but soccer doesn't do it for me.

And if they are going to ask us taxpayers to pay for the stadium, HELL NO!

Furlock Bones
AG
i'd love a professional sports team here. we're not getting a baseball, football, basketball, or hockey team.
rather be fishing
AG
If there's a reasonable way to get pro hockey or baseball in Austin city Limits I'd be the first in line to vote yes for a bond.
KT 90
AG
rather be fishing said:

If there's a reasonable way to get pro hockey or baseball in Austin city Limits I'd be the first in line to vote yes for a bond.

Meh, would need to see where it was and what it would house first. Are we about to get worked over the a new arena to replace the Erwin Center? Even though it would be primarily for the sips, I'm sure the City of Austin will fall for it and take on the bill. I guess in your example, it could house a hockey team, but they already have a relatively new facility for that in Cedar Park.

Wish the Express would have landed in Austin back in the day rather than Round Rock. Now that a nice stadium is already build up there for baseball, no way to get a minor league team in Austin proper. Don't think Austin would ever get a mlb team, although they could do something between Austin and SA that could potentially work someday.

Sick of the ever increasing tax bills around here. I know, old man yells "get off my lawn"...

HECUBUS
AG
Spent many seasons on Preston field and the LL field next to it with the boy. The traffic got so bad, we changed select baseball teams. Good place for soccer; nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

rather be fishing
AG
KT 90 said:

rather be fishing said:

Meh, would need to see where it was and what it would house first. Are we about to get worked over the a new arena to replace the Erwin Center? Even though it would be primarily for the sips, I'm sure the City of Austin will fall for it and take on the bill. I guess in your example, it could house a hockey team, but they already have a relatively new facility for that in Cedar Park.

Wish the Express would have landed in Austin back in the day rather than Round Rock. Now that a nice stadium is already build up there for baseball, no way to get a minor league team in Austin proper. Don't think Austin would ever get a mlb team, although they could do something between Austin and SA that could potentially work someday.

Sick of the ever increasing tax bills around here. I know, old man yells "get off my lawn"...

The only bond electing I have ever voted for was the one for conservation land in the last election. I absolutely hate the inevitable morons libs passing everything that comes out in the ballot. But, I love hockey and baseball and those are the 2 most reasonable sports to get an expansion team out of. I don't care for basketball and football will never happen.

Soccer may as well be WNBA.

Also, the CPC holds like 5k people for Dallas Stars games. It's nowhere close to the calibre facility it would take to get a real major league team into it.
AgGrad99
AG
I would absolutely love this. Love it.

And I think it would be a HUGE hit with the demographics in Austin. MLS does well in high tech cities, there is a big Youth soccer presence here (and growing), soccer is big in texas and there is a sizable Latino community.

The MLS has a big push for 'city-center' stadiums. If if was close to downtown, and had a view of the hill country or the city skyline, that would be cool. But practically, they should build it somewhere near 130, and have a direct Metro Rail from downtown. That way it's accessible for people up north and south with 130, and accommodates people coming from the city/downtown area.

I hope it happens.
AgGrad99
AG
http://cbsaustin.com/news/local/gallery/city-of-austin-releases-list-of-potential-sites-for-mls-stadium#photo-2

List of possible sites, released by the city.

The 10414 McKalla place location looks pretty cool. You have the Domain across the street, with all kinds of restaurants and bars for people to visit before/after the game. But it would seem to make traffic an absolute nightmare getting in and out. Especially for weekday games. Not sure how it's even possible, given the traffic that's already there during a normal day. They would have to do something massive to the roadways to make it feasible.

The East-Most locations would be the easiest for people to get to. The west/south would be really tough for everyone not downtown already.
Frozen Concoction
It's gotta be east or in Columbus. I oppose anything that has any possibility of adding any more traffic west of I-35.
rather be fishing
AG
I say bulldoze Rundberg and put it there.
Martin Q. Blank
Furlock Bones said:

i'd love a professional sports team here. we're not getting a baseball, football, basketball, or hockey team.
Round Rock has baseball and Leander has basketball and hockey.
Furlock Bones
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Furlock Bones said:

rather be fishing
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Furlock Bones said:

2nd rate professional sports are the first place losers.
Aust Ag
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Furlock Bones said:

There's a hockey team in Austin?
AgGrad99
AG
Texas Stars....Dallas' minor league team.

Fun time if you've never been.

The Organization trained at the Cedar Park Center before the season. It was fun seeing hockey players around the 1890 Ranch area for a couple weeks.
expresswrittenconsent
Aust Ag said:

Furlock Bones said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Furlock Bones said:

Nah, but there is one 35 minutes away from austin in cedar park.
rather be fishing
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Aust Ag said:

Furlock Bones said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Furlock Bones said:

It's the same thing as when the Capital City A&M Club has their game watch parties in San Antonio.
expresswrittenconsent
I had to look it up. I remember they used to be at 3rd base at 5th and mopac but i assume you are talking about southpark meadows. I remember seeing metallica in a cow pasture at southpark meadows in the 90s and back then it felt like you actually left austin for 15 minutes and were almost to san marcos to get out to there.
rather be fishing
AG

I had to look it up. I remember they used to be at 3rd base at 5th and mopac but i assume you are talking about southpark meadows. I remember seeing metallica in a cow pasture at southpark meadows in the 90s and back then it felt like you actually left austin for 15 minutes and were almost to san marcos to get out to there.
Yeah, that's the place.
fig96
AG

Aust Ag said:

Furlock Bones said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Furlock Bones said:

How slow do you drive?
OregonAggie
AG
AgGrad99 said:

I would absolutely love this. Love it.

And I think it would be a HUGE hit with the demographics in Austin. MLS does well in high tech cities, there is a big Youth soccer presence here (and growing), soccer is big in texas and there is a sizable Latino community.

The MLS has a big push for 'city-center' stadiums. If if was close to downtown, and had a view of the hill country or the city skyline, that would be cool. But practically, they should build it somewhere near 130, and have a direct Metro Rail from downtown. That way it's accessible for people up north and south with 130, and accommodates people coming from the city/downtown area.

I hope it happens.

I agree that Austin would be a great choice based on what you've said and I will use Portland as a good comparison. Portland has the Trailblazers but doesn't have any other pro sports teams so the town supports them very well. Youth soccer is much bigger here in Texas also.

Regarding attendance numbers posted previously, I can speak to FC Dallas' poor numbers since I live in Frisco right now. They're so far north that the stadium doesn't fill up. If you live in South Dallas, you have to drive an hour and pay tolls to get up there...that by and large takes out a large chunk of the Hispanic population from ever walking into the stadium.

I'm unsure of where to put it in Austin as I have never lived there, but a downtown location that's accessible to most would do well.
AggieOO
rather be fishing said:

so you want to displace all the people who would actually go to soccer games?
rather be fishing
AG
AggieOO said:

rather be fishing said:

so you want to displace all the people who would actually go to soccer games?
hookers, pimps, and crackheads don't go to soccer games.
OregonAggie
AG
With Cincinnati FC's approval for a MLS team, many are thinking this means the end of the road for the Crew staying in Columbus. The Precourt Group released plans for a stadium at Braker and Burnet a couple weeks ago.

Don Garber, the MLS commissioner, made it sound like a move to Austin shouldn't be held up in court so I'm hoping this happens!
Furlock Bones
AG
OregonAggie said:

With Cincinnati FC's approval for a MLS team, many are thinking this means the end of the road for the Crew staying in Columbus. The Precourt Group released plans for a stadium at Braker and Burnet a couple weeks ago.

Don Garber, the MLS commissioner, made it sound like a move to Austin shouldn't be held up in court so I'm hoping this happens!
North Side stadiums.
who?mikejones
AG
Quote:

North Side stadiums.

Blame the hippies
Mike Elko
AG
Such a strange spot for a stadium. I get the proximity to The Domain, but that area's already a cluster. That said, I'll still go to as many matches as possible.
rather be fishing
AG
Proximity to existing metro rail stop is a big draw, plus it's in the corridor of Austin, as opposed to basically Williamson County (Dell Diamond) and might as well be Bell County (CPC). This is probably the only viable option for a major league sport team existing within the city limits of Austin.
JT88
AG
Blown chance to put it downtown like they did in Portland. Oh well.
gillom
AG
I sat in on a Real Estate development roundtable a couple weeks ago. The attorney representing the MLS team was part of it. As well as 'North side' developers. Essentially, The Domain is is the new Downtown. In 10 years it won't even be North Austin anymore with all of the northern expansion planned. The rail stop also plays a big role.
SteveBott
AG
Not sure where you would put it south of 183 unless you use an existing park.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I've been hearing near the Domain, in that business park and brewery area.
expresswrittenconsent
SteveBott said:

Not sure where you would put it south of 183 unless you use an existing park.

Guerrero Park was one proposal (east end of hike bike trail at pleasant valley rd.
SteveBott
AG
Yes and several others. Great location but as I said you would take a long standing park from the locals.

I doubt the council would want to fight that war. And hand to hand combat would be sure to happen.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.