COB to discuss ending lease agreement with Bombers

10,524 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ElephantRider
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2024/07/16/city-bryan-reviews-entertainment-agreements-special-session/

What on earth!?!
JMac03
AG
Ironically just got this email:

Bombers fans, we need your support to save our beloved Brazos Valley Bombers. For 18 years, the Bombers have brought joy, pride, and economic benefits to Bryan.
Now the city is terminating the lease for convenience and you can stop it by going to city hall on Thursday.

Link to RSVP: https://savethebombers.splashthat.com

Event Details:
Date: Thursday, July 18th
Time: 3 PM (arrive by 2:45 PM to sign up to speak)

We need your help - show up and be there to support the Bombers.

If you would like, you can also decide to speak for 90 seconds about the Bombers' positive impact to you and our community. Your testimonials can highlight our contributions to tourism, local charities, and our historic ballpark.
To speak, arrive 10-15 minutes early and fill out a short form at city hall. Your voice is crucial to help preserve our team.

Thank you for your support. Together, we can secure the future of the Brazos Valley Bombers! #SaveTheBombers #CommunitySupport #BryanTX
Mathguy64
AG
This seems strange. Uri must have pissed someone off.
wareagle044
Well it's not going to be replaced with a disc golf course, so what are they gonna do instead?
woodometer
AG
My guess is that the developers that run the city either have someone that wants to put something where the ball park is or the city is planning to enlarge Travis Park which would mean taking out all of the older houses between the Park and the ball fields. Looking at a map it looks like they have already connected Bomber drive to Midtown drive for this reason.
Brazos1865
AG
Well…I don't like the sound of this, at all.
iisanaggie
AG
I have been disgusted with how the Travis redevelopment has been handled. As a Bryan United LL parent, we lobbied the community to support it. We were promised so many things that never came to fruition (more HS size fields, first priority, more t-ball fields). Now, they have fenced it off and want waivers and reservations to use what used to be open to the public. I don't think the public needs a waiver or reservations to use the skateboard park, basketball goal, playgrounds, etc. The liability argument is stupid.

I could almost bet that there is potential to male money off of the Edible field property and the value to the community doesn't matter.

I have tried to talk to the new Parks and Rec director. When he finally called me back after several weeks, he knew very little about how the new Travis fields were developed and promised to get back to me. Nothing. I have heard many others state that he is very hard to get a hold of and does not return calls in a timely manner, if at all.

Andrew Nelson, who pushed the new park at the LL parents and begged us to support it, owes us all a big apology. (Not that he would ever lower himself to that level.)
cslifer
Just emailed council, I strongly recommend everyone do the same.
BCSWguru
City of Bryan needs to take a long minute to remember who the previous two parks directors were and be more like them.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
For anyone who hasn't been, even if you're not a huge baseball fan a bombers home game is a really fun and relaxing evening. Really nice to just go out and watch ball without the huge pressure of being insanely invested in a teams success and just watching and casually hoping they win while eating, drinking, and enjoying yourself. I'd highly recommend trying it.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Why not just play at Olsen?
I realize that the rent will be higher, but it will be a better experience, in my opinion.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Didn't Edible Arrangements recently go out of business in BCS? Any chance those what i would assume were financial reasons that led them to close their business be tied to this issue? Was Edible Arrangements making payments for Edible field?
halibut sinclair
Captn_Ag05 said:

Didn't Edible Arrangements recently go out of business in BCS? Any chance those what i would assume were financial reasons that led them to close their business be tied to this issue? Was Edible Arrangements making payments for Edible field?

Uri Geva, who owns the Bombers, owns dozens of Edible Arrangements franchises in addition to the one that closed here.
keo1
AG
the maintenance at the park is horrible. Field is trash
Keo1 Landscaping and Irrigating BCS since '91 If its growing we can mow it
FlyRod
This would suck. Love our Bombers.
keo1
AG
tell Uri to take care of the ball park. We had schools rent it for high school playoffs and place was in horrible shape. Coaches were ho came from out of town said they would not come back

Holes in turf and pitchers mound

Fence has holes in it and is not attached in outfield
Signs on fence were dry rotting
Dressing room has water run through it and no lights (Wet floors)

Keo1 Landscaping and Irrigating BCS since '91 If its growing we can mow it
BCSWguru
The field is in terrible shape, especially around home plate. I'd use this opportunity to find a new place. College Station should have built a field at Veterans that was capable of handling it. Perfect location.
Thisguy1
People think turf means maintenance free and that just ain't the case. I played on a turf field in college and they replaced the batter's box every year and ended up doing the turf around the bases while I was there. The batter's box and sliding paths were swept to even out the rubber underneath every day and the entire field was groomed before every home series. The mound has to be swept every day otherwise you end up with bad lips. Since I've left they've redone the entire surface..
dubi
AG
This was a comment on Rusty Surette's FB Post about Bomber Field.

Quote:

The Bombers aren't the problem, the management and condition of the facility is the problem. If Uri Geva would take care of fixing all the issues such as installing the new seats that have been sitting out there for years, addressing other seating issues for safety reasons, fixing the backstop padding and net, addressing issues with the fencing on the visitors dugout, fixing the scoreboard, replacing or fixing the sound system, making sure the stadium lights are working properly, cleaning the bathrooms regularly, making sure bathrooms are stocked with toilet paper, paper towels, and soap.

The facility is used year-round by schools and other organizations, not just during the summer for Bombers games and the conditions are ridiculous. Trash cans were not emptied for at least a month and Uri Geva was being paid by schools and organizations to use the facility weekly. Uri Geva and the City of Bryan should be embarrassed at the conditions.

The food served is a major issue during the Bombers season. Food is not fresh; they are always out of items on the menu…even during opening weekend when you should have enough items in anticipation of a large crowd. After having no home games for almost 2 weeks, they were not prepared with enough food or candy to serve an average size crowd. What they did have to serve was stale chips for nachos, frito pies, and pretzels that were hard as a rock. This has been an ongoing problem for years. You have people paying for sponsorships that are now embarrassed to have their names associated with the facility.

I understand everyone wants the Bombers and the stadium to stay, my family and friends enjoy attending games every summer, but the management of the facility must change. Everyone needs to consider that the facility is not only used during the Bombers season, but also for 9-10 months out of the year by numerous schools and organizations that pay money to use the facility yet see how poorly it is maintained and neglected. With good management and improvements, the facility could be so much better and draw more organizations that want to have events there. In the current state, it's not very appealing.
BCSWguru
The TCL was an elite league in its hey day. It's a shell of its former self, much like Travis Field. I was honestly perplexed how the playing surface was in such bad shape. If they were to not renew the lease, where would they go? My guess is they'd fold.
Vinewood_03
We played travel ball at Travis this past Spring and that place is a dump. Fields and facilities were garbage. Everything was either broke or in need of serious replacing. Folks might be mad at the COB; but I'd take a long hard look at the tenant.
City of Bryan - PIO
Due to a lot of misinformation, I wanted to provide some clarity about the City of Bryan and Infinity Sports Entertainment (Brazos Valley Bombers) Exclusive Facility Use Agreement.

Please read the statement and view supporting documentation here: https://bit.ly/3WnAgkD
- - - - - -
Lacey Lively
Communications & Marketing Director
City of Bryan, Texas
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
To be fair, that comment that was one of the very negative ones out of what seemed like hundreds of positive ones. So it doesn't seem like everyone had that experience. I certainly didn't.

Fwiw, I've read that bombers have spent over a million cumulative dollars on that facility in the last 18 years. It was an absolute dump at one point in a very undeveloped part of town when they started re-developing it. Are Travis fields and Dbat there if bombers hadn't paved the way before it seemed smart?
PS3D
iisanaggie said:

I have been disgusted with how the Travis redevelopment has been handled. As a Bryan United LL parent, we lobbied the community to support it. We were promised so many things that never came to fruition (more HS size fields, first priority, more t-ball fields). Now, they have fenced it off and want waivers and reservations to use what used to be open to the public. I don't think the public needs a waiver or reservations to use the skateboard park, basketball goal, playgrounds, etc. The liability argument is stupid.

I could almost bet that there is potential to male money off of the Edible field property and the value to the community doesn't matter.

I have tried to talk to the new Parks and Rec director. When he finally called me back after several weeks, he knew very little about how the new Travis fields were developed and promised to get back to me. Nothing. I have heard many others state that he is very hard to get a hold of and does not return calls in a timely manner, if at all.

Andrew Nelson, who pushed the new park at the LL parents and begged us to support it, owes us all a big apology. (Not that he would ever lower himself to that level.)
I know that the original discussion was a "superpark" with more ballparks but I seem to remember this board laughing and clapping along to CoB selling out the park to developers (TopGolf, movie theaters, etc.) with not only no debate on if this was a good idea or not, but how Bryan was "doing the right thing" as CoCS purchased the Macy's building which was apparently a terrible sin.
Brian Alg
I was laughing at the Superpark. But not because I thought it was a good idea.
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government and Moderator Restraint
Tailgate88
AG
Statement from the COB per KBTX:

Quote:

The City of Bryan on Tuesday night shared a statement with KBTX that provides more background on the negotiations between the city and Infinity Sports Entertainment, LLC - the owner and operator of the Brazos Valley Bombers and Twin City Toucans.

"Travis Major Field, also known as Edible Field, is owned by the City of Bryan and is currently in an exclusive facility use agreement with Infinity Sports Entertainment, LLC that started in 2006.

During negotiation discussions dating back to 2006, the agreement was expected to significantly boost tourism revenue. However, Infinity's tax impact included $6,718 in HOT and $8,147 in sales tax revenues in 2023.

In the last 18 years, Infinity has not been required to pay for rent or utilities; the City of Bryan has been covering those costs. In 2017, the City invested about $1.7 million dollars in Edible Field improvements, while Infinity agreed to participate in the cost by paying $27,836 a year for 10 years.

Given the City's overall investment in Travis Bryan Midtown Park, it is in the public's best interest to evaluate all available options, ensure public facilities are used for the public's benefit, and secure the best value for the citizens' tax dollars.

In Spring 2023, initial discussions began between City staff and Infinity about the possibility of requesting proposals to ensure Travis Major Field (Edible Field) is being used to its upmost potential; such proposals could still provide Infinity the ability to rent the facility to accommodate the Brazos Valley Bombers, and Twin City Toucan, seasons.

On April 28, 2024, Infinity requested to renew the agreement, which they refer to as a lease.

On May 18, the City responded to Infinity's request to renew with new terms that included Infinity renting the facility at a rate to be negotiated and cover the cost of utilities for three months during the Bombers [and Toucans'] season. This response included the City's desire to explore other options to maximize use of the facility, while also allowing the Bombers to remain.

In response, Infinity's legal counsel from Illinois withdrew their renewal notice, stating that any attempts by the City to alter the agreement, including issuing a request for proposals, would be met with "vigorous legal and public relations response."

On July 3, the City provided Infinity with a termination letter effective Dec. 31, 2024, stating the City may seek proposals for an agreement for operation and management of the facility, and that Infinity is welcome to submit a proposal if and when the time comes.

On July 15, Infinity submitted a request for the City to rescind its termination.

The July 18 Special Meeting is to update the City Council on the most recent request from Infinity, provide direction to staff, and possibly take action."
BCSWguru
Sucks lawyers are involved.

I hope they can figure something out and get the field corrected and keep the Bombers.
rockelle
Seems to be a good time to quote Paul Harvey here... That was a really bad look for the Bombers and their statements along with the KBTX story leans towards dishonesty.

The Bombers is a for profit business but seems like the City is having to bear the expenses for the team.
ZoneClubber
AG
BCSWguru said:

Sucks lawyers are involved.

Especially Illinois lawyers
UG98
The following information below are the FACTS, a lot of them. There is so much from 18 years of data that we hope these numbers provide a little bit more insight into a partnership that was far from FREE to the Bombers. We ask council to vote NO on terminating the lease for convenience and to honor the lease for 2025.

Economic Impact and Community Value
  • Tax Revenue: In 2023, Infinity Sports Entertainment generated an Estimated HOT Revenue for the City of Bryan alone of $11457* and paid $15472 in sales tax contributing significantly more than reported.
  • The Bombers had a $1.72M of economic impact in 2023 alone*
  • Since 2017 the Bombers estimated HOT revenues for the City of Bryan have been $91,507* and the Bombers provided a total economic impact during those 7 years of $13.2M*
  • Tourism Boost: Events hosted at the ballpark generated 49,614 visitors last year, supporting local businesses and hotels.
  • Community Engagement: Our teams have created over 30 summer jobs and 4 year round local jobs, hosted 271 teams at the ballpark and held multiple community events (Boofest, Chamber Softball Game, United Way, Children's Museum Family Day, Special Olympics Opening Ceremonies, Little League Opening Ceremonies, etc.), and contributed thousands of gifts to local charities.
* These estimates are based on the City of Bryan provided calculation for Tourism & Economic Impacts that are agreed and submitted to the state annually.
** Sales Tax total is for the Bombers and the concession company at the ballpark Infinity Food & Beverage
*** The ballpark generated almost no revenues to the city prior to the Bombers arrival

Investment in the Ballpark

• Facility Improvements: Since 2006, Infinity has invested over $813,124 in renovations and maintenance of Edible Field, including the $29354* annual contribution for the 2016 improvements. Here is a link to the initial story from the Bombers about the original renovation at the ballpark https://bvbombers.com/team/news/index.html?article_id=58
  • Utility and Maintenance Costs: Infinity covers 100%** of maintenance and event-related expenses, contrary to claims of not paying rent or utilities. While utilities have remained within the city spending prior to Bombers take over (based on 2006 rates) according to a BTU source.
* Includes the additional fence upgrades in 2017 as part of the current lease agreement which was agreed upon both the City of Bryan & the Bombers
** The city of Bryan does service field lights through a 20 year warranty by Musco Lighting

Comparative Analysis

• Cost-Benefit: The City's investment of $1.7 million has been matched by our significant financial and community contributions, resulting in a net positive impact, considering the field was desolate and generating no income to the City of Bryan while costing thousands of dollars of upkeep to the parks department.
  • Alternative Proposals: Evaluations show that our teams provide unique community benefits and economic returns that alternative uses may not replicate, while ensure the facility is booked most days of the year for tournaments and high school games.

Negotiation and Legal Context

• Timeline and Communication: Our negotiations with the City have been ongoing and transparent until the city started negotiating in bad faith. Refusing to meet, changing the merits of our current lease with their proposed new terms and basically showing us the door. The lawyers provided an opportunity for us to take the time and work through what the future could look like and the city choose to retaliate and terminate for convenience.
  • Legal Agreements: We have met all obligations under the existing agreements, and any new terms proposed should be negotiated fairly and within the terms of the current lease.

Finally and most importantly - Affordable Family Fun continues : A Family of 4 can attend a Bombers game, get 2 kids zone passes, 4 sodas, 4 bomber dogs and 4 chips for $87 plus tax.

#HonorTheLease
BCSWguru
Thanks for posting, Uri. Hope yall figure this out.
rockelle
Sounds like the city is fine with renewing the agreement, just at terms that are more beneficial to the city and taxpayers. So you keep using terms like "terminate" and inflammatory spin, when it seems like renewal and new terms is what is being requested. And you have made improvements to the facility, but that benefits your business. And I'm pretty sure your players aren't paid, you don't pay rent, and don't pay for the utilities. You're making money on the backs of the taxpayers.

From Councilman Salvato

Quote:

*LONG POST*

A lot more is happening here than meets the eye. There are two sides to every story. I'm asking that you take the time to read the response by the City of Bryan for some additional details.

I love this city and the people that live here. I have a young family myself and we always enjoy attending Bombers games. However, city partnerships must be equitable for all parties, most importantly our citizens. We are not looking to cancel the current agreement for "convenience". We are working to bring the terms of the new agreement to be reflective of any new partnership we would enter in to. To my knowledge no other private entity has the use of a city facility for FREE in addition to having their utility bill and capital improvements paid for by the City of Bryan.

We're not proposing new housing or retail developments for Bombers Field contrary to some comments I've seen. We realize the value and quality of life the Bombers bring to the City of Bryan and I assure you, everyone wants talks between all parties to come to an equitable agreement. As a Bryan City Councilman I want to personally invite you to our meeting on Thursday (7/18) at 3PM to voice your concerns, but also hear the reality of the situation.

At times, as Council Members, we are handcuffed as to what we can say, when and how we can say it. Do your own research instead of taking a Facebook post as gospel as to what's happening.

I love the City of Bryan. I was raised here, I went to school here, I raise my family here. I along with everyone else in a leadership position within the City of Bryan would never do something to negatively impact this community or the people that live here. We make decisions with the information we have at hand, to hopefully improve Bryan for current and future generations. (Side note - we may get it wrong sometimes and/or not make everyone happy).

For far too long the narrative of some of these stories has been dictated by the party that feels they are being wronged. I ask that everyone who has a vested interest in the City of Bryan to ask questions of both parties, form your own opinion and realize that some people are only after the number of likes, comments or clicks they can get. I've read the lease agreement between the two parties, and am happy to clarify any questions you may have.
tbone94
AG
They came to us (Aggieland Green) a handful of years ago about renovating the field and finally getting it healthy but didn't want to pay a dime. They wanted to trade for tickets and some less than equitable advertising for an expensive and challenging project. Hard pass!
halibut sinclair
Uri, how do you respond to the reports of less-than-favorable conditions of the field, fences, locker rooms, bathrooms, concessions, etc.?
Anonymous Source
S
So, we're not paying rent or utilities or players. Most of the employees out there are unpaid "interns". The field is in need of serious work, and by some accounts, the dressing rooms and other facilities are in great disrepair.

Yeah, I can see why the Bombers are worried about this. Gravy train is pulling in to the station. I, for one, don't think a business should get an exclusivity arrangement on tax payer owned property without paying rent.
Gig 'Em
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.