COB to discuss ending lease agreement with Bombers

10,687 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ElephantRider
BucketofBalls99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just think if the COB or someone else takes over and does it their way, then they will price the fans out of going. I'm sure higher prices will come of it, that Uri isn't charging right now.

My guess…
Uri - not investing much into the facilities, but charges low prices on everything so families can enjoy.

COB/someone else - will invest into facilities, but as a result prices of everything will prob be higher, which in turn, will not pull in as many fans.

I would hate to see it go. Not sure what the right answer is. Not sure how the funds can be there to rehab the facilities and get families out there for cheap.
jmctamu98
AG
aggiefan2002 said:

My two cents:

• Even if Bryan decides not to continue the relationship, it is poor form to end a lease a year and a half early for "convenience." And yes, that is what Bryan is on the record saying they would be doing.

• Bryan pumps money into A TON of businesses via real cash and tax breaks. Especially in the last few years with midtown. I cannot imagine how much they've spent on downtown in the last decade. I believe the number would be staggering. So it seems odd that this is being pointed out as an anomaly. This is how Bryan operates when they want growth and re-development which is what this part of town and the ballpark needed 18 years ago. Nobody was paying rent to get access to a stadium that should be demolished.

I agree. If this was a bad deal by the CoB, then the people that struck the deal should be scrutinized and it should be not renewed or possibly renegotiated, but to cancel it a year early just because you now have a prettier prospect is wrong. Just don't renew it if you don't like the deal.

What happens in 20 years when another Uri comes along and wants to try to revitalize a run down part of town. These events just tell them that CoB can't be trusted. They didn't have to keep renewing the lease, but they did.

When I make an agreement, I see it out whether or not it turns out to be good for me.

maroon barchetta
I know what happened.

Edible Arrangements closed down.

CoB employees and leaders quit receiving complimentary arrangements of goodies and suddenly…

*poof*

Ballpark lease agreement gets nuked.
Deej
AG
What everyone seems to be missing. If the park is in poor shape and someone gets hurt. It is the city that would be liable because it is city property
trouble
AG
Or maybe more families go because it's not a dump.
aggiefan2002
Nah, the city didn't care for the last 18 years. There's clearly some good ol boy back door stuff going on here.
fireAG06
AG
jmctamu98 said:

aggiefan2002 said:

My two cents:

• Even if Bryan decides not to continue the relationship, it is poor form to end a lease a year and a half early for "convenience." And yes, that is what Bryan is on the record saying they would be doing.

• Bryan pumps money into A TON of businesses via real cash and tax breaks. Especially in the last few years with midtown. I cannot imagine how much they've spent on downtown in the last decade. I believe the number would be staggering. So it seems odd that this is being pointed out as an anomaly. This is how Bryan operates when they want growth and re-development which is what this part of town and the ballpark needed 18 years ago. Nobody was paying rent to get access to a stadium that should be demolished.

I agree. If this was a bad deal by the CoB, then the people that struck the deal should be scrutinized and it should be not renewed or possibly renegotiated, but to cancel it a year early just because you now have a prettier prospect is wrong. Just don't renew it if you don't like the deal.

What happens in 20 years when another Uri comes along and wants to try to revitalize a run down part of town. These events just tell them that CoB can't be trusted. They didn't have to keep renewing the lease, but they did.

When I make an agreement, I see it out whether or not it turns out to be good for me.

While agree with you on the face, I'd ask why Uri is trying to go back on his agreement where he agreed the city could terminate for "convenience."

If the bombers didn't want that possibility, they shouldn't have agreed to it. But they did.
jmctamu98
AG

Fair enough. It just seems that this could end happy and peacefully by honoring the last year. That would give the Bombers time to explore their options and the CoB could be seen as the good guy in all of this.

I am not disputing CoB's right to exercise that clause and I do not agree with Infinity using lawyers to challenge it. I just question whether it is the right thing to do it.
PS3D
jmctamu98 said:

Fair enough. It just seems that this could end happy and peacefully by honoring the last year. That would give the Bombers time to explore their options and the CoB could be seen as the good guy in all of this.

I am not disputing CoB's right to exercise that clause and I do not agree with Infinity using lawyers to challenge it. I just question whether it is the right thing to do it.
CoB only looks like the "bad guy" in the situation because people have a soft spot for the Bombers. The problem is that the field is in very poor repair and Mr. Geva hasn't been very forthcoming in the reasons for it being as such.
Anonymous Source
S
PS3D said:

jmctamu98 said:

CoB only looks like the "bad guy" in the situation because people have a soft spot for the Bombers. The problem is that the field is in very poor repair and Mr. Geva hasn't been very forthcoming in the reasons for it being as such.

Well, it looks like part of the reason at least is that he couldn't find someone to make improvements for free.
Gig 'Em
BCSWguru
Glad to see they rescinded the lease termination and the Bombers are still here (for now). But going forward, the city should take over the maintenance and the Bombers pay the same fee as everyone else. All of the upgrades were done on the cheap and now its falling apart. Do it right or get rid of it.
DonHenley
AG
After watching the council meeting I agree that the best decision was made between the two parties to honor the current lease with Infinity through next year. That said, the city needs better options for 2026 and beyond.
rockelle
I also watched the entirety of the council meeting. Between the city's presentation which was well done and respectful, and the council comments and questions, it seems as though the agreement will change and the owner of the Bombers will have to start pulling his own weight, without the benefit of taxpayer and city money after this agreement expires.

Quite frankly, some of the numbers that were discussed about what the city has spent between improvements and utilities were shocking. College Station residents are throwing a fit over the cost of the sign in front of City Hall yet all these bomber fans are supporting millions $$$ of expenses by the city of Bryan. The people that showed up the meeting far exceeded a normal bombers attendance. And I like the bombers games, they are fun.
ElephantRider
AG
BCSWguru said:

Glad to see they rescinded the lease termination and the Bombers are still here (for now). But going forward, the city should take over the maintenance and the Bombers pay the same fee as everyone else. All of the upgrades were done on the cheap and now it's falling apart. Do it right or get rid of it.

I guess that's what happens when you try to pay for repairs with tickets and hot dogs

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.