Oak Trees on Curbs (Help Me Out)

1,877 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TheOC16
TheOC16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you see Oak trees (or Pecan) that have been cut down and stacked at a curb, please let me know. I like storing up and seasoning the wood for BBQing (and theoretically for my fireplace, but I never have too much for BBQ that I've had the luxury of using seasoned wood in the fireplace). I have done pretty well on one of my own trees and a couple found around my neighborhood the past year, but I need to always be adding more.

If you alert me to a spot that I wind up using, I will give you some ribs or brisket the next time I barbecue.
localag88
You may not want to travel, but I'm told Temple is covered up with limbs on the curb waiting their turn to be hauled off.
The problem with people that don't get it is they don't get that they don't get it.
doubledog
TheOC16 said:

If you see Oak trees (or Pecan) that have been cut down and stacked at a curb, please let me know. I like storing up and seasoning the wood for BBQing (and theoretically for my fireplace, but I never have too much for BBQ that I've had the luxury of using seasoned wood in the fireplace). I have done pretty well on one of my own trees and a couple found around my neighborhood the past year, but I need to always be adding more.

If you alert me to a spot that I wind up using, I will give you some ribs or brisket the next time I barbecue.
Always ask the home owner before you take the wood. It is just courteous.
CS78
Bunch of stuff down in belleville a couple weeks back. Probably still a lot there.

I have some of this a couple miles this side of Navasota. I think it's hickory?

cypress-ag
AG
I've wondered myself, seeing stuff stacked by the curb for Monday pickup, I've always wanted to grab some for smoker and firepit usage.
TheOC16
AG
doubledog said:

TheOC16 said:

Always ask the home owner before you take the wood. It is just courteous.

Yes I do. Of the last three, one was an abandoned house, one was public land, and the other the home owner granted me permission.

But even though I do ask, I don't think it's necessary. If it's at the curb, the city is going to pick it up and throw it away. If someone puts a sofa or pallets on the curb, it means it's open game for the first person who picks it up. Otherwise the city hauls it off.

Same with wood. When a tree service cuts your tree, they ask you where you want it. If you want to keep it you have them put it somewhere other than the curb.

But yes I still ask as a courtesy.
JP76
I could be wrong and I can't remember which city but I think one has an ordinance against scavenging. Don't think it gets enforced much but it is on the books from what I vaguely remember.
legalbird
Places like Houston can't keep up with the demand. They are weeks behind.
pattybrhg
I know of a place that has a good bit cut and stacked from about a year ago. I'm out of element as to what seasoned wood is though. Do you only want freshly cut stuff at the curb?

Is seasoned older than what I'm describing?
TheOC16
AG
pattybrhg said:

I know of a place that has a good bit cut and stacked from about a year ago. I'm out of element as to what seasoned wood is though. Do you only want freshly cut stuff at the curb?

Is seasoned older than what I'm describing?

I'm fine with seasoned wood. Though if it's cut and stacked somewhere for a year, that sounds like that's somebody's stockpile, haha.
pattybrhg
Week it sounds like they're not quite as ready to get rid of it yet as I'd thought. My apologies!
R2Fish
Parks Dept cut down an oak. As of Friday there was still some logs cut and stacked at the curb.
TheOC16
AG
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check tomorrow evening.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.