Krispy Kreme burned down [Staff Warning]

21,878 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Hornbeck
AggiePirate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This movie is going to be amazing
Horn_in_Aggieland
KBTX just reported owner was arrested for arson for being down his own store.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Owner arrested and charged with arson.
techno-ag
AG
Horn_in_Aggieland said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/08/01/owner-college-stations-burnt-down-krispy-kreme-charged-with-arson-more-than-2-months-after-fire/
b0ridi
The fenced off lot is becoming quite an eyesore... Can the city buy the property?
FlyRod
So much for my Mafia style theory of a "donut war."

Was thinking the Shipley's boss got the Dunkin' family and the Donald's Donuts family to have a sit down and set old business aside…
Justin2010
AG
It's obvious to anybody who isn't racist. White supremacists made him spray paint slurs and burn down his own store.
Horn_in_Aggieland said:

You mean this fella that sat for an interview with the city before they opened?
https://blog.cstx.gov/2019/04/12/podcast-how-krispy-kreme-finally-came-to-town/

From the interview transcript:
"But we just don't want to be here to come here and sell donuts, and we can talk more about that later, but our goal is to be integrated in the community, provide scholarships for students, donations. We want to be a part of the community. We don't just to be a donut shop that you come and get food and leave."

Something something…..aged like milk….
lawless89
Jussie Smollett syndrome has hit this town twice now.
EBrazosAg
AG
So what was the racist graffiti? Have we ever gotten a detailed description of it ? Maybe he broke and put something truly racist on the building before he burned it for the insurance to cover his note , franchise fees, or some other failed business? I'd like to hear the reasoning. My bet - we never get a real explanation and the perp never gets a sentence that would fit the crime. My main question- do we have to leave the debris in piles until the trial, or can we clean that crap up now ?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BQ_90
AG
Who owns it now? That's who should pay to clean it up?
EBrazosAg
AG
I'm pretty sure the issue of ownership is secondary to a release from the DA or court to take refuse to the landfill. It's part of a legal prosecution until it isn't. Same if you owned a vehicle or house or gun implicated in a criminal case.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Horn_in_Aggieland said:

I thought Schloss burned it down?
Animal Eight 84
AG
2020 said:

Horn_in_Aggieland said:

You mean this fella that sat for an interview with the city before they opened?
https://blog.cstx.gov/2019/04/12/podcast-how-krispy-kreme-finally-came-to-town/

Interesting podcast, watched 6 minutes of it.
His brother in law ( Travis Johnson) played for Texans thus an opportunity for financing without much scrutiny.
Each shift has 20 employees, 100 employees total just to operate a donut shop.
Yet no background in restaurant business, he worked for LA Lakers then in colleges in California.
It had to be hemorrhaging cash.
woodiewood
BQ_90 said:

If he is convicted, he or his estate should not only pay for cleanup but also for the cost of the fire and police activities

Ultimately, cleanup might have to be done by the owner of the real estate property.
woodiewood said:

BQ_90 said:

If he is convicted, he or his estate should not only pay for cleanup but also for the cost of the fire and police activities

Ultimately, cleanup might have to be done by the owner of the real estate property.

Agreed. Should pick up the ATF tab as well. This guy is incredibly fortunate to have not injured or killed someone. It's bad enough 100+ folks lost their jobs.
lethalninja
He's currently in the Harris County Jail on $200,000 bond (he was arrested in Harris County) and is facing up to twenty years in prison.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Wait, they had 100 employees there? LOL.

wtf.

Its a damn donut shop. At most they should had like 12-14 and thats if a few of them were working part time.
Another Doug
AG
I checked dude out on linkedin and fb. Long successful career, currently employed with a decent job, good looking family, two masters degrees. Throws it all away, now he will be broke, a felon, in prison, and labeled a racist hoaxer for the rest of his life.
mnuge
AG
I never saw anywhere near that many employees there. May have had entire family on payroll and they never showed up.

In fact, if I went there (which became less and less), I always noticed how small the staff was.
MarineBQ04
AG
100 employees, never saw that many different people over the times I went...I had told several people that I thought it was the owner, they all thought I was crazy at the time. My theory was based off the restaurant had had its sale tax license revoked a couple of times for not paying taxes.
BQ_90
AG
woodiewood said:

BQ_90 said:

well i'm assuming since he burned it down for the money he's broke.

I guess my point is I don't want the city spending any money on it unless they will get paid for the cleanup
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
mnuge said:

I never saw anywhere near that many employees there. May have had entire family on payroll and they never showed up.

In fact, if I went there (which became less and less), I always noticed how small the staff was.

At the risk of sounding like a fatass I probably went 2-3 times a mth. I loved the raspberry filled and apple fritters. I'd usually go inside (vs drive through) and on average I'd see 3 employees out front. Maybe there were 1-2 in back idk.

Also, on some occasions I'd see big bulk orders for teams or groups that they'd be packing out front in seating area that another 1-2 employees might be working on. So I think you're on to something as far as there being some sorta no show job scheme going on.

I just don't see any world 100 employees would be justified.
duff el pud
There were employees, and there were "employees".
PS3D
I wonder if corporate will take over like they did with the Houston locations or if it will simply remain closed.

I also wonder if when my post suggesting arson two months ago was wiped because someone knew...
taxpreparer
AG
I managed restaurants in the 70s and 80s (fast food and a steakhouse,) and never had more than thirty employees on the payroll.
techno-ag
AG
PS3D said:

I wonder if corporate will take over like they did with the Houston locations or if it will simply remain closed.

I also wonder if when my post suggesting arson two months ago was wiped because someone knew...

I doubt corporate will take over. There is no more building to take over.
tb9665
I will miss the seasonal doughnuts.
milner79
FlyRod said:

So much for my Mafia style theory of a "donut war."

Was thinking the Shipley's boss got the Dunkin' family and the Donald's Donuts family to have a sit down and set old business aside…
"I have to make arrangements for my Italian Cream Bomboloni to come back here safely. But I'm a superstitious man: If some unlucky accident should befall him, if he should slip and fall in boiling grease, if he somehow gets mangled into a cinnamon twist, if he gets mercilessly pelted by sprinkles, then I'm going to blame some of the people in this kitchen. And that I do not forgive."
PS3D
techno-ag said:

PS3D said:

I doubt corporate will take over. There is no more building to take over.
You meant that in jest but it's been gone for two months, there's very little salvageable, and most importantly, there's no land to take over. It's a leased site on the Post Oak Square parking lot so there's a good chance that they'll just try to demolish the building and market the pad site (still has drive-through, garbage, etc.) to someone else.
Belton Ag
AG
duff el pud said:

There were employees, and there were "employees".

Hopefully someone is looking into any PPP loans he might have received.
BlueMiles
AG
One of the employees told me that (at least some of) those cups of donut holes were to be sold in the coffee shops on the A&M campus.
australopithecus robustus
These things tend to trigger a cascade of investigations from multiple agencies. Once the door is opened don't be surprised to see Texas State Comptroller, IRS and maybe even FBI looking at financial practices. Could end up that there are both state and federal charges and tax liens.
woodiewood
taxpreparer said:

I managed restaurants in the 70s and 80s (fast food and a steakhouse,) and never had more than thirty employees on the payroll.

Depends on the days and hours open. I do know that Whataburger typically has about 75 employees at each store on the payroll at any one time but they are open 24/7 every day except for Christmas day.

I think that the fast foods have more employees now due to the fact that most only work 30 hours part time and few are full time employees except for managers.
Tookieclothespin
AG
I also kept saying it had to be the owner. My theory wasn't as well researched, just that the grafiti looked sus and the medians probably weren't helping a business that never seemed busy. It's too inconvenient to duck into that location on the way to the largest workplace in town (tamu duh) now.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.