CoCS exploring charging for street parking [Staff Warning 6/21/2024]

29,002 Views | 284 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by dubi
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bob Yancy said:

MeKnowNot said:

Hornbeck said:

I thought it was established that HOT money can be used to fund these types of events as far as public safety. No need to raise taxes. If we need to fund more public safety positions, find that money elsewhere than a direct tax to those of us that are already overtaxed.

I think the money spent for a large Instagram prop would cover a large portion of rookie police officer's salary. I bet selling a large anchor store at a local mall would fund several.

I have to manage my household with a 10% increase in my property taxes, 25% increase in my insurance, which equates to a $100 bump to my mortgage, when I got a 2% raise.

The city should learn to tighten their belts similarly,
Find the money elsewhere. That's a great idea!

What if the City started charging for special event parking on City streets and parking lots? No new capital required and a large part of the money collected will be from non-residents.

That was the idea. To see if it worked. I didn't realize so many park in front of their house on the street rather than their driveway.

This is not an attack.
But this mindset is likely mainly due to your own experience. You likely live in a neighborhood that likely frowns on or even has HOA rules that forbids street parking and likely has homes with large driveways and multi-car garages.

In smaller or poorer neighborhoods, there may not be room to park all cars in driveway. And I'm not talking the very poorest neighborhoods... just poorer than the higher end neighborhoods.
We have a garage that holds 2 cars and a driveway that can fit 2 cars (3 if we stack them)... but we had 3 daughters living with us each with a car (that they bought themselves).
We definitely could have fit all 5 cars in driveway, but then we'd have to play car "tetris" when someone had to leave, so we parked several on the street.

That's in a middle class neighborhood. Now think about even poorer neighborhoods where they might not be a garage or a single lane driveway.

I'm sure the mindset by the council was "well the only people parking on the street are the students who pack 4 unrelated people into a single house, so this only affects them and they don't vote"

City council needs to step out of their over-privileged bubble and actually learn about their city population and how the regular people actually live.

This is the perception the council has put forth with dumb decisions like the make residents pay for parking in front of their own house ordinance.

maroon barchetta
Very well said. Especially the part about the bubble.

And the older neighborhoods or homes that are older homes, they don't have massive driveways and garages. Older homes typically had a one-car garage and narrow driveway. People in that era had one car.

If some of the properties in that south gate area are still "vintage" and not been torn down and had an Ag Shack put in place, they park on the street out of necessity.

We also played car Tetris at my house growing up. Where we lived, there was no room to park on the street.
Bob Yancy
91_Aggie said:

Bob Yancy said:

MeKnowNot said:

Hornbeck said:

I thought it was established that HOT money can be used to fund these types of events as far as public safety. No need to raise taxes. If we need to fund more public safety positions, find that money elsewhere than a direct tax to those of us that are already overtaxed.

I think the money spent for a large Instagram prop would cover a large portion of rookie police officer's salary. I bet selling a large anchor store at a local mall would fund several.

I have to manage my household with a 10% increase in my property taxes, 25% increase in my insurance, which equates to a $100 bump to my mortgage, when I got a 2% raise.

What if the City started charging for special event parking on City streets and parking lots? No new capital required and a large part of the money collected will be from non-residents.

That was the idea. To see if it worked. I didn't realize so many park in front of their house on the street rather than their driveway.

This is not an attack.
But this mindset is likely mainly due to your own experience. You likely live in a neighborhood that likely frowns on or even has HOA rules that forbids street parking and likely has homes with large driveways and multi-car garages.

In smaller or poorer neighborhoods, there may not be room to park all cars in driveway. And I'm not talking the very poorest neighborhoods... just poorer than the higher end neighborhoods.
We have a garage that holds 2 cars and a driveway that can fit 2 cars (3 if we stack them)... but we had 3 daughters living with us each with a car (that they bought themselves).
We definitely could have fit all 5 cars in driveway, but then we'd have to play car "tetris" when someone had to leave, so we parked several on the street.

That's in a middle class neighborhood. Now think about even poorer neighborhoods where they might not be a garage or a single lane driveway.

I'm sure the mindset by the council was "well the only people parking on the street are the students who pack 4 unrelated people into a single house, so this only affects them and they don't vote"

City council needs to step out of their over-privileged bubble and actually learn about their city population and how the regular people actually live.

This is the perception the council has put forth with dumb decisions like the make residents pay for parking in front of their own house ordinance.

It's not an ordinance but a two event pilot program.

As for privilege I don't much subscribe to the concept. In 1986 I lived in HUD housing and my high school sweetheart wife stood in line for WIC. That's government cheese and government cereal through the Women, Infant and Children program. I was the first male in my family to get a bachelors degree. My Dad had an associates degree and worked in the oil patch, with the crushed fingers to prove it. With his wisdom and discipline and faith he taught the value of hard work.

My wife and I have lived and still live the American dream, and we fought tooth and nail for it. So when you talk about privilege on council it makes me realize how presumptive folks can be.

College professors, school teachers, paint contractors- hard working citizens just like you- volunteering. There's no caste system at work.

I wish the folks who think this policy was so misguided knew why it was tried, what our thought process was and heard the debate. Moreover, I wish the same folks so intractably certain this was a bad test program had showed up at council or called or emailed and explained their thinking- as opposed to assuming the worst about folks.

My $.02

-yancy
whoop1995
AG

I wish the folks who think this policy was so misguided knew why it was tried, what our thought process was and heard the debate. Moreover, I wish the same folks so intractably certain this was a bad test program had showed up at council or called or emailed and explained their thinking- as opposed to assuming the worst about folks.

My $.02

-yancy

Bob,
We have been asking why it was tried, we have been asking specific questions like how much was the cost of personnel to cover the game all to no avail or met with " I don't know how much HOT money or estimated sales tax" or just silence. We established that HOT money could be used to cover event cost but then the story kept going. There have been no clear costs laid out and now the story has changed in my mind from reading your comments and reading through some, from covering the cost of personnel for the game only "all hands on deck" to we need multiple officers all the time. We have given you a forum to inform the public about this issue in depth and I would think that a forum such as this would be a great place to explain this issue just as you shoot off fireworks when a "win" is touted.

Please tell us how much advance notice was given out so that people may have attended this meeting on 4/25 for this specific issue? And why wouldn't be covered on the website other than in the minutes as an idea and not we are going through with this thing so buckle up. And how would find out more about what y'all talk about - are the meeting taped? It's almost like the opinions on here do not matter since we didn't attend the meeting and you really do not want to defend it now that questions are being asked of the plan. The questions have started here on 4/29.

Come on Bob be on the level. …….

Edit to add.: if you wished anyone of us was there - Does any of this change your mind on the issue? People can't park on the street in front of their house, have yard work done, appliances delivered, repairs to air conditioners, friends or family over for the games, etc….
I collect ticket stubs! looking for a 1944 orange bowl and 1981 independence bowl ticket stub as well as Aggie vs tu stubs - 1926 and below, 1935-1937, 1939-1944, 1946-1948, 1950-1951, 1953, 1956-1957, 1959, 1960, 1963-1966, 1969-1970, 1972-1974, 1980-1981, 1983-1984, 1990, 2004, 2008, 2010
maroon barchetta
91_Aggie
AG
Bob Yancy said:

91_Aggie said:

Bob Yancy said:

MeKnowNot said:

Hornbeck said:

This is not an attack.

As for privilege I don't much subscribe to the concept. In 1986 I lived in HUD housing and my high school sweetheart wife stood in line for WIC. That's government cheese and government cereal through the Women, Infant and Children program. I was the first male in my family to get a bachelors degree. My Dad had an associates degree and worked in the oil patch, with the crushed fingers to prove it. With his wisdom and discipline and faith he taught the value of hard work.

My wife and I have lived and still live the American dream, and we fought tooth and nail for it. So when you talk about privilege on council it makes me realize how presumptive folks can be.

College professors, school teachers, paint contractors- hard working citizens just like you- volunteering. There's no caste system at work.

My $.02

-yancy

The presumption and perception came from your statement of "I didn't realize so many park in front of their house on the street rather than their driveway"

That sounded very "out of touch" and also sounded like no real research was done on how it would affect those who lived in those areas. What I took from that statement was "People who live in my neighborhood don't park on street so this shouldn't affect very many... oh and since that is my personal observation it must be true so let's not even research... we can't wait because we have these two big events and this money-grab will be.missed if we delay"

AggieBaseball06
AG
https://www.cstx.gov/departments___city_hall/pubcomm/channel_19

I can't link to the actual video but if you scroll back to the April 25 city council meeting, there is video and the discussion of it starts around the 1 hour and 20 minute mark.

My personal highlight of the discussion is when the city representative makes sure to point out that it's illegal for residents in that neighborhood (or any part of CS) to charge for parking on their private property in the midst of discussing why the city charging for parking (including those who live in that neighborhood) is a great idea.

Mr. Yancy-

Serious question here as I'm unfamiliar with the ins and outs of CC meetings. It was made pretty clear during that discussion that that meeting was the first time the public could have heard about this plan. It also seems, to me, like there was no chance at the end of the discussion for citizens to speak up. When would the appropriate time have been for someone to raise an objection at that meeting if this was their first time hearing about it?
Hornbeck
AG
I started this thread the very next day after reading accounts from several news outlets, KBTX, WTAW, the Eagle, etc.

Now, I'll admit, my distrust of government as a whole led to my tongue in cheek observations, but reading between the lines, I thought this was a colossal bad idea.
techno-ag
AG
This is why the perception exists that it's a bad idea:

1. The city charges for parking including residents while denying residents the right to charge for parking on their property.

2. City council members apparently do not live in the neighborhoods they wish to impose the new regulations. City council members and their guests can still park in front of their houses for free and thus avoid the consequences of this new regulation.

3. The city claims the forced payment for parking on public streets in residential areas is necessary for dubious reasons.

The above three statements have led to the discontent seen here. Right or wrong, the city has generated negative PR for what is essentially a money grab.
Bob Yancy
91_Aggie said:

Bob Yancy said:

91_Aggie said:

Bob Yancy said:

MeKnowNot said:

Hornbeck said:

This is not an attack.

My $.02

-yancy

The presumption and perception came from your statement of "I didn't realize so many park in front of their house on the street rather than their driveway"

That sounded very "out of touch" and also sounded like no real research was done on how it would affect those who lived in those areas. What I took from that statement was "People who live in my neighborhood don't park on street so this shouldn't affect very many... oh and since that is my personal observation it must be true so let's not even research... we can't wait because we have these two big events and this money-grab will be.missed if we delay"

Thanks for the feedback. I did do some research but mainly I was told unrelated visitors are parking in front of peoples' homes routinely in the area. In the council meeting video you'll see I discuss it in detail as a way to deter that and/or capture revenue from out of town visitors parking on city streets in our neighborhoods. Now I'm being informed that it's residents that use those spaces, so I guess it's a combination of the two.
techno-ag
AG
I think some measure at appealing to residents in the affected areas would go a long way. Two free hang tags per event or something.
Bob Yancy
AggieBaseball06 said:

I can't link to the actual video but if you scroll back to the April 25 city council meeting, there is video and the discussion of it starts around the 1 hour and 20 minute mark.

My personal highlight of the discussion is when the city representative makes sure to point out that it's illegal for residents in that neighborhood (or any part of CS) to charge for parking on their private property in the midst of discussing why the city charging for parking (including those who live in that neighborhood) is a great idea.

Mr. Yancy-

Serious question here as I'm unfamiliar with the ins and outs of CC meetings. It was made pretty clear during that discussion that that meeting was the first time the public could have heard about this plan. It also seems, to me, like there was no chance at the end of the discussion for citizens to speak up. When would the appropriate time have been for someone to raise an objection at that meeting if this was their first time hearing about it?

At "Hear Visitors" at the beginning of the meeting. But, had you signed up, mayor probably would've asked you to wait until that agenda item came up so we could interact with you and answer questions and ask you questions- which we're not allowed to do during Hear Visitors (again, thanks state legislature.)

It's one of the most concerning things about being on council is folks coming before us during Hear Visitors expressing concerns and we can't respond. A warped law.

The best way to be heard and interact is to a) scan the agenda, b) if you see something important to you, sign up online to speak. You get 3 minutes but mayor waives that limit often. If you represent a group of people you get 10 minutes. You can bring a slide deck or any supportive materials.

Had a couple of folks shown up in opposition, I'm thinking 80% we would not have proceeded, but I could be wrong.

That notwithstanding I'm not blaming anyone for not showing up. I stand by the decision to test it for two events. I also now hear clearly those opposed.

Back to Aggie baseball!

AggieBaseball06
AG
Bob Yancy said:

AggieBaseball06 said:

Mr. Yancy-

At "Hear Visitors" at the beginning of the meeting. But, had you signed up, mayor probably would've asked you to wait until that agenda item came up so we could interact with you and answer questions and ask you questions- which we're not allowed to do during Hear Visitors (again, thanks state legislature.)

It's one of the most concerning things about being on council is folks coming before us during Hear Visitors expressing concerns and we can't respond. A warped law.

The best way to be heard and interact is to a) scan the agenda, b) if you see something important to you, sign up online to speak. You get 3 minutes but mayor waives that limit often. If you represent a group of people you get 10 minutes. You can bring a slide deck or any supportive materials.

Had a couple of folks shown up in opposition, I'm thinking 80% we would not have proceeded, but I could be wrong.

That notwithstanding I'm not blaming anyone for not showing up. I stand by the decision to test it for two events. I also now hear clearly those opposed.

Back to Aggie baseball!

Thank you for the reply late on a Sunday night.
birdman
I don't care if it is "pilot program". Pilot program means the govt has already decided this is a permanent program but have to slowly implement it to skirt some rules.

It is blatant money grab from City of College Station. That's it. Period. It has nothing to do with safety, traffic flow, or anything else. CoCS sees a chance to grab some money and they want it.

Now the residents of the neighborhoods aren't very smart. College Station overreaches and decides that you can't charge for $20 for parking? Just get creative. Charge $20 for bottle of water. Folks are allowed to park at your house while they drink it. They can also have the water "to go".
maroon barchetta
91_Aggie
AG
wait! will the city not allow residents to charge people to park in their driveways?
Hornbeck
AG
91_Aggie said:

wait! will the city not allow residents to charge people to park in their driveways?

Yes. That was established. The city vigorously goes after folks who do this, but figures it's okay for them to do so.
whoop1995
AG
birdman said:

I don't care if it is "pilot program". Pilot program means the govt has already decided this is a permanent program but have to slowly implement it to skirt some rules.

It is blatant money grab from City of College Station. That's it. Period. It has nothing to do with safety, traffic flow, or anything else. CoCS sees a chance to grab some money and they want it.

Now the residents of the neighborhoods aren't very smart. College Station overreaches and decides that you can't charge for $20 for parking? Just get creative. Charge $20 for bottle of water. Folks are allowed to park at your house while they drink it. They can also have the water "to go".
It's a "donation" or a tip.
I collect ticket stubs! looking for a 1944 orange bowl and 1981 independence bowl ticket stub as well as Aggie vs tu stubs - 1926 and below, 1935-1937, 1939-1944, 1946-1948, 1950-1951, 1953, 1956-1957, 1959, 1960, 1963-1966, 1969-1970, 1972-1974, 1980-1981, 1983-1984, 1990, 2004, 2008, 2010
Deej
AG
Looks like charging opened a whole new can of worms. People scamming people with parking charges. Put up signs saying pay for parking and someone then takes advantage
maroon barchetta
Deej said:

Looks like charging opened a whole new can of worms. People scamming people with parking charges. Put up signs saying pay for parking and someone then takes advantage

I'm shocked.
woodiewood
It would be interesting to see what the average visitor to the soccer event spent and subsequently paid sales taxes in our town on the Fri/Sat versus the sales taxes paid on a typical non-event period Fri/Sat.....HOT tax, sales tax at restaurants, at Kyle field, at the stores around town. etc., etc. etc. I suspect the increase in tax receipts collected over the Friday/Sat soccer game duration more than covered 100X over any additional cost that the city incurred.

whoop1995
AG
woodiewood said:

It would be interesting to see what the average visitor to the soccer event spent and subsequently paid sales taxes in our town on the Fri/Sat versus the sales taxes paid on a typical non-event period Fri/Sat.....HOT tax, sales tax at restaurants, at Kyle field, at the stores around town. etc., etc. etc. I suspect the increase in tax receipts collected over the Friday/Sat soccer game duration more than covered 100X over any additional cost that the city incurred.

Don't forget the extra baseball games as well - I will take a stab at your math problem

Approximately 7000+ rooms in college station for rent at average $300 per night times x 7% tax = $147,000 per night.

Sales tax on goods = 1.5% average person spending $150 on food, drink, parking, gas at 110k people for George and 90k for soccer

$247,500 for George at $150 per person
$202,500 for soccer at $150 per person

This doesn't include any ticket tax revenue for the city nor does it include baseball people or police tickets, fines, fees or parking at already established places like north gate or Vrbo tax, so basically for two nights rough gross income for city would be $744,000. I think my number is light though.

Now you could argue that each person didn't spend $150 in just college station or whatever if you take a more conservative approach it would still be $500k but in October of last year the city of college station made approx 1.2 million on hot tax from 13 million in hotel sales. That is just in one month last year.
https://www.kbtx.com/2023/11/30/bryan-college-station-see-record-hotel-revenue-october/
The numbers will be out in a couple of weeks.

I can't believe that this city complains about the university when the university makes money for them.
maroon barchetta
"But city hall maintenance is expensive"
Big Al 1992
AG
Our students live in historic district. Game days are fun as we arrive early to park on the curb close to their house - we are bringing food, coolers, typical GameDay items to enjoy at their house. Hopefully we are there early enough we don't have to walk and carry groceries for several blocks. Call it a perk that they pay rent higher than most other places because of their proximity to Kyle Field and we can walk to campus from there. The kids also park on the street as there are only 2 parking spots for 4 people.
It was ridiculous at GS. Signs were everywhere, some not noticeable, and some had been taken down or moved. How do you police against that when you are parking legally on the correct side of the street and are allowed to park there 164 hours of the 168 hours in a week, but are forced to move or pay for those GameDay situations. Friends and family are now supposed to pay in front of their student's home. And what if you park and the sign is obstructed or moved - ticket or tow?
Bad policy all the way around.
dubi
AG
There were a lot of missing parking signs probably chunked in the trash. Also once 1 car parks next to the sign it is now obscured and the other drivers from out of town don't know they are suppose to pay.

I know signs were in the designated "utility" easement on Pershing and that is definitely not utility related at all.

I guess the city now needs to find a way to place the signs in the street they stole from the homeowners. To be fair, no one in the entire city of CS should be able to park on their street without paying. Our a**hole city officials who voted for this need to all be booted out.

Hornbeck
AG
So, what you guys are saying is that the new parking pilot program did nothing to alleviate the congestion that it was designed to fix?

<insert shocked face Pikachu>

Say it ain't so!
maroon barchetta
If my earlier post in this thread is any indication, your post will have one of them claim in a month that they are "just now seeing this" while floating out weak excuses and deflections and ultimately blaming the state legislature for not allowing cities to blow money however they see fit.
Bob Yancy
maroon barchetta said:

If my earlier post in this thread is any indication, your post will have one of them claim in a month that they are "just now seeing this" while floating out weak excuses and deflections and ultimately blaming the state legislature for not allowing cities to blow money however they see fit.

Still waiting on the neighborhood association folks to weigh in. Last word, in response to my direct request, was they have no position at this time. You would think something reacted to so viscerally by those on this thread, would've engendered a similar response from those that actually live there.

I await their reasoned, civil, intellectual response and will act accordingly.

-yancy

trouble
AG
dubi actually lives there, btw
Bob Yancy
maroon barchetta said:

trouble said:

dubi actually lives there, btw

She's only stated that three or so times on this thread. Get out of here with your facts.

I heard her comments and I thought she made some important suggestions.
maroon barchetta
Bob Yancy said:

maroon barchetta said:

Still waiting on the neighborhood association folks to weigh in. Last word, in response to my direct request, was they have no position at this time. You would think something reacted to so viscerally by those on this thread, would've engendered a similar response from those that actually live there.

-yancy

My post was factual and civil and intellectual. You waited a full month to respond to me calling for your response the first time.

Your response just now is worded to appear "above the fray" but is little more than a thinly veiled personal attack. It's your tactic when you don't like logic and facts counter to your position, and we all recognize it for what it is.

You absolutely blamed the state legislature for how they deem cities can spend certain monies. At least twice. Instead of getting a handle on spending, you blamed the very fiscal existence that your constituents must live by, as they can't just money grab from other people when they budget poorly.

Those same constituents are also blamed for not hanging around the city hall prior to a council meeting to sign up for the time when they should have spoken on an issue that wasn't publicized well ahead of time for them to know it would be discussed and for them to sign up to speak.

I applaud you for ever coming to this forum to engage with the forum members, and you said the right things often in the beginning, but the actions don't match the words.

Blame the state for not letting the city throw money around.

Blame the citizens for speaking out against an issue they didn't know was about to exist.

Blame past councils for bad "investments", even as recently as the past week in the KBTX piece on the Macy's issue.

And now that the overwhelming majority of responses on this forum have been "the Southside parking plan is nothing more than a money grab", within the past hour we see the reply of "well, we need to hear from people that live there". Hearing it from everyone else that posts here isn't enough. Now we need just the people that live there.

Except for the very active poster on this forum that actually lives there and has spoken out against it. Evidently her opinion has not been respectfully recognized by any council members.

This isn't a personal attack. It's not me telling you what you think, as you falsely claimed earlier in the thread. These are observations of how this issue has been handled and the responses about that process.

Don't go cry to Moderation asking for my post to be pulled as if this is the council's version of Pravda to edit on the fly. These are the facts. And they are undisputed.

Bob, if council will spend within their means, this all goes away. Y'all aren't the federal government. Y'all can't write zillions in hot checks every year or print more money.

To think that former Senator Phil Gramm, who proposed a constitutional amendment to always have a balanced budget, used to work across the street from city hall is kinda ironic.
Bob Yancy
maroon barchetta said:

Bob Yancy said:

maroon barchetta said:

-yancy

My post was factual and civil and intellectual. You waited a full month to respond to me calling for your response the first time.

Your response just now is worded to appear "above the fray" but is little more than a thinly veiled personal attack. It's your tactic when you don't like logic and facts counter to your position, and we all recognize it for what it is.

You absolutely blamed the state legislature for how they deem cities can spend certain monies. At least twice. Instead of getting a handle on spending, you blamed the very fiscal existence that your constituents must live by, as they can't just money grab from other people when they budget poorly.

Those same constituents are also blamed for not hanging around the city hall prior to a council meeting to sign up for the time when they should have spoken on an issue that wasn't publicized well ahead of time for them to know it would be discussed and for them to sign up to speak.

I applaud you for ever coming to this forum to engage with the forum members, and you said the right things often in the beginning, but the actions don't match the words.

Blame the citizens for speaking out against an issue they didn't know was about to exist.

Blame past councils for bad "investments", even as recently as the past week in the KBTX piece on the Macy's issue.

And now that the overwhelming majority of responses on this forum have been "the Southside parking plan is nothing more than a money grab", within the past hour we see the reply of "well, we need to hear from people that live there". Hearing it from everyone else that posts here isn't enough. Now we need just the people that live there.

Except for the very active poster on this forum that actually lives there and has spoken out against it. Evidently her opinion has not been respectfully recognized by any council members.

This isn't a personal attack. It's not me telling you what you think, as you falsely claimed earlier in the thread. These are observations of how this issue has been handled and the responses about that process.

Don't go cry to Moderation asking for my post to be pulled as if this is the council's version of Pravda to edit on the fly. These are the facts. And they are undisputed.

Bob, if council will spend within their means, this all goes away. Y'all aren't the federal government. Y'all can't write zillions in hot checks every year or print more money.

To think that former Senator Phil Gramm, who proposed a constitutional amendment to always have a balanced budget, used to work across the street from city hall is kinda ironic.

There's so much to unpack in all that I'm not going to try right now- but I do have a question I've asked before…

How do I know when you ask me a question here? You said I waited a month- I'm telling you I didn't see it. How do I use this platform to better see when folks ask me a question?

Please advise
hopeandrealchange
Bob Yancy said:

maroon barchetta said:

Bob Yancy said:

maroon barchetta said:

-yancy

There's so much to unpack in all that I'm not going to try right now- but I do have a question I've asked before…

How do I know when you ask me a question here? You said I waited a month- I'm telling you I didn't see it. How do I use this platform to better see when folks ask me a question?

Please advise

I have a question.
If you have guests come visit you and they have to park on the street at your home do you pay their parking or do you ask your guests to pay?
maroon barchetta
You would know because you should monitor threads on city topics like you have been doing since you joined the forum. Not just the easy topics like "we made money on a land deal this time".

Whether you missed it or delayed responding is something only you know. The optics appear to be the latter in this case because supplying a response that would satisfy most participants on the thread wasn't going to be achievable at that point in time.
Bob Yancy
hopeandrealchange said:

Bob Yancy said:

maroon barchetta said:

Bob Yancy said:

maroon barchetta said:

-yancy

Please advise

I have a question.
If you have guests come visit you and they have to park on the street at your home do you pay their parking or do you ask your guests to pay?

I've never been in that situation. I don't live across the street from the site of the largest concert venue in US history, nor the largest university campus in the United States. If I did, and parking was free on the street in front of my house, and people constantly parked there during events, I imagine I couldn't guarantee family or guests could be guaranteed a spot unless a) my driveway was big enough or b) they arrived early enough. It'd probably always be a logistical challenge of some sort.

Then, in an effort to offset public safety costs and manage parking, if my city decided to test a pay to park plan over two events, I might petition the city to exempt my family and I in some way because it's right in front of my house. If, for legal reasons my city couldn't exempt me, I suppose I'd ask them not to do any such program at all and strangers would continue parking in front of my house- for free.

I went through this exercise before deciding to agree to the two event pilot program. But it's helpful to do so again.

Respectfully submitted-

-yancy

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.