CoCS exploring charging for street parking [Staff Warning 6/21/2024]

28,993 Views | 284 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by dubi
kraut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Stupe said:

dubi said:

Bob Yancy said:

Deej said:

Yes Bob that is incorrect for many of us. I have lived in the area 30 years. There are people who park and walk but many are families of students who live there. For years I hosted old roommates and classmates as well as family. We would eat visit and walk to the games. My yard guy normally comes on Saturday even during football games, now we will have to make alternate plans those days. This is purely a revenue grab cleverly disguised by staff, that you all bought hook line and sinker.

Setting accusations aside for a moment, would you be in support of this policy if every homeowner in the affected area received two mirror tags exempting them from a parking fee? Please advise.

I think it should be 1 tag per bedroom.
Per bedroom?

So a house that has three bedrooms but only two cars would then get three tags?

That would give them their driveway plus three spots on the road?

I think that residents should get tags, but they should get one for each vehicle and a guest tag.

It's not as if their driveways are going to all of the sudden be unusable.

Per bedroom in the case of unrelated renters each using a bedroom and having a car.
Single family homes are supposed to be able to provide a parking spot per bedroom off-street anyway, regardless if the property is owner-occupied or rental. Garage space counts towards that requirement whether there's space in the garage for a vehicle or if its currently used as storage or a workshop.

I think 2 on-street passes per home would be fair and would show the neighborhoods that this isn't all about the parking revenue.
maroon barchetta
Except it is all about the revenue.
MeKnowNot
maroon barchetta said:

Except it is all about the revenue.
I agree, but I also like the idea that a majority of this revenue will be coming from non-residents. Much better than additional fees added to our utility bills.

$7.00 Electric Service Charge
$7.00 Drainage Utility Fee
$9.75 Roadway Maintenance Fee
$10.00 Major Event Host Fee
$25.00 Convention Center Fee

Deej
AG
Except this neighborhood has older homes many with no garage. Driveways are shorter. For example my house is 73 years old, no garage and limited driveway.
AggiePhil
AG
techno-ag said:

Second, if CoSta is indeed short of officers, who will be writing all those parking tickets for cars flouncing the new parking tax/fee?

The company, not officers. That's the whole point.
techno-ag
AG
AggiePhil said:

techno-ag said:

Second, if CoSta is indeed short of officers, who will be writing all those parking tickets for cars flouncing the new parking tax/fee?

OIC. It's like red light cameras then.
AggieBaseball06
AG
AggiePhil said:

techno-ag said:

ParkMobile doesn't have employees in CS. It's still up to CS Parking Enforcement to write the tickets.
Koko Chingo
AG
Bob Yancy said:

You have never groaned at the prospect of working on your day off, spending time away from your family? Haven't we all? I never said our police officers weren't motivated to continue protecting you and your family while risking their lives- daily. They just need some help.

The millions brought in from local events goes directly to restaurants, hotels, gas stations, bars, etc, right? A lot goes to TAMU from ticket sales and… parking fees. Your city hall benefits too from sales taxes and hotel tax.

I've posted on this thread previously and will repeat it: the state of Texas, in my opinion, unreasonably constrains how your city can spend its tax revenue. This is an oversimplification but there is one bucket of money for building things and one bucket for running things. Your city hall can't mix the two. Our budget for building things is flush, our budget for running things is tight.

I advocate for a convention center because the inescapable conclusion is we need one. I also advocate for a private sector partnership in both building it and running it due to O&M constraints cited above.

Have a good day.

Mr. Yancy,

I understand the issue with the state. Why not go on the offensive to the right people versus compalin about the state. I would believe CS is not the only city who would like a rule change. Partner with other cities and create a marketing campaign to the citizens. Compel us residents to reach out to our state representatives. If their incumbency is on the line they will do something. Look at what CS ISD just pulled off with its bond campaign. Grassroots can work in these types of matters.

Over the years, I have groaned plenty and there were probably times it was warranted and other times I should have sucked it up and got to work.

I believe both of us are veterans who were enlisted. I am sure we have both groaned while buffing floors and groaned while stuck doing a menial task on a Friday night versus going out or being home. Not sure about you but I have missed months being away from family.

I know exactly what it means to groan and be motivated. I actually think its a normal part of some workplaces like the military and even some police departments. I am just a regular resident.

I believe as a councilman you have to be careful. Your words have consequences beyond that of a You are responsible for implementing a corrective action if necessary. I would think a police force that does their work begrudgingly would be more likely to break rules and not uphold standards. So how do you know they groan? Are you doing to bring this up to the council and Chief of Police?

I am not expecting a response to the paragraph above. Its an example of the fact that you are in an elevated position being on the City Council. Your words have more impact on things regarding city business that that of a private citizen.

When you make a post, we take your word as your official position for the city. I understand an internet forum is not the best way to communicate. I can't look you in the eye and ask for clarification and vice versa.

You stick your neck out here and do not have to; I respect that. I was also getting frustrated with you. i already have a mistrust for politicians. And I perceive some of your posts on this particular thread and past threads to be contradictory. I saw this as starting to go in the direction of (now A&M President) General Welsh saying, "… morale is pretty darn good. They're a little tired … " to the armed services committee years ago.

I can also see that you have gotten frustrated with me - based on the fact the staff had to edit your response.

It takes a lot to offend me. Even if you called me a profanity I wouldn't have been offended. I can take the heat. We have had a very good dialogue on this topic and we do not need to get the thread locked.

[There was not any name calling or profanity or personal insults used by Mr. Yancy and he did not violate any of our standards on this board. - Staff]

I do not believe we have ever met in person. If we do I will introduce myself as the A-Hole from TexAgs (unless someone else beat me to it). I think we know we have differing opinions on some things. I also know that we could have a civil conversations face to face. Communications via internet is not great.

While we disagree on some things - please continue to post and encourage other members of the council to do the same.
TChaney
[If your first post attempt was made like this post you would not have had to make a second attempt on this thread. There is a clear warning at the top of this thread about post removals and bans and if you had paid attention to that and made your post without the comment about moderation it would still be on the board and you would would not have had your posting ability removed.

This thread will stay respectful and on topic and we are going to moderate it strictly to ensure that. We are not going to let the vocal few that do not like the moderation ruin this thread for the majority that are using the voting function. -Staff]
Bob Yancy
Koko Chingo said:

Bob Yancy said:

You have never groaned at the prospect of working on your day off, spending time away from your family? Haven't we all? I never said our police officers weren't motivated to continue protecting you and your family while risking their lives- daily. They just need some help.

The millions brought in from local events goes directly to restaurants, hotels, gas stations, bars, etc, right? A lot goes to TAMU from ticket sales and… parking fees. Your city hall benefits too from sales taxes and hotel tax.

I've posted on this thread previously and will repeat it: the state of Texas, in my opinion, unreasonably constrains how your city can spend its tax revenue. This is an oversimplification but there is one bucket of money for building things and one bucket for running things. Your city hall can't mix the two. Our budget for building things is flush, our budget for running things is tight.

I advocate for a convention center because the inescapable conclusion is we need one. I also advocate for a private sector partnership in both building it and running it due to O&M constraints cited above.

Have a good day.

Mr. Yancy,

I understand the issue with the state. Why not go on the offensive to the right people versus compalin about the state. I would believe CS is not the only city who would like a rule change. Partner with other cities and create a marketing campaign to the citizens. Compel us residents to reach out to our state representatives. If their incumbency is on the line they will do something. Look at what CS ISD just pulled off with its bond campaign. Grassroots can work in these types of matters.

Over the years, I have groaned plenty and there were probably times it was warranted and other times I should have sucked it up and got to work.

I believe both of us are veterans who were enlisted. I am sure we have both groaned while buffing floors and groaned while stuck doing a menial task on a Friday night versus going out or being home. Not sure about you but I have missed months being away from family.

I know exactly what it means to groan and be motivated. I actually think its a normal part of some workplaces like the military and even some police departments. I am just a regular resident.

I believe as a councilman you have to be careful. Your words have consequences beyond that of a You are responsible for implementing a corrective action if necessary. I would think a police force that does their work begrudgingly would be more likely to break rules and not uphold standards. So how do you know they groan? Are you doing to bring this up to the council and Chief of Police?

I am not expecting a response to the paragraph above. Its an example of the fact that you are in an elevated position being on the City Council. Your words have more impact on things regarding city business that that of a private citizen.

When you make a post, we take your word as your official position for the city. I understand an internet forum is not the best way to communicate. I can't look you in the eye and ask for clarification and vice versa.

You stick your neck out here and do not have to; I respect that. I was also getting frustrated with you. i already have a mistrust for politicians. And I perceive some of your posts on this particular thread and past threads to be contradictory. I saw this as starting to go in the direction of (now A&M President) General Welsh saying, "… morale is pretty darn good. They're a little tired … " to the armed services committee years ago.

I can also see that you have gotten frustrated with me - based on the fact the staff had to edit your response.

It takes a lot to offend me. Even if you called me a profanity I wouldn't have been offended. I can take the heat. We have had a very good dialogue on this topic and we do not need to get the thread locked.

[There was not any name calling or profanity or personal insults used by Mr. Yancy and he did not violate any of our standards on this board. - Staff]

I do not believe we have ever met in person. If we do I will introduce myself as the A-Hole from TexAgs (unless someone else beat me to it). I think we know we have differing opinions on some things. I also know that we could have a civil conversations face to face. Communications via internet is not great.

While we disagree on some things - please continue to post and encourage other members of the council to do the same.

Thanks for the post. Groan was my word, because you are right I did plenty of extra duty away from family as an enlisted man. I was Air Force, but I believe the Army calls it "the good soldier's right to bi**h (complain). That's what I was referring to. I've never heard a CSPD officer complain about the job.

Thanks for your counsel on my comments. I'll endeavor to do better. At the end of the day we are who we are, but I'll try to do better.

As for the state legislature, bringing it to light whenever I can is but one chapter in the campaign book that you describe. I assure you, I don't just pursue the matter on this platform.

Have a great day. Respectfully,

-yancy
Hornbeck
AG
This is the red light cameras all over again.

If they push it through, which I believe it probably will, I've said this for months, it will take a grass roots effort to reverse it, and the city will have to settle with the private company again, if they locked themselves into a lengthy contract, just like the red light cameras.

This is not Boston, New York, or Philedelphia, (all places that charge for street parking in residential neighborhoods), this is College Station…
AggieBaseball06
AG
Hornbeck said:

This is the red light cameras all over again.

If they push it through, which I believe it probably will, I've said this for months, it will take a grass roots effort to reverse it, and the city will have to settle with the private company again, if they locked themselves into a lengthy contract, just like the red light cameras.

This is not Boston, New York, or Philedelphia, (all places that charge for street parking in residential neighborhoods), this is Collegs Station…

I am 100% opposed to this by the city. So I'm not defending them but I am somewhat familiar with ParkMobile

The city already uses PM for their parking management around Northgate so they are just expanding their business with PM. Also, you can, for lack of a better term, just let a parking zone go dormant with PM by not accepting payments for that zone so if the city decides to not go through with this, there is a pretty easy out for them. Finally, all of the fees that PM takes are based on transactions so if the city deactivated those spots, there would be no transactions and therefore no money owed to PM.

While I don't support this move by the city, it wouldn't become the same disaster that the red light cameras were.
Stupe
S
Quote:

While I don't support this move by the city, it wouldn't become the same disaster that the red light cameras were.
I got a ticket from ParkMobile because an attendant looked at the wrong space.

After dealing with them to get it fixed, I would rather deal with the red light camera company.
woodiewood
I walked around Brison Park this morning early and saw no signs. Are they going to put them up after people park and expect people to know that they will be fined if they haven't paid?
maroon barchetta
dubi
AG
woodiewood said:

I walked around Brison Park this morning early and saw no signs. Are they going to put them up after people park and expect people to know that they will be fined if they haven't paid?

There is no way these tickets will hold up in court.

The city has no way to prove they notified the occupants of the home.

Also the PDF produced by the city that shows the parking spots says "free parking" on the page that has 1,390 spots. The other 3 pages have a legend that says both paid and free parking.
So when they come to ticket me tonight I will produce the cities own document.
maroon barchetta
Please do this and report back.
dubi
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Please do this and report back.

I intend to video the encounter.
woodiewood
I just walked around again and still no signs. There are already a number of cars parked on the streets.

I don't know how they can fine a visitor, family member, resident guest who lives out of town and parks on a block that allows parking as policy and goes to campus, Northgate, MSC bookstore, etc. before the ballgame and then goes to the game at 11am The city;s justification is that they put the notices on their website?

I go to other cities and I have never checked the city website to see if they have changed the street parking rules.

Bob, you sure need to be prepared for a lot of calls and grief to the city come Monday.

Bob Yancy
woodiewood said:

I just walked around again and still no signs. There are already a number of cars parked on the streets.

I don't know how they can fine a visitor, family member, resident guest who lives out of town and parks on a block that allows parking as policy and goes to campus, Northgate, MSC bookstore, etc. before the ballgame and then goes to the game at 11am The city;s justification is that they put the notices on their website?

I go to other cities and I have never checked the city website to see if they have changed the street parking rules.

Bob, you sure need to be prepared for a lot of calls and grief to the city come Monday.

This event and George Strait. That's all that's approved and we'll have to analyze how it went. If there's any desire to move forward as policy, it'll require a regular agenda item with a public hearing. I've heard the feedback clearly to this point. None of it positive. It's a representative position, city council. Y'all are the boss.

Maybe we can shift resources with what we've got to bolster public safety funding, but analysis of employee count in other departments, budgets and expenditures don't jump out at me. Don't want to ask the citizens for a tax increase, even if it's a dedicated public safety increase of 2 or 3 cents. I don't know what to do yet but keep on working the problem.

Respectfully yours,

-yancy
woodiewood1
Bob Yancy said:

woodiewood said:

This event and George Strait. That's all that's approved and we'll have to analyze how it went. If there's any desire to move forward as policy, it'll require a regular agenda item with a public hearing. I've heard the feedback clearly to this point. None of it positive. It's a representative position, city council. Y'all are the boss.

Maybe we can shift resources with what we've got to bolster public safety funding, but analysis of employee count in other departments, budgets and expenditures don't jump out at me. Don't want to ask the citizens for a tax increase, even if it's a dedicated public safety increase of 2 or 3 cents. I don't know what to do yet but keep on working the problem.

Respectfully yours,

-yancy
if there is an increase off budget expense for public safety expenses for special events such as there two, football games, and other events such as parades, etc. A better solution is to add 10 cents to the road tax. With 48,000 households in CS, that would bring in about $57,000 annually towards the extra event costs? Appreciate you participating in these discussions.
Hornbeck
AG
I thought it was established that HOT money can be used to fund these types of events as far as public safety. No need to raise taxes. If we need to fund more public safety positions, find that money elsewhere than a direct tax to those of us that are already overtaxed.

I think the money spent for a large Instagram prop would cover a large portion of rookie police officer's salary. I bet selling a large anchor store at a local mall would fund several.

I have to manage my household with a 10% increase in my property taxes, 25% increase in my insurance, which equates to a $100 bump to my mortgage, when I got a 2% raise.

The city should learn to tighten their belts similarly,
MeKnowNot
Hornbeck said:

I thought it was established that HOT money can be used to fund these types of events as far as public safety. No need to raise taxes. If we need to fund more public safety positions, find that money elsewhere than a direct tax to those of us that are already overtaxed.

I think the money spent for a large Instagram prop would cover a large portion of rookie police officer's salary. I bet selling a large anchor store at a local mall would fund several.

I have to manage my household with a 10% increase in my property taxes, 25% increase in my insurance, which equates to a $100 bump to my mortgage, when I got a 2% raise.

Find the money elsewhere. That's a great idea!

What if the City started charging for special event parking on City streets and parking lots? No new capital required and a large part of the money collected will be from non-residents.

dubi
AG
The ParkMobile signs are in the utility easement in yards; is that a valid use of the easement?
techno-ag
AG
Hornbeck said:

One thought might be to charge city employees to park at city hall. That's a fair and equitable idea.
maroon barchetta
They wanted that prime real estate for City Hall so they could be seen across from the big school.

They can have employees pay to park just like the big school does to its employees.

And make a couple of spots pay-by-the-hour to park and take pictures on the Instagram prop. That thing that has been written up in multiple publications as a tremendous boon to the area can surely carry its own weight and generate some revenue.
Hornbeck
AG
techno-ag said:

Hornbeck said:

One thought might be to charge city employees to park at city hall. That's a fair and equitable idea.

There's an idea I can get behind!
Bob Yancy
MeKnowNot said:

Hornbeck said:

Find the money elsewhere. That's a great idea!

What if the City started charging for special event parking on City streets and parking lots? No new capital required and a large part of the money collected will be from non-residents.

That was the idea. To see if it worked. I didn't realize so many park in front of their house on the street rather than their driveway. And, I've been told repeatedly unknown visitors park in front of their home anyway.
Bob Yancy
Hornbeck said:

Howdy,

Taking your points one at a time:

Hotel tax can as long as it's specifically tourist event related.

Find elsewhere. Yes, trying.

The I love Aggieland sign would've offset salary/bennies/insurance/training/equipment for one officer for about 7 months. The sign itself will be iconic branding and be there indefinitely. Plus, that money came from the "build" bucket not the "O&M" bucket.

Macy's- had that idea. I want out of it. Can't cross the streams on Macy's though ("build bucket vs O&M" gee thanks state legislature) but yes I had that thought too.

Making ends meet doing what you must. 100%

Pardon the bullet responses. Respectfully,

-yancy
Hornbeck
AG
Appreciate the response, Bob.
Bob Yancy
Hornbeck said:

Appreciate the response, Bob.

Of course, sir.
maroon barchetta
Please stop blaming the state legislature. They had no part in making that Macy's deal.

And an Instagram prop will never be "iconic". I know the vain decision makers behind that sign want to believe it, but Instagram people are much more likely to use the 12th Man sign on campus.

You could have funded two new entry level officers for the price of that sign. Nobody asked about funding "an office".
Rapier108

"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
MiMi
S
The main flaw in the 'Build' vs 'O&M' buckets it that it appears that the city is willing to empty the Build bucket despite knowing the O&M bucket is insufficient or empty. Just stop. Please. It makes no sense.
Koko Chingo
AG
MiMi said:

The main flaw in the 'Build' vs 'O&M' buckets it that it appears that the city is willing to empty the Build bucket despite knowing the O&M bucket is insufficient or empty. Just stop. Please. It makes no sense.

Well said. People in office do not share that opinion

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.