College Station Utilities new billing system already FUBAR?

6,055 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by waterchick
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I tried to login to my CS Utilities account to see if my new bill is there.
It redirected me to a new site that requires new login info

After getting logged in and trying to enroll, it asks me to enter my account number.
luckily I actually kept a copy of my paper bill.
they have picture that shows you the bill to show where your account number is.
the format on their image is:
XXXXXX-YYYYYY

guess what... if you try to enter the last 2 digits of the 2nd part, the interface automatically deletes those character as if you are entering too many numbers (it also removes the dash if try to do that).

So am I missing something?
Anyone else tried to login and get enrolled in new system

Rearview
AG
I heard that residents will be getting a new 10 digit account number. How you know what this is, I do not know.
UglyScientist
I got a text earlier today saying the new website was ready and it gave me my new account number. Text said old account numbers are no longer valid.
91_Aggie
AG
Rearview said:

I heard that residents will be getting a new 10 digit account number. How you know what this is, I do not know.
okay, that helps.
The problem is that on their website, they show a picture of your bill and where you can find the account number and the account number they have circled is clearly the 12 digit current number from current bills

if you are going to have this big transition, you better document it well for your customers.

And the new enrollment instructions should, as you are trying to enroll, state clearly:
You will need to wait until you get your new paper bill to enroll as that will have your new 10-digit number to use.

not sure how those who converted to electronic only will get their new bill.
91_Aggie
AG
UglyScientist said:

I got a text earlier today saying the new website was ready and it gave me my new account number. Text said old account numbers are no longer valid.
pretty sure they never had my cell number for my account.

This should be fun.

spike427
AG
Ugh, I'm running into the same issue. Unimpressed!
AggieCVQ
Anyone who has ever done a system upgrade knows the pain. I wont judge.
spike427
AG
Oh hey, I got a text tonight. I'll try again tomorrow!
LOYAL AG
AG
Probably the same vendor that made the state Comptroller's new tax payment system that was rolled out April, 2022. Sales taxes are due the 20th of the month and that thing has crashed probably 1/4 of the months since it rolled out. It's been bad. It automatically assigns late fees if you file after the 20th and I've had months where I couldn't file on the 20th because it wouldn't work and my client had to pay those penalties only to be refunded by the state. I've had returns I filed the 18th or 19th be processed late and assessed fees that were later refunded. I finally gave up and moved client sales tax forward to about the 10th to avoid the Charlie Foxtrot that is doing it from about the 18th to the 20th.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
spike427
AG
FYI once you get logged into the new system, give it a minute or two to keep spinning - your info will show up eventually. It functions/looks essentially like the old system, just in a different frame.
Hey Doc, my psoas is sore
91_Aggie
AG
It seems like you need you need your new account number to be able to login.

All this would take is an alert message when you login or when you try to enroll of:
"Welcome to our new system. Please note that you will need to get your new 10-digit account before you can fully enroll. Here is how you can obtain your new 10-digit account number:

1. If you still get paper bills in email, then wait for that bill before attempting to enroll.
Or
2. Check your phone number by clicking on this link. Please update the Cell phone number field and enter your old account number so we can text you your information
Or
3. If you don't want text alerts, update your email address here and also enter your old account information.

If none of the above will work for you, then please call this number and someone will help you.

but no... they just went with "Let's confuse our customers"
spike427
AG
To the dev team that wrote the documentation for this overhaul: Hope someone buys you lunch! Huge updates are the worst.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I got a text last night too.
KidDoc
AG
When we got the mailer about this change my wife was shocked it finally happened. She was a budget analyst for the city and quit that about 4 years ago and she was part of the task force to make this change even back then!

Gotta love the gubment!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gigem92
AG
Still haven't received our new account number.
Koko Chingo
AG
Here is what I did and it worked.

Call College Station Utilities Customer Service # 764-3535 Press "0" to speak to a human.

They will give you a new account #. I was # 18 in line and it took a little under 10 minutes to get a real person and about 1 minute on the phone to get the new #. They ask for address and last 4 of your SSN.

I don't like autopay. it took me a bit to find out where to make a single payment. You will have to re-register for the website with the new account number. When you first login you will see a heading labeled "Balance".

If there is an animated bar graph below it continuously cycling from min to max, -- --wait, and keep waiting. It actually took at least 5 minutes to fully load.

Once it loads there will be a button that says "Pay Now". Once you click on the "Pay Now" button, its a straight forward checkout process.

waterchick
Utility Customer Service website updated with step by step instructions!

https://www.cstx.gov/departments___city_hall/csu/ucs

More videos linked also. The video that was up initially didn't cover everything.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Still haven't gotten a text. I get my bills via email and it had my old account number on it. This is pretty ridiculous. I want all my bills to come out tomorrow when I get paid
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Well I called and got the account number. Now I can't figure out how to make a damn payment. I set up the auto-pay, but I really prefer to go in an pay it at the first of the month.
waterchick
You really need to either pay online, OR do auto pay. If you're enrolled in auto pay and then you make a payment, you will end up paying twice.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Old system always gave me a warning and I never paid twice. I don't see an option in New system for a one time payment though
Koko Chingo
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Old system always gave me a warning and I never paid twice. I don't see an option in New system for a one time payment though
When you first login you will see a heading labeled "Balance".

If there is an animated bar graph below it continuously cycling from min to max (blueish purple color), -- --wait, and keep waiting. It actually took at least 5 minutes (maybe more) to fully load.

Once it loads, there will be a button that says "Pay Now". Once you click on the "Pay Now" button, its a straight forward checkout process.

That is how you pay once.
maroon barchetta
It's fantastic that customers must come to the Aggieland board to get proper instructions on how to use the city's new online payment system instead of, you know, the city's website.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
The make a payment option finally showed up when I checked this morning.
91_Aggie
AG
looks like I'll just wait for next bill in mail... not going to spend time on hold just to get my account number.

Koko Chingo
AG
Well, even though we may occasionally say dumb things to each other on TexAgs; we are all neighbors. We have to look out for each other. It is our lack of faith and trust in our city leaders keeps us united as a community, lol.
gigem92
AG
Finally got an email with the new account number this morning.

It was in my Spam folder because for some reason, no matter what I do, my email provider thinks the noreply email address from CS is spam.
happyinBCS
If they draft monthly nothing has to be done correct?
That is the way I read the notice.
please confirm
waterchick
Correct. You don't have to re-enroll in autopay; you DO have to create a new utility account using the 10-digit account number (edit: to be able to view your account history online).
BigMamaP
gigem92 said:

It was in my Spam folder because for some reason, no matter what I do, my email provider thinks the noreply email address from CS is spam.

Thank you for mentioning this. That's where mine was, too.
91_Aggie
AG
LOLZZZZZZzzz!

So I get my paper bill in the mail today.

No mention of new system

No 10-digit new account number anywhere on the bill... just old 12-digit.

Guess they are going to make me call and wait on hold.

I don't think they could have planned this any worse.

What better way to give us the new information than in the bill they are already mailing?!?!

MiMi
S
My CSU bill arrived in the mail today as well. Same 12 digit account number. I wouldn't have known about any changes if I wasn't on TexAgs.

But I'm an old so this doesn't change how I pay my bill. I receive the bill in the mail, write a check for the balance, place it in the provided envelope, and then drop it in the payment box just inside the front door at the Utility Customer Service Center. It was more convenient when the drive-through was open since they had a payment box there that I could use if it was outside of normal business hours.
waterchick
I got a postcard in the mail, and a text. Also an email but it went to my spam folder.

The new system was also promoted on the city's social media plus it was picked up on (at least) WTAW.

However: if you don't have an email or phone number on file with CSU; if you don't have social media; if you don't watch/read/listen to the news (or it doesn't get picked up), it's difficult to get information to everyone impacted.

Edit to add: bills received today were generated on the previous system so perhaps that's why there was no mention of the new account number.
HowdyAgs03
AG
waterchick said:

I got a postcard in the mail, and a text. Also an email but it went to my spam folder.

Thanks for the tip. Just found the notification in my spam folder. So far no mail or text messages...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.