More medians....

22,978 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by doubledog
BaitShack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In my case, medians kill business because I avoid the area entirely.
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

AgProgrammer said:

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet most anything that left turns on to busy roads result in more accidents than right turns AND that those accidents are worse for left turns than right turns.
Can't wait for the day when we're all going around, just making right turns, because the government has decided we aren't capable of making left turns anymore.


I did that once when my clutch went out.
my olds cutlass transmission was going bad and there where times I couldn't go in reverse, I had to plan out parking to either pull out head first or hopefully push back with one foot on the ground and the car in neutral
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BQ_90 said:

maroon barchetta said:

AgProgrammer said:

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet most anything that left turns on to busy roads result in more accidents than right turns AND that those accidents are worse for left turns than right turns.
Can't wait for the day when we're all going around, just making right turns, because the government has decided we aren't capable of making left turns anymore.


I did that once when my clutch went out.
my olds cutlass transmission was going bad and there where times I couldn't go in reverse, I had to plan out parking to either pull out head first or hopefully push back with one foot on the ground and the car in neutral


I may also be familiar with that scenario.

Also, I had a car develop a problem where it would go only in reverse.

I drove it across town in reverse to get to a repair shop.
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
saltsman said:

How, exactly do medians kill business? It's not like traffic is only going one direction all the time.

Let's say I'm out to pick up some tacos at this place up on the left. I'm headed east, but the median requires me to make a u-turn at the light. I say forget it, so I'll pull into this taco place on the right. I still bought tacos. For that taco stand on the right, medians increased their business. In the big scheme of things, it's a wash. I get that medians are disrupting old habits, but I can't see how they are actually discouraging people from buying tacos if they really want tacos. The only business they may be actually reducing is body shop business.

The same logic applies with the bypass. If I want to go to Sam's Club and am driving south, I still have to exit,U-turn and drive back north a bit. It's not that big of a deal. Back when the bypass was added, were people pissed they can't just drive across the median and down the embankments at will?


Bypass was added before TexAgs and social media, so probably not.
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Your "taco place" example is laughable. Businesses offering identical products/services do not often exist, in a convenient area.
Ace Bolt & Screw as an example... northbound Texas Ave traffic has to go another half mile, to the 32nd Street intersection, for a U-turn, or a convoluted alternate route. THEN if you want to continue a northbound trip on Texas Ave, nope, no choice but go southbound, for another sketchy U-turn, or ....just screw it, I'll wait, or find an alternative source...or order it online.
One example of many businesses losing customers. Find us one example, of a business stating "medians helped my business".
NRA Life
TSRA Life
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

BQ_90 said:

maroon barchetta said:

AgProgrammer said:

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet most anything that left turns on to busy roads result in more accidents than right turns AND that those accidents are worse for left turns than right turns.
Can't wait for the day when we're all going around, just making right turns, because the government has decided we aren't capable of making left turns anymore.


I did that once when my clutch went out.
my olds cutlass transmission was going bad and there where times I couldn't go in reverse, I had to plan out parking to either pull out head first or hopefully push back with one foot on the ground and the car in neutral


I may also be familiar with that scenario.

Also, I had a car develop a problem where it would go only in reverse.

I drove it across town in reverse to get to a repair shop.
try that now with all these medians
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's a story in the Eagle today about medians to go in on South College. Interestingly, there's a quote from TxDot about the cities working together, and with TxDot, to coordinate placement.

I had a fascinating hour long conversation with a TxDot engineer a few months back, who indicated that a) they don't like to do "contested" projects, that b) they've always wondered why the cities and state reps weren't more active in traffic planning and c) he thought the process could benefit from more transparency and cooperation. I strongly agree.

It seems as if, before the public outcry about medians, local leaders always just assumed, to a large degree anyway, that TxDot was going to do what it was going to do and we were powerless to change it. I'm told that's not completely true.

We have innumerable traffic committees and I'm sure those on them do good work, but more proactivity and more cooperation and more site specific workshops are needed around this. At the very least citizens would get greater input and heads up, rather than seemingly sudden announcements that a project is about to commence. By then it's too late to move the needle.

My $.02 and something to work on in 2024.

Respectfully…
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TexAg1987 said:

Are their any other towns getting this treatment with medians?
I assume we can't be the only one.
Brenham is.
AgProgrammer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can tell you that I have quit going to the Sonic on Texas by Walmart because it's become such a pain in the ass to get into. Unless you are coming from one particular direction, it now takes a series of u-turns and driving behind Walmart to get to.
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mediums are the band-aides for traffic growth. The more congestion the higher the accident rate. I feel for a business that is hurt by new medians. They formed their business plan with open access, only to find a barrier between them and their customers. On the other hand it is the customers that forced the medians (due to their poor driving skills). What I am saying is that there is plenty of blame to throw around.

Bucketrunner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It seems some businesses have survived Covid only to be shut down by an overreaching and overly zealous government agency.

This is awful.
Gone Camping
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

philothea said:

I am curious once they go north of Old Hearne road if they will give a left hand turn to Producers Coop. Plus as narrow as those left hand turns are trailers are going to have a heck of time using them. Plus they have N. Sims closed between the railroad crossing and Texas which is another mess.


FWIW, the TXDoT planning map (https://www.txdot.gov/apps/statewide_mapping/StatewidePlanningMap.html) shows the median project extending to Old Hearn and stopping. There do not appear to be any projects north of Old Hearn, even out to "corridor studies, construction to being in 10+ years".
What's the scoop on the random median/island things they're installing on Old Hearne Rd by the HEB? They widened the road but put huge islands with narrow chokepoint lanes on either side. And sidewalk access to nowhere through several of the islands. What is the thought process behind that nonsense????
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is Old Hearne Road a TxDOT responsibility?
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is a project listed to add pedestrian path down Texas south from Old Hearn. I assume they will eventually connect up. But guessing it will just dead end at old Hearn for now.
goatchze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rsa said:

There seems to be a plentiful budget for building medians, but no funds to paint the darned things with reflective paint so you can see them at night.
Or even remove the old signage.

Noticed this was still up:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6714473,-96.369766,3a,75y,301.11h,85.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_EKyvBNArezOvtuKW4h-5w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Ain't no go straight or left at that intersection anymore.
BlueMiles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GSS said:

Your "taco place" example is laughable. Businesses offering identical products/services do not often exist, in a convenient area.
Ace Bolt & Screw as an example... northbound Texas Ave traffic has to go another half mile, to the 32nd Street intersection, for a U-turn, or a convoluted alternate route. THEN if you want to continue a northbound trip on Texas Ave, nope, no choice but go southbound, for another sketchy U-turn, or ....just screw it, I'll wait, or find an alternative source...or order it online.
One example of many businesses losing customers. Find us one example, of a business stating "medians helped my business".


Plus, take a look at the curbs where people are trying to make these u-turns. Tire marks all over the place. I've seen people u-turn, hit the curb, back up (on Texas Avenue!), and try to go forward. What a circus.
saltsman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So the consensus is, I guess, that medians kill impulse buys.

Sonic is on the wrong side, I guess I'm not hungry after all? I'll skip this meal and just not eat at all?

Ace Bolt and Screw on the wrong side, that will take 2 extra minutes. I guess I'll order online instead and wait two extra days.

Sounds odd to me -- but convenience is a thing.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw someone pull out of Castlegate tonight and immediately u-turn around the median on Greens Prairie to head east.
VAXMaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgProgrammer said:

I hate that the new turn lane medians are sticking out in the left lane down Harvey, etc. The turn lanes inside of the median are wider than the actual lanes now.
The one that bothers me most is the one on Texas where they added a new median to block left turns from Valley View to head north on Texas. It sticks out into traffic at least a foot and you can see the leading edge is totally black from tire hits and a good chunk of concrete is missing from all of the rims that have been destroyed there.

Last summer I contacted TXDOT and they said they are "aware of the issue and working to fix it" however not only have they not fixed it, they haven't painted it yellow, put up a little orange pole, or attempted in any way to either fix it or make it more visible. In this snapshot you can see the distance from the old median to the tire tracks compared to the new. This is looking north from the southbound lane.



And now, if you want to leave Tractor Supply and head north on Texas, you can't turn left on Texas from Valley View and of course you can't turn left on Longmire from the frontage road (also blocked by a concrete median) so you have to exit to the left, then left on Valley View, left on Longmire, left on Harvey Mitchel (after waiting for the light), left on Texas (after waiting for the light).
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
saltsman said:

So the consensus is, I guess, that medians kill impulse buys.

Sonic is on the wrong side, I guess I'm not hungry after all? I'll skip this meal and just not eat at all?

Ace Bolt and Screw on the wrong side, that will take 2 extra minutes. I guess I'll order online instead and wait two extra days.

Sounds odd to me -- but convenience is a thing.

Your "consensus" is as laughable as your "taco places" example.
But keep twisting and perverting the facts, using two examples to dismiss the real impact of medians on businesses on Texas Ave, and other streets.
Where is the example of a business owner happy with the medians?
NRA Life
TSRA Life
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
saltsman said:

So the consensus is, I guess, that medians kill impulse buys.

Sonic is on the wrong side, I guess I'm not hungry after all? I'll skip this meal and just not eat at all?

Ace Bolt and Screw on the wrong side, that will take 2 extra minutes. I guess I'll order online instead and wait two extra days.

Sounds odd to me -- but convenience is a thing.
This is kind of my thought process on it.

If I'm going somewhere, I go there. Yes, I will curse the medians for the added few minutes it takes me to arrive, but it doesn't keep me from going there.

I still hate them. And I personally feel more likely to get in an accident making a detour through a tight neighborhood with cars parked along the road than I would making a left turn.

Most of my hatred for them is attributed to Texas Avenue in Bryan. They don't bother me much on Harvey or Texas in College Station.
jimbo457
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaitShack said:

In my case, medians kill business because I avoid the area entirely.
Perhaps, If I may be so bold, you are the one killing local businesses.
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jimbo457 said:

BaitShack said:

In my case, medians kill business because I avoid the area entirely.
Perhaps, If I may be so bold, you are the one killing local businesses.
yes how dare the customer do what they want with their money.
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BQ_90 said:

jimbo457 said:

BaitShack said:

In my case, medians kill business because I avoid the area entirely.
Perhaps, If I may be so bold, you are the one killing local businesses.
yes how dare the customer do what they want with their money.


Punishing a business you enjoy visiting for something beyond their control is an odd hill to die on.

My $.02.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
maroon barchetta said:

Saw someone pull out of Castlegate tonight and immediately u-turn around the median on Greens Prairie to head east.
So what is more dangerous. U turns or left turns from side streets? (median issue)
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LOYAL AG said:

BQ_90 said:

jimbo457 said:

BaitShack said:

In my case, medians kill business because I avoid the area entirely.
Perhaps, If I may be so bold, you are the one killing local businesses.
yes how dare the customer do what they want with their money.


Punishing a business you enjoy visiting for something beyond their control is an odd hill to die on.

My $.02.


It won't if you value it over the alternatives. This town provides lots of alternatives. So time and convenience is a factor in consumer choices.


woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rsa said:

There seems to be a plentiful budget for building medians, but no funds to paint the darned things with reflective paint so you can see them at night.
That is scheduled to be done in 2041. They are not in a hurry to complete anything...take a look that the decade long 2818 project.
taxpreparer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It has been said, "The three most important variables for a business are location, location, location."

I interpret that to be "cost, visibility, and accessability." Medians change the location (accessability.)
jimbo457
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BQ_90 said:

jimbo457 said:

BaitShack said:

In my case, medians kill business because I avoid the area entirely.
Perhaps, If I may be so bold, you are the one killing local businesses.
yes how dare the customer do what they want with their money.
This proves my point, the customer is making that decision, not the evil government with their medians.
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jimbo457 said:

BQ_90 said:

jimbo457 said:

BaitShack said:

In my case, medians kill business because I avoid the area entirely.
Perhaps, If I may be so bold, you are the one killing local businesses.
yes how dare the customer do what they want with their money.
This proves my point, the customer is making that decision, not the evil government with their medians.
the customer isn't installing the medians that alters how the customer access the businesses

woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
saltsman said:

How, exactly do medians kill business? It's not like traffic is only going one direction all the time.

Let's say I'm out to pick up some tacos at this place up on the left. I'm headed east, but the median requires me to make a u-turn at the light. I say forget it, so I'll pull into this taco place on the right. I still bought tacos. For that taco stand on the right, medians increased their business. In the big scheme of things, it's a wash. I get that medians are disrupting old habits, but I can't see how they are actually discouraging people from buying tacos if they really want tacos. The only business they may be actually reducing is body shop business.

The same logic applies with the bypass. If I want to go to Sam's Club and am driving south, I still have to exit,U-turn and drive back north a bit. It's not that big of a deal. Back when the bypass was added, were people pissed they can't just drive across the median and down the embankments at will?
I remember reading somewhere where the manager of Wolf Creek oil change said that there business went down about 1/3rd after the medians were installed.

B$Weigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The extra wide sidewalks on. It's sides if William Joel Bryan effectively eliminate an entire traffic lane. Ridiculous!
B$Weigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
B$Weigem said:

The extra wide sidewalks on both sides of William Joel Bryan effectively eliminate an entire traffic lane. Ridiculous!
BCSWguru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
whoever decided to make WJB into a one lane road going in and out of downtown is a freakin genius
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
B$Weigem said:

The extra wide sidewalks on. It's sides if William Joel Bryan effectively eliminate an entire traffic lane. Ridiculous!
I'm thinking that was to slow traffic. They have tried to slow it down through there for years. It will probably just perpetuate a huge snarling mess though.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.