USPS delivery about to (somehow) get worse

6,998 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by RodTidwell
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you live in some apartment complexes, get ready for USPS to drop all the mail at the front office and let them sort it out.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/11/20/mail-delivery-shake-up-causes-concerns-college-station-residents-property-managers/

Last week we had to packages thrown into our ditch. Not by the mailbox. Not in the driveway. Not brought to the porch. Just tossed out the window.

They already deliver mail on our street to every other box so we have to take mail to our neighbors. But hey! If I only stop half as much ad I'm suppose to, I get done twice as fast and don't have to interrupt the all-day phone call I always seem to be on when I'm out delivering!
Stupe
S
Our USPS deliver is abysmal and there is no accountability. They lie about dropping off packages and we are constantly having people post about getting mail for others on our neighborhood Facebook page.
happyinBCS
My post lady is Sandy, she is a wonderful hard-working woman that is on top of her game, been with USPS for over 20 years. It is unfortunate some of the workers are terrible, and this is a horrible management decision that in my opinion won't last.
sirhc
AG
outside of getting my packages dropped off at the wrong house on occasion, my post lady seems very hard working. Often time at the mail boxes after 7pm. Feel bad for her.
AggiePhil
AG
No issues with USPS here. Everyone sure likes to pile on them though.
maroon barchetta
AggiePhil said:

I do. When I have to deliver mail to my neighbors and pick up packages out of the ditch, I will pile on because they didn't do their job.

Good for you having one of the few mail carriers that takes pride in their work.
JMac03
AG
AggiePhil said:

When you have terrible post people, there is a reason we do. I had one named Dustin for years. Absolutely fabulous. The one I have now is downright awful. Wrong mail delivered, shoves things in mailbox that shouldn't, has busted my french drain twice, drives up into my driveway to put a package on the porch (doesn't really bother me but odd), smokes in her truck. I could go on and on.
halibut sinclair
We had a longtime carrier that was fantastic- she knew everyone on our street and delivered at the same time every day. She retired and we went through a bunch of random folks who didn't seem to care. Now we have a regular lady again and she's doing great work.
Stupe
S
AggiePhil said:

It's not "piling on" when there is constants ineptness from the carriers and indifference to it at the post office.
BQ_90
AG
AggiePhil said:

when they don't pick up a outgoing letter in the mail box for 3 days (which means they didn't even deliver my mail in 3 days either), delivery my mail to neighbor about 5x a month, when I get packages for other people whos address isn't even close to mine; why wouldn't I pile on them
Stupe
S
happyinBCS said:

My post lady is Sandy, she is a wonderful hard-working woman that is on top of her game, been with USPS for over 20 years. It is unfortunate some of the workers are terrible, and this is a horrible management decision that in my opinion won't last.
It's a horrible decision.
It will last.
USPS has no competition and couldn't care less how their deliveries impact people as long as it cuts costs.
happyinBCS
I appreciate your positive outlook.
threecatcorner
It's a horrible decision.
woodometer
AG
I would encourage everyone that has an issue with the post office to first complain to the post office in writing. They will respond and tell you that what they are doing is their new policy or they apologize and always strive to do it right. Their complaint system is total crap. Then send your issues to your US representatives office. They are going to ask you if you have contacted the post office and with your response from the USPS they will take it from there. I find that at least McCaul's office to be very helpful. The only way the USPS is going to get better is with pressure from congress and the only way that will happen is if the people call your reps.
Independence H-D
Took me a while to find this new spot for packages. USPoS.
Stupe
S
Reality isn't always positive.

We had a neighbor that was a postal worker and those were his exact words.

After several "Your package was delivered" notifications by Amazon and other companies that were false, I went to the post office on 2818.
I was told, "Sometimes they enter it as delivered to clear their tablet. They usually deliver it the next day".
I asked if they realized that when people get a "delivered" notification they expect it to be there and when it isn't, they start wondering where it was delivered or if it was stolen.

The reply: "I understand and we get these complaints often, but there isn't much we can do".

When I asked if there was a way to file a grievance, I was told that I could look in the USPS website...."If I wanted to".
To her credit, the lady at the counter was very polite and I could tell that she was tired of having to answer those questions from people.

You can make all of the little snide remarks that you want, but that doesn't change reality.
boredatwork08
AG
It's amazing what happens when a government service's budget is cut year after year.
woodiewood1
boredatwork08 said:

It's amazing what happens when a government service's budget is cut year after year.
Has it been cut?

"The United States Postal Service Board of Governors today announced its unanimous approval of an adjusted Fiscal Year 2024 budget for the Postal Regulatory Commission. The approved budget of $21.124 million, when combined with the PRC's other resources, results in a spending plan for FY 2024 totaling $27.202 million. While less than PRC's FY 2024 budget request, the approved spending plan is a 28.2 percent increase over the PRC's estimated spending in FY2023, and a 47.4 percent increase over the PRC's actual expenses in FY 2022."

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/national-releases/2023/0911-usps-bog-approves-adjusted-fy24-budget-for-the-postal-regulatory-commission.htm
maroon barchetta
That's just for the regulatory commission. Not the whole postal service.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
The private sector has shown they do it better, faster, and cheaper. What has the post office done to show they don't need their budget slashed or their department defunded entirely?
bloom
woodometer said:

I would encourage everyone that has an issue with the post office to first complain to the post office in writing. They will respond and tell you that what they are doing is their new policy or they apologize and always strive to do it right. Their complaint system is total crap. Then send your issues to your US representatives office. They are going to ask you if you have contacted the post office and with your response from the USPS they will take it from there. I find that at least McCaul's office to be very helpful. The only way the USPS is going to get better is with pressure from congress and the only way that will happen is if the people call your reps.

I did thisand they will reply that they are speaking with your carrier about the service issues. Yep, that will help. If a package/mail does arrive I feel certain it has been spit on, and it has created a challenge for my carrier to deliver packages using a hide and seek method. Do not recommend.

Just call your congressperson and let them know you would be fine with paper mail just arriving three days a week (if they only have packages to deliver the other four days of the week, perhaps they can devote more people to accurately sorting mail) if that's what it takes to not have to play gift exchange with all of your neighbors once a day.

I assume that the whole postal delivery process is one of the first things that will be turned over to robots from point A to point Z
maroon barchetta
What if you already only get mail three days per week because your carrier doesn't show up at all sometimes.
EMY92
AG
boredatwork08 said:

Post office doesn't receive direct payments from the government. They are supposed to operate off of their revenue.
phillytex24
boredatwork08 said:

And they got rid of the high hiring standards. You used to have to pass an extremely hard test. Once that went out of the window, the crumbling began.
PS3D
[Do not use insulting language on this forum. This is your last warning. -Staff]
FlyRod
My mail carrier is awesome. Super friendly, never a mistake, and actually helped me track down some packages that porch pirates had stolen one year.
ElephantRider
AG
I've had two packages over the last couple months that USPS marked as delivered without delivering them, only for them to magically appear at our door 2-3 weeks later. Post office was not helpful at all.
trouble
AG
Who in the private sector is willing to deliver a letter for less than a dollar?

Packages are one thing but UPS, FedEx, etc don't want to be in the mail business.
histag10
AG
This morning we found mail on our dirt road for an address about 7 miles away.

We delivered it to their mailbox, being the kind people we are. Wondering if a well check needs to be done though- that mailbox looks like they crammed as much crap in it as they could, and then just started dropping the mail out the window when it got too full.

I'll add that for the last several months, I only get mail delivered every other day, despite informed delivery showing I should get mail daily. Can't get a hold of anyone to complain though...
maroon barchetta
They know they are terrible and don't want to hear about it and don't care, so they make it hard to reach them.
George Costanza
"The private sector has shown they do it better, faster, and cheaper. What has the post office done to show they don't need their budget slashed or their department defunded entirely?"

As much as the post office needs drastic overhaul, the private sector doesn't actually deliver mail better, faster and cheaper. What private company is going to deliver a letter from College Station to Alaska or Maine for 68 cents?

The post office, for better or worse, falls into the same category as public education ... they were and are one of the few government programs that act as great equalizers of opportunity that help (or at least helped?) make the USA great. They are worth fighting for to improve them.
happyinBCS
I have had USPS informed delivery for several years because I travel a lot.

You might want to check it out you can sign up on their website and it is no charge. I usually get an email by 7am each morning on what will be delivered that day.

Cheers
maroon barchetta
I signed up for informed delivery. I've yet to be informed on anything.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
trouble said:

Who in the private sector is willing to deliver a letter for less than a dollar?

Packages are one thing but UPS, FedEx, etc don't want to be in the mail business.
I honestly don't remember the last time I mailed or received a letter in the mail. I'll send packages or shoot an email. If pushed, I'd say there really is no need for a post office. If we didn't have a post office for letters, either FedEx/UPS would step up or people would stop mailing letters and send things electronically.

The post office, especially the one in College Station, absolutely sucks and has no desire to improve. I am tired of funding them for a service I neither use nor need.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
happyinBCS said:

I have had USPS informed delivery for several years because I travel a lot.

You might want to check it out you can sign up on their website and it is no charge. I usually get an email by 7am each morning on what will be delivered that day.

Cheers
We do that. It lies. We will be told something is coming that day and it doesn't.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.