Traffic on the Bypass

6,299 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by merrag01
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have found myself on the east Bypass around 5-6pm the past two Fridays. Both times, southbound traffic was barely moving from Briarcrest all the way to Rock Prairie. Is this a regular thing now? I have been working from home the past few years so don't usually have the need to get out at that time.
RDH80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd say it's been that way daily for the past couple of years .
BCSWguru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's normal. Should have expanded it 15+ years ago. From OSR to 105 should be 6 lanes minimum. Probably 8 from 2818 to 40.
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
halibut sinclair said:

I have found myself on the east Bypass around 5-6pm the past two Fridays. Both times, southbound traffic was barely moving from Briarcrest all the way to Rock Prairie. Is this a regular thing now? I have been working from home the past few years so don't usually have the need to get out at that time.
As we have only two major highways going north/south and much of the growth in CS and Brazos County southward, it's only going to get worst. They need to expand to six lanes as planned asap. I drive it once or twice a day most every week day and know to avoid it from 4 to 6pm.

Buford T. Justice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've watched the problem grow over the years.
It used to be that the bend in the road, just past Central Park, going south, would cause people to slow down, and that backed everything up.

Now, you have an issue with people exiting to get to Pebble Creek and Castlegate, and that backs everything up.

maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I take side streets and just avoid the headache and the chance for being backed up due to a wreck. There are plenty of those.
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thursday afternoon got on 6 at WJB at 5:47 and exited Greens Prairie at 6:10. I try to avoid Hwy 6 after 4:00pm if I can. At first I figured there was a wreck or some other cause but it's just congestion and people driving slow.
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm pretty sure it wasn't anywhere near like is is now before fall of 2021 when I started remote work.
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The lack of planning for future growth in CS has caused so many traffic nightmares
And it will only get worse

Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
BCSWguru said:

It's normal. Should have expanded it 15+ years ago. From OSR to 105 should be 6 lanes minimum. Probably 8 from 2818 to 40.
I know a couple of DOT guys and there are plans for it to be six lanes from 290 to OSR.

A lot of land on 6 in Waller County is being sold to developers.
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stupe said:

I know a couple of DOT guys and there are plans for it to be six lanes from 290 to OSR.

Those plans have existed for over 15 years. Have yet to materialize.
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Those big gas stations haven't been there and the land around them up for sale for fifteen years.

It's no longer "if".
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll believe it when I start seeing the bulldozers.
textar4404
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They have been rebuilding the bridge just south of the shell station at Hwy 6 and FM 2 for quite a while. One side is open now. Don't remember if it is wide enough for a third lane. If there are real plans to make it three wide each direction, you would think they would go ahead and make the bridge wide enough while they are already rebuilding it. Will have to pay attention next time I drive down that way.
ZoneClubber
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've provided this information before but the number and location of exits and on ramps is problematic. The State Highway 6 corridor through Bryan/College Station is approximately 15 miles long from the Business 6 exit, on the north end of Bryan to the William D. Fitch exit, on the south end. There are 46 ingress and egress access points (on and off ramps) on the highway in that 15 mile stretch.

Based on the amount of vehicle traffic on this stretch of highway and the high number of ingress and egress points, especially during peak and daytime hours, it creates traffic problems. (e.g. is an exit for University, and one for Harvey and one for SW Pkwy necessary in such a short stretch?)

The numerous entrance and exit ramps create hazards for the reasonable driver due to the difficulty for vehicles entering the freeway to approach the 70 m.p.h. rate of speed, and due to vehicles slowing to exit. In some cases, the shorter length of the entrance ramps do not provide sufficient length and time for many vehicles to accelerate to highway speeds.
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zone416 said:

I've provided this information before but the number and location of exits and on ramps is problematic. The State Highway 6 corridor through Bryan/College Station is approximately 15 miles long from the Business 6 exit, on the north end of Bryan to the William D. Fitch exit, on the south end. There are 46 ingress and egress access points (on and off ramps) on the highway in that 15 mile stretch.

Based on the amount of vehicle traffic on this stretch of highway and the high number of ingress and egress points, especially during peak and daytime hours, it creates traffic problems. (e.g. is an exit for University, and one for Harvey and one for SW Pkwy necessary in such a short stretch?)

The numerous entrance and exit ramps create hazards for the reasonable driver due to the difficulty for vehicles entering the freeway to approach the 70 m.p.h. rate of speed, and due to vehicles slowing to exit. In some cases, the shorter length of the entrance ramps do not provide sufficient length and time for many vehicles to accelerate to highway speeds.
Perhaps close Harvey entrance and exit lanes would help? I know never will happen.
Buford T. Justice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas Ave. reminds me of Westheimer Rd. at 5:00p.m.
Mr. Bergstrom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zone416 said:

I've provided this information before but the number and location of exits and on ramps is problematic. The State Highway 6 corridor through Bryan/College Station is approximately 15 miles long from the Business 6 exit, on the north end of Bryan to the William D. Fitch exit, on the south end. There are 46 ingress and egress access points (on and off ramps) on the highway in that 15 mile stretch.

Based on the amount of vehicle traffic on this stretch of highway and the high number of ingress and egress points, especially during peak and daytime hours, it creates traffic problems. (e.g. is an exit for University, and one for Harvey and one for SW Pkwy necessary in such a short stretch?)

The numerous entrance and exit ramps create hazards for the reasonable driver due to the difficulty for vehicles entering the freeway to approach the 70 m.p.h. rate of speed, and due to vehicles slowing to exit. In some cases, the shorter length of the entrance ramps do not provide sufficient length and time for many vehicles to accelerate to highway speeds.

This.
The most rudimentary analysis shows that there are just too many on and off ramps.
zachsccr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr. Bergstrom said:

Zone416 said:

I've provided this information before but the number and location of exits and on ramps is problematic. The State Highway 6 corridor through Bryan/College Station is approximately 15 miles long from the Business 6 exit, on the north end of Bryan to the William D. Fitch exit, on the south end. There are 46 ingress and egress access points (on and off ramps) on the highway in that 15 mile stretch.

Based on the amount of vehicle traffic on this stretch of highway and the high number of ingress and egress points, especially during peak and daytime hours, it creates traffic problems. (e.g. is an exit for University, and one for Harvey and one for SW Pkwy necessary in such a short stretch?)

The numerous entrance and exit ramps create hazards for the reasonable driver due to the difficulty for vehicles entering the freeway to approach the 70 m.p.h. rate of speed, and due to vehicles slowing to exit. In some cases, the shorter length of the entrance ramps do not provide sufficient length and time for many vehicles to accelerate to highway speeds.

This.
The most rudimentary analysis shows that there are just too many on and off ramps.



Well then I'm sure glad they spent all the time and money to redo ramps 5-7ish years ago…
meinkee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Each time I go to East Texas: Linden, Mineola, Longview, Palestine and Tyler, I marvel at the road system. The divided 4 lanes, the toll roads. every time I wonder how they managed to get such superior roads in the same state we are in. The only back up ai have ever experienced is the loop in Tyler on a Friday
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buford T. Justice said:

Texas Ave. reminds me of Westheimer Rd. at 5:00p.m.

I would like to talk to the person or persons who designed South Texas Ave between Bush and Southwest Parkway. First thing I would do is check their credentials...
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lots of business growth here, lots of population growth. Traffic issues will grow worse.
tb9665
How long do you want to ignore this user?
But without the restaurants to eat at. Wish we had some here.
etmydst
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What would you like to tell the Engineer, likely an A&M graduate, that did that 20 years ago? Are you going to educate them with your internet tough guy expertise?
JP76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not an engineer but can someone explain to me how having fewer entrance and exits would not just increase the traffic count on the ones that are left open likely resulting in exit ramps backing more up onto 6 like it does at GP now ?
JP76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FlyRod said:

Lots of business growth here, lots of population growth. Traffic issues will grow worse.


The explosion of socol in the last 20 years is probably just a tad higher than what was predicted. I would venture a guess that 80-90% of the current houses were built since 2003 south of rock prairie
Stucco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KBTX reported a start date of August of '24 back in January.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/01/25/expansion-projects-highway-6-expected-begin-2024/
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JP76 said:

Not an engineer but can someone explain to me how having fewer entrance and exits would not just increase the traffic count on the ones that are left open likely resulting in exit ramps backing more up onto 6 like it does at GP now ?


Traffic slows when too many people enter an on-ramp, with the worst congestion coming BEFORE the ramp. This is pretty common in Houston but most notable in College Station around Briarcrest/University.

Ramp metering stoplights are designed to turn green when there's a gap in the highway and not to put too many people on the highway at one time. It also has the effect of moving the congestion to the frontage road. Plus, if we had ramp metering lights on Highway 6, you'll never hear the end of it.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Plus, you have reduced the number of opportunities for people to slow down to exit or take their time reaching highway speed to enter the highway.

It's common in Houston to see an exit with two road names on the sign. One of the next road and one for the road behind that one. You might have to exit and sit thru a traffic signal but you'll get there.

On Hwy 6 they decided every road needs its own exit. They could have one exit for Rock Prairie and Emerald Parkway when going north. Or make it for Emerald Parkway and Southwest Parkway. And so on.

They didn't do that. Would it have helped?

Dunno.

Prolly.
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
maroon barchetta said:

Plus, you have reduced the number of opportunities for people to slow down to exit or take their time reaching highway speed to enter the highway.

It's common in Houston to see an exit with two road names on the sign. One of the next road and one for the road behind that one. You might have to exit and sit thru a traffic signal but you'll get there.

On Hwy 6 they decided every road needs its own exit. They could have one exit for Rock Prairie and Emerald Parkway when going north. Or make it for Emerald Parkway and Southwest Parkway. And so on.

They didn't do that. Would it have helped?

Dunno.

Prolly.


It might make sense for Briarcrest and Boonville, but it would require upgrading the frontage roads to accommodate the increased output.

The others are spaced out enough or don't have the volume that creates the biggest problems.
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wasn't the supposed main purpose of moving the ramps a few years ago to get more traffic on the feeder roads?
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
etmydst said:

What would you like to tell the Engineer, likely an A&M graduate, that did that 20 years ago? Are you going to educate them with your internet tough guy expertise?
Thank you. You answered my question on why that area is all screwed up.
birdman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
halibut sinclair said:

Wasn't the supposed main purpose of moving the ramps a few years ago to get more traffic on the feeder roads?
No.

The stretch from exit to feeder stop light was too short. Cars were backed up onto Hwy 6
agnerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Problem with funding is that as CS traffic has gotten worse, Houston, Dalllas, San Antonio, and Austin traffic has gotten "more" worse. CS has ~45 minute rush hour. Houston and Dallas have 4-hour rush hours now. Plus, they have 7 million voters compared to our 275k. Only way to get anything built quickly now is to put toll lanes down the middle of the highway. Ask your local rep to start a county toll road agency if you want that to be an option.
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
birdman said:

halibut sinclair said:

Wasn't the supposed main purpose of moving the ramps a few years ago to get more traffic on the feeder roads?
No.

The stretch from exit to feeder stop light was too short. Cars were backed up onto Hwy 6


Well then, pretty sure it was A benefit they mentioned back then.
Page 1 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.