Traffic on the Bypass

6,583 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by merrag01
meteoag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if this is the final design but in reviewing https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/get-involved/bry/SH6CentralBCS/051221-schematic-3.pdf it it appears that they will be building an additional bridge during the expansion. More can be found at https://www.txdot.gov/projects/hearings-meetings/bryan/archive/051221.html.
BluHorseShu
AG
halibut sinclair said:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't anywhere near like is is now before fall of 2021 when I started remote work.
Maybe...But it has gotten progressively worse as the cities expand. Just wait until they start construction on adding a 3rd lane to Hwy 6. If I had the option to WFH...I would just do that.
SARATOGA
The data on the amount of ingress/egress points is valuable.....I didn't know (never bothered to count).

But if you're getting on the highway, STEP on it.

and if you're getting off the highway, don't brake until you are on the frontage road.

They've redun the entrances and exits a few times in my decades here.....but people not pressing the pedal entering the highway is half the problem. You need to be going 70 BEFORE you attempt to merge.
taxpreparer
AG
SARATOGA said:

The data on the amount of ingress/egress points is valuable.....I didn't know (never bothered to count).

But if you're getting on the highway, STEP on it.

and if you're getting off the highway, don't brake until you are on the frontage road.

They've redun the entrances and exits a few times in my decades here.....but people not pressing the pedal entering the highway is half the problem. You need to be going 70 BEFORE you attempt to merge.

No, you need to.match your speed to the traffic as you merge. It would be stupid to hit 70 a trying to merge southbound from University or Harvey Road at 5 in the afternoon.; when traffic is practically at a standstill.
Hornbeck
AG
Hey, maybe we can pass a "no trucks in left lane" like they have in big cities. That would definitely help some, IMHO.
doubledog
Reduce the number of enter/exit ramps in both directions on 6. This will lower the number of "light skippers" (those that enter the highway to avoid a traffic light on the feeder road) and thus reduce overall traffic on 6.
Hornbeck
AG
That drives me nuts. When I'm headed north, elderly driver gets on at Fitch, going 40, killing the traffic flow, just to exit Rock Prairieā€¦
australopithecus robustus
Not to worry it will improve when students fully leave in 8 days.

Truthfully I don't mind it too much. It's nothing compared to big cities and the traffic signifies growth and more robust commerce.
oklaunion

Some of the exits aren't designed for that. Southbound Harvey exit in front of the old S&W is one that has seen numerous rollovers and spinouts due to the sharp turn after exiting. But, for the vast majority, you are correct.
Stucco
doubledog said:

Reduce the number of enter/exit ramps in both directions on 6. This will lower the number of "light skippers" (those that enter the highway to avoid a traffic light on the feeder road) and thus reduce overall traffic on 6.
I must be missing something.

Isn't everyone on the freeway a "light skipper?" Isn't that the whole point of the freeway?

I think the problem is that 6 needs more lanes and people don't match the speed of traffic to merge. CSPD could you give us a hand here and pass out some warnings?
trouble
AG
They mean people who get on, merge, never speed up, slow down even more, take the next exit all just to avoid one light.
merrag01
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.