The mall is suing the city of CS

33,240 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Hornbeck
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, if you want the city to divest itself of land holdings, I figure selling tracts for a 2,300% capital gain for the taxpayer is a good way to go about it.

I hope you agree.
happyinBCS
My statement was Why is the city buying and selling speculative real estate? So if the RE portfolio is 50 million or whatever and you make 2 million on this deal and lose 2 million on the next 2 you are at even money.

My position remains unchanged the city should NOT be in the speculative RE business.
Bob Yancy
All of the most exciting innovations originate from the private sector. Our country was built by free market entrepreneurs willing to risk capital. In so doing they create jobs and prosperity for anyone willing to work. Trust me, I'm an advocate for free market private sector enterprise, low taxation and eliminating burdensome regulation.

But given that the city owns these parcels already, isn't it best to divest this land at a fair market value to the private sector, so they can build and innovate and create jobs?
maroon barchetta
Those parcels, yes.

Chimney Hill, Macy's, and whatever else we haven't heard about, no.

The infeasible baseball complex land? Where does that fit?
Bob Yancy
Efforting as we speak, General. Please stand by.
happyinBCS
Well, the city finally filed an answer!
VAXMaster
AG
The city is taking the position that the government can do as they please, they have no obligation to honor contracts and there is nothing anyone can do about it. By refusing to pay their share of common area maintenance they are shifting those costs to the other business owners in the mall making it even less viable as a business location and thereby hastening the demise of the mall. So far they have accomplished
1. Paying millions of dollars above market for a building they dont need
2. Removing that building from the tax roles increasing the burden on the rest of us
3. Removing that building from the mall common area maintenance pool, shifting those costs to the people trying to run a business in the mall - effectively a tax increase for them.
4. Incurred legal fees for defending their right to act with impunity

The City of College Station needs new leadership.
maroon barchetta
VAXMaster said:

The city is taking the position that the government can do as they please, they have no obligation to honor contracts and there is nothing anyone can do about it. By refusing to pay their share of common area maintenance they are shifting those costs to the other business owners in the mall making it even less viable as a business location and thereby hastening the demise of the mall. So far they have accomplished
2. Removing that building from the tax roles increasing the burden on the rest of us
3. Removing that building from the mall common area maintenance pool, shifting those costs to the people trying to run a business in the mall - effectively a tax increase for them.

The city already has an attorney on staff so there are no additional legal fees.

Respectfully.
Stucco
Good luck with that public-private partnerships!
EliteElectric
[Give context if you are going to post a picture on this forum. -Staff]
WTM
maroon barchetta said:

The city already has an attorney on staff so there are no additional legal fees.

Respectfully.
Not speaking to this case specifically, but this is generally not factual. In Bryan and College Station, both the cities and the school districts have an attorney on staff who reviews documents for compliance and gives opinion on situations. However the entities rely on outside firms for litigation. They DO NOT use staff attorneys for litigation / trial work. They will work with the trial team on the research side and doc prep etc but make no mistake, when local government entities get involved in lawsuits, there are legal bills the tax payers end up footing.
doubledog
VAXMaster said:

#2... They are so afraid that a church would snatch up Macy's and take it off the tax role... See what happens if you do not think things through...
SMR
VAXMaster said:

The most accurate statement of this entire thread.
deh40
AG
SMR said:

VAXMaster said:

Might happen if people bothered to vote
VAXMaster
AG
deh40 said:

SMR said:

VAXMaster said:

Maybe, but only if there is a candidate on the ballot who isn't part of the clique and doesn't aspire to join.
techno-ag
AG
doubledog said:

VAXMaster said:

#2... They are so afraid that a church would snatch up Macy's and take it off the tax role... See what happens if you do not think things through...
Was there talk of a church moving in?
UmustBKidding
I was told by someone on the council how it would be a tragedy if a storage place was allowed to move in. They had no clue about land parking strategy that most storage places are executing.
hopeandrealchange
VAXMaster said:

deh40 said:

SMR said:

VAXMaster said:

Maybe, but only if there is a candidate on the ballot who isn't part of the clique and doesn't aspire to join.

It happened many years ago.
The people elected two engineers from the public sector. If my memory serves me right they were Swiki Anderson and Steve Edmond.
The city "Swamp" could not deal with real world solutions and common sense. They were both run out of office and tar and feathered.
UmustBKidding
Don't forget Dick Birdwell. He is the last good one on the council Ican remember. We need 3-4 like him desperately.
doubledog
techno-ag said:

Was there talk of a church moving in?
Quote:

Lease of faith: Why churches are going into malls

They are called "Strip Churches" and they are tax exempt.

https://www.retaildive.com/news/lease-of-faith-why-churches-are-going-into-malls/563465/#:~:text=Spaces%20once%20occupied%20by%20retailers,tenants%20to%20fill%20empty%20storefronts.&text=There%20was%20a%20time%20in,compared%20to%20a%20religious%20practice.
happyinBCS
still absolutely no reason for the City of CS to buy it and pay WAY more than market, but I guess they live in a world of if a commercial property goes on the market and you might think someone you don't like will buy it ,well then take taxpayer money and just buy it with no plans and in this case the inability to honor the contractual obligations of the purchase and that is why they are being sued

WTM
Follow an "off election" (so not many signatures are required) with a ballot amendment for single member districts. That would radically reshape the council, encourage citizens from all around the city to vote and give residents in all areas a voice on council.
Bob Yancy
Dick Birdwell was a great man.
happyinBCS
I looked back and found a direct quote.

"Recommendations from city manager Bryan Woods and Natalie Ruiz to acquire the property to control future development. "

Simply amazing what they do with OUR money,

Concerning the current litigation, I looked back and the seller was
West Valley JMYL LP
San Marcos CA

Southland title here closed the deal.

So the seller obviously had no problem with the maintenance fee that runs with the title to the property as does a lease. CBL is suing the city because the city claims it cannot pay to shared space. Maybe Southland title could shed some light I am sure there is title insurance.
dubi
AG
Quote:

"Recommendations from city manager Bryan Woods and Natalie Ruiz to acquire the property to control future development. "

Isn't the only future development on that defunct mall is to tear it down?
maroon barchetta
dubi said:

Quote:

Isn't the only future development on that defunct mall is to tear it down?

The city can save it (using other people's money).
EliteElectric
maroon barchetta said:

dubi said:

The city can save it (using other people's money).

OPM is easy to spend
happyinBCS
The mayor on WTAW was asked what are the plans for the Macys and he said

Oh, we are still hoping the university will locate E sports there.

We have to vote these people out. Please
taxpreparer
AG
He actually said they were stilll talking to A&M about e-sports, but there was an interest in a fitness center
(YMCA?) and he thought that would a great location.
phillytex24
can anybody tell me why the City of College Station would want to buy a store in the mall? I've never heard of a city buying a store in any mall.
91_Aggie
AG
phillytex24 said:

can anybody tell me why the City of College Station would want to buy a store in the mall? I've never heard of a city buying a store in any mall.
They heard rumors of some type of business they didn't want in there possibly buying it (or maybe it was a church that wanted to buy it).
techno-ag
AG
phillytex24 said:

From what I understand there's concern about aesthetics for gateways into the city. CoSta wants to maintain a bougie image, especially to visitors.
trouble
AG
techno-ag said:

phillytex24 said:

From what I understand there's concern about aesthetics for gateways into the city. CoSta wants to maintain a bougie image, especially to visitors.

They are currently failing.
techno-ag
AG
trouble said:

techno-ag said:

phillytex24 said:

Hey, at least they kept Walmart off the bypass. They lost the lawsuit over it, but they kept it off that exit.
maroon barchetta
trouble said:

techno-ag said:

phillytex24 said:

Have you seen the Instagram prop!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.