City Hall is asking! CS residents please weigh in!

6,284 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by spicyitalian
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What should city hall do, if anything, with the former site of the Texas Independence Ballpark? Leave the site abandoned? Dog park and frisbee course? City Hall is asking CS residents for feedback. Now is your chance to have your voice heard! See CS's Facebook page for link to survey.
My opinions are mine and should not be construed as those of city council or staff. I welcome robust debate but will cease communication on any thread in which colleagues or staff are personally criticized. I must refrain from comment on posted agenda items until after meetings are concluded. Bob Yancy 95
EriktheRed
AG
Mr Yancy, would there ever be a chance that the city would entertain the thought of a decent sized lake for fishing and kayak/canoe use? All of the water we have here is quite small and offer no real opportunities for water recreation. I would love to have something better than central park which is small, super shallow and very dirty. It seems like we could add a 10 acre lake to that site, and still have disc golf, dog park, RC track, etc, etc....

I may have missed it, but i don't recall anyone mentioning a larger body of water. What are the limitations that would prevent that from happening? Cost? Insurance? Proximity to landfill?
Bob Yancy
I'm sorry but I can't comment until after tomorrow night's meeting because it's a posted public meeting. The purpose of this post is to inform everyone that there is a meeting tomorrow and a survey to have your voice heard. I'll respond tomorrow night or thereafter. Thanks for the question!

Respectfully,

Bob Yancy '95
EriktheRed
AG
ah yes, I recall your "rules of engagement"

I appreciate you being here. Thanks!
91_Aggie
AG
You should put a click able link to the survey monkey thing instead of a .jpg
JMac03
AG
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/T8KDF9L
AggiePhil
AG
Survey says "park along Rock Prairie Road, south of William D. Fitch." Is that right? I thought this thing was going to be up closer to Baylor Scott & White (north of William D. Fitch).
CS78
How about we stop trying to dream up ways to spend tax money!
saturn135
Agree..something like Pflugerville city park. Small swim area, walking trails, fishing, etc.
tamufan
Well, the directions were provided by the entity in charge of soil samples
chickencoupe16
AG
AggiePhil said:

Survey says "park along Rock Prairie Road, south of William D. Fitch." Is that right? I thought this thing was going to be up closer to Baylor Scott & White (north of William D. Fitch).

On that note, isn't all of Rock Prairie north of Fitch?
PS3D
It is not. East of Highway 6 it goes southeast and eventually intersects with SH-40 at a four way stop.
nought
AG
Bob Yancy said:

What should city hall do, if anything, with the former site of the Texas Independence Ballpark? Leave the site abandoned? Dog park and frisbee course? City Hall is asking CS residents for feedback. Now is your chance to have your voice heard! See CS's Facebook page for link to survey.

Stop spending our tax dollars. Can we live without it? Yes? Problem solved.
chickencoupe16
AG
PS3D said:

It is not. East of Highway 6 it goes southeast and eventually intersects with SH-40 at a four way stop.

Don't know why I was remembering it teeing into Fitch...
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
tamufan said:

Well, the directions were provided by the entity in charge of soil samples

"We were supposed to get soil samples before building?"
- COCS
doubledog
CS78 said:

How about we stop trying to dream up ways to spend tax money!
How about a refund to the city coffers for the money already waisted at that site!
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
Lick Creek Park is ~2.9 miles from this property--no need for another park in this area.
Sell the property, pay down the city's non-voter approved "debt obligations," and move on.
BCS-Ag
Not a fan of this survey structure. It will leave way too much room for interpretation by elected officials to claim support for whatever they want. It's also frustrating that the questions changed AFTER I started, blanking all my input and forcing me to start over.

CS should consider using an external survey service like Bryan does (Polco). It verifies you are actually a citizen and they help with question structure to make it more "scientific".
aggie-1997
AG
BCS-Ag said:

Not a fan of this survey structure. It will leave way too much room for interpretation by elected officials to claim support for whatever they want. It's also frustrating that the questions changed AFTER I started, blanking all my input and forcing me to start over.

CS should consider using an external survey service like Bryan does (Polco). It verifies you are actually a citizen and they help with question structure to make it more "scientific".
Completely agree. I was very disappointed in the layout of the survey/questions and how slanted it felt. This has nothing to do with my support/objection to this project. Just agree the survey is providing results that can be widely open to interpretation.
MsDoubleD81
AG
What us the meeting tomorrow? Your original post says the meeting is Monday, October 30.
waterchick
MsDoubleD81 said:

What us the meeting tomorrow? Your original post says the meeting is Monday, October 30.
I was a little confused as well so I checked.

Wednesday October 25 at 5:30 PM is a public meeting to get input on baseball fields.

Monday October 30 at 5:30 PM is a meeting to discuss the future of Southeast Park (which was going to be Independence Ball Field)
MsDoubleD81
AG
Thank you.
Bob Yancy
The city owns a large tract in the floodplain. Not sure why. Were city hall ever to pursue your idea, that parcel would be better suited for it. Thanks for the feedback.
MeKnowNot
EriktheRed said:

Mr Yancy, would there ever be a chance that the city would entertain the thought of a decent sized lake for fishing and kayak/canoe use? All of the water we have here is quite small and offer no real opportunities for water recreation. I would love to have something better than central park which is small, super shallow and very dirty. It seems like we could add a 10 acre lake to that site, and still have disc golf, dog park, RC track, etc, etc....

I may have missed it, but i don't recall anyone mentioning a larger body of water. What are the limitations that would prevent that from happening? Cost? Insurance? Proximity to landfill?
Great news! Your request has been granted!

Town Lake Park includes a Pier/Kayak Launch off Bird Pond Road next to the YMCA/Restaurant. It's near the Great Lawn, directly across the lake from the Amphitheater.

https://www.midtowncitycenter.com/phases/town-lake-park

CS78
Bob Yancy said:

The city owns a large tract in the floodplain. Not sure why.

Bingo! That alone is reason enough to sell it.
UhOhNoAgTag
Is there still a public meeting on Monday? It appears you have edited this post and added a legal disclaimer.
UhOhNoAgTag
That project has fallen flat on its face.
Bob Yancy
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The baseball meeting happened last night. What to do with the former Texas Independence Ballpark site off Rock Prairie East is Monday at 5:30 pm at city hall.

Respectfully,

-yancy
UhOhNoAgTag
Thanks.
spicyitalian
AG
I'm fine with condemning the entire site and leave it go back to nature.
BCS-Ag
spicyitalian said:

Maye with some basic mountain biking of hiking trails through it that are maintained by clubs (not the city). Similar to the way Millican reserve does it...
woodiewood1
chickencoupe16 said:

AggiePhil said:

On that note, isn't all of Rock Prairie north of Fitch?
Nope.
AllTheFishes
BCS-Ag said:

spicyitalian said:

Maye with some basic mountain biking of hiking trails through it that are maintained by clubs (not the city). Similar to the way Millican reserve does it...
The mountain biking trails with a bike park idea was the best option presented.
angus55
A big giant I LOVE MIDTOWN DUMP sign for photo ops.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Will you be able to comment after the meeting? I thought it might be in Channel 19.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.