City Hall is asking! CS residents please weigh in!

6,283 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by spicyitalian
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes I can speak to it now.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Uh....it's MA'AM.
Bob Yancy
Very sorry ma'am! My mistake. Apologies
MsDoubleD81
AG
No worries. So, what was recommended, etc.
Bob Yancy
Here's my thoughts: If we don't finish out that land and utilize the existing infrastructure investments already made prior to discovering the soil problem, then approximately $4 million in taxpayer dollars are wasted. The thought of that angers me.

Conversely, if we find a use for it that a) utilizes the infrastructure and b) does so in a meaningful way that citizens will actually use and c) minimally impacts the city from an ongoing Operations & Maintenance (O&M) cost perspective, then ZERO dollars are wasted.

To me, that would be akin to kicking a 60 yard field goal as time expires to win a very messy football game. That's my goal. To win for the taxpayer.

To completely or mostly defray the cost of O&M, I'd like to involve the private sector. There's enough space for a co-located private sector amenity out there in addition to whatever we do.

Some of the ideas for what to do so far are:

Walking trails
Biking trails
Off road biking trails
Dog park
Frisbee course
Playground

If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Respectfully

-yancy
HWY6_RunsBothWays
AG
sunk-cost fallacy:
the phenomenon whereby a person is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial.
Hittag1492
AG
Bob Yancy said:

Here's my thoughts: If we don't finish out that land and utilize the existing infrastructure investments already made prior to discovering the soil problem, then approximately $4 million in taxpayer dollars are wasted. The thought of that angers me.

Conversely, if we find a use for it that a) utilizes the infrastructure and b) does so in a meaningful way that citizens will actually use and c) minimally impacts the city from an ongoing Operations & Maintenance (O&M) cost perspective, then ZERO dollars are wasted.

To me, that would be akin to kicking a 60 yard field goal as time expires to win a very messy football game. That's my goal. To win for the taxpayer.

To completely or mostly defray the cost of O&M, I'd like to involve the private sector. There's enough space for a co-located private sector amenity out there in addition to whatever we do.

Some of the ideas for what to do so far are:

Walking trails
Biking trails
Off road biking trails
Dog park
Frisbee course
Playground

If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Respectfully

-yancy

Bob,
Can you give a short overview of what all has been done so far at the property? Basically what work has been done and current status. That would help the public to determine possibilities and if it is worth doing anything at this time. Is this information posted in the requests put out for public feedback?
MsDoubleD81
AG
Or is this available through a records request from the city?
Bob Yancy
Very astute. Of course, the opposite of the Sunk Cost Fallacy is the Profitable Asset dynamic…Sunk costs and expenditures that CAN be refunded or returned, both of which ARE relevant to future decisions.

If the opportunity cost to complete a project offset sunk costs inside the asset's depreciation window, salvaging the project by completing it makes sense for the investor(s).

The trick is recognizing both and making the right decision at the fork in the road.

Respectfully,

-yancy
Hittag1492
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

Or is this available through a records request from the city?
Likely to some extent, but it would need to be boiled down to the basics and posted along with the request when asking for public feedback. Not mandatory, but would seem prudent when asking to get valid feedback from the general public who is unlikely to know the exact details on the project to date.

It wasn't a complaint btw-just asking for the info. It would be a good idea to add that info to any request as well. Maybe this has been done and I missed it-quite possible.
Bob Yancy
Approximately $4 million has been spent on design work and actual infrastructure. My intent and expectation is a portion of the design work be credited against future services by the design engineer who failed to identify the soils issue.

As for actual infrastructure, significant water lines, sanitary sewer line, power lines and storm sewer lines are already in the ground.

Additionally, a small foundation for a baseball concession stand is already in the ground and visible in the front center of the property where the soils are good. This could be repurposed as restrooms with drinking water amenities, a gateway entrance to whatever it becomes (if anything) or both- or something else unforeseen.

Respectfully
Hittag1492
AG
Bob Yancy said:

Approximately $4 million has been spent on design work and actual infrastructure. My intent and expectation is a portion of the design work be credited against future services by the design engineer who failed to identify the soils issue.

As for actual infrastructure, significant water lines, sanitary sewer line, power lines and storm sewer lines are already in the ground.

Additionally, a small foundation for a baseball concession stand is already in the ground and visible in the front center of the property where the soils are good. This could be repurposed as restrooms with drinking water amenities, a gateway entrance to whatever it becomes (if anything) or both- or something else unforeseen.

Respectfully
Thank you. That does help tremendously in thinking of options and maximizing what is already there.
Bob Yancy
It is but I've summarized below.
Hittag1492
AG
Bob Yancy said:

Respectfully
I vote for a top notch gun range tied in with a world class weapons training and hunting education facility. Partner with local/county/state/federal law enforcement and a few manufacturers (local Sig Sauer entity, VersaCarry, etc-all large manufacturers) and make it a destination site. BCS is a strong central location. Or just give it to the YMCA to use, lol.
taxpreparer
AG
Hittag1492 said:

I vote for a top notch gun range tied in with a world class weapons training and hunting education facility. Partner with local/county/state/federal law enforcement and a few manufacturers (local Sig Sauer entity, VersaCarry, etc-all large manufacturers) and make it a destination site. BCS is a strong central location. Or just give it to the YMCA to use, lol.

Scratch the YMCA use and this has my vote. A unique idea that is novel enough to attract conventions to the convention center the city council lusts for.
spicyitalian
AG
Hittag1492 said:

I really like the gun range idea. Even though I'd be hearing gunshots constantly, it's probably not any worse than dove season.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.