What's going on with the Amazon drones?

13,951 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by AggiePhil
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally drove by 400 Technology Parkway....I didn't realize it was so secure. You can't even see the facilities from the gate. None of the AMZ buildings that I have been to are that secure. It's very interesting to say the least.
Bullpen Chias
AG
The morning drone order is confirmed
Bullpen Chias
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

32 minute delivery time
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Still all Prime One Day for me. Guess I live on the wrong side of the tracks still.
doubledog
See google goggles... Nice idea, but ...
wareagle044
Bullpen Chias said:

Was it loud ?
Bullpen Chias
AG
You can definitely hear it from a 100 yards out.
Tookieclothespin
AG
ahhh, so it's people like you I can blame. dumb programs need people to adopt them after all.

my daughter completely freaks the f out every time we are outside and they zoom by. like epic meltdowns, flailing and screaming. What's worse is if i'm holding her, trying to get her in the car when they come. She's 2, so I guess it will pass.

she thinks they are giant bugs and I've never seen her react that way to an actual bug. fun times.
FJB
Tookieclothespin
AG
TyHolden said:

Finally drove by 400 Technology Parkway....I didn't realize it was so secure. You can't even see the facilities from the gate. None of the AMZ buildings that I have been to are that secure. It's very interesting to say the least.
probably because it's basically still r&d. but I like to think they know people like me absolutely hate the drones and they think we're dumb enough to do something about it besides whine online.

FJB
TyHolden
AG
Tookieclothespin said:

TyHolden said:

probably because it's basically still r&d. but I like to think they know people like me absolutely hate the drones and they think we're dumb enough to do something about it besides whine online.

Feel free to shoot one down. I won't tell.
Tookieclothespin
AG
Pass. but if I were on a jury for someone who did, I'd be a holdout.
FJB
Bullpen Chias
AG
Tookieclothespin said:

ahhh, so it's people like you I can blame. dumb programs need people to adopt them after all.

my daughter completely freaks the f out every time we are outside and they zoom by. like epic meltdowns, flailing and screaming. What's worse is if i'm holding her, trying to get her in the car when they come. She's 2, so I guess it will pass.

she thinks they are giant bugs and I've never seen her react that way to an actual bug. fun times.

Hope it passes.

What's dumb about it? Other than scaring the bejezus out of 2 year olds?
Tookieclothespin
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

Tookieclothespin said:

Hope it passes.

What's dumb about it? Other than scaring the bejezus out of 2 year olds?
Privacy.

Safety.

Nuisance.

We're also in year 10 of the drone transport *ReVoLuTiOn* and it's still limping along.

I'd like to know if anything is restricting them from flying over my home/yard, because they've been doing that and they need to "get off my lawn."

FJB
AggiePhil
AG
Tookieclothespin said:

I'd like to know if anything is restricting them from flying over my home/yard, because they've been doing that and they need to "get off my lawn."
Nope. Same as the other aircraft that fly over your yard.
Tookieclothespin
AG
AggiePhil said:

Tookieclothespin said:

Nope. Same as the other aircraft that fly over your yard.

There is zero chance that is 100% true as a blanket statement. For one, they have to stay out of the airspace occupied by manned aircraft. Property rights also extend up to a certain height as well. How are they getting around this and who gets to decide they can utilize airspace owned by private citizens? I assume since they're commercial they've gotten around the requirements for human spotters?

I think it's safe to say I have more questions than you could answer.

My assumption is that Amazon snuck something into their t&c for use of prime.
FJB
Bullpen Chias
AG
Their trucks have been rumbling loudly by your house. And spewing toxic emissions into your airspace...
Tookieclothespin
AG
Oh aren't you funny.

Hahahahahahahahajajahahahahhajahahahjahhabarf

The comparison isn't even remotely the same and you know it.

Streets are public, my backyard is not.
FJB
Bullpen Chias
AG
If it landed in your backyard, you'd have a complaint. If we're talking air above your backyard, good luck.
trouble
AG
go do a search for it on the outdoor board. There's lots of good info over there.
Tookieclothespin
AG
The problem is incursion of property rights. But agreed on the "good luck" remark. It would take some kid getting smashed by a falling drone or for a wildfire to start (oh wait that's already happened) for anyone on here to give a crap and Amazon would just move on and have legal do cleanup.

https://fortune.com/2022/09/02/amazon-walmart-drone-faa-delivery-property-law-tech-troy-rule/amp/
FJB
lawless89
Just saw a drone delivery in person while cruising through my neighborhood with the kids on Nunn Jones. Kinda crazy to see in person! I'll have to sign up for this since I know it comes to my neighborhood.
amdee28
Tookieclothespin said:

My 2 year old loves them. We've seen a few flying over Sandstone Park and she's always fascinated by them. Now she asks to go to "drone park" a lot. Hopefully the phase passes quickly for y'all!
MS08
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

Gotten three deliveries in last 24 hours...

My little guy loves the drones. We hear them and spot them and he comes running out. I see a number of them in my neck of the woods, but I am trying to figure out how to register for the drone delivery option. Can you help me point me in the right direction? Tooled around on the Amazon site but did not have any luck.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Communication isn't a strong suit here, but try emailing homeservices@amazon.com
spike427
AG
I got an email from Prime Air indicating I'll be eligible to use the service in the near future!
AggiePhil
AG
spike427 said:

I got an email from Prime Air indicating I'll be eligible to use the service in the near future!

I got an email from them today saying I won't be. Despite them doing the site survey over a year ago, giving us the QR code LZ, etc.
spike427
AG
AggiePhil said:

spike427 said:

I got an email from them today saying I won't be. Despite them doing the site survey over a year ago, giving us the QR code LZ, etc.

Well, boo! That's a bummer.
dubi
AG
We also received an email that service would be in the future.
phillytex24
Are they only doing this rollout in wealthy neighborhoods? The future is drones. Nothing gonna stop it.
Thisguy1
I was over near Emerald Forest Friday and they were all over the place.
ClintW
Signing up is easy (assuming you are within their delivery zone). Just add the free yard survey to your Amazon cart. You can choose a time and date during checkout.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0BLWD22KW

AggiePhil
AG
Quote:

This service is currently available only in eligible locations across Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah. We are working on adding new locations. Please check back soon.
thisisnotkathy
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I was over near Emerald Forest Friday and they were all over the place.
Now that the weather has finally cooled a bit it's actually available to select. They are also doing some promotional offers for a free item (at least I've been getting offers) which I'm sure is increasing the number.
EBrazosAg
AG
That link let me sign up for a yard survey. Then 24 hr later a email saying I wasn't in the allowed area. So don't start partying when it lets you schedule a survey ….. just saying.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG

Quote:

Amazon will soon make prescription drugs fall from the sky when the e-commerce giant becomes the latest company to test drone deliveries for medications.

The company said Wednesday that customers in College Station, Texas, can now get prescriptions delivered by a drone within an hour of placing their order.

The drone, programed to fly from a delivery center with a secure pharmacy, will travel to the customer's address, descend to a height of about four meters or 13 feet and drop a padded package.

Amazon says customers will be able to choose from more than 500 medications, a list that includes common treatments for conditions like the flu or pneumonia, but not controlled substances.
Read more: https://apnews.com/article/amazon-drones-prescription-deliveries-e258b418f2806098de1fba17069b9fe4
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.