What's going on with the Amazon drones?

13,133 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by AggiePhil
scs2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live pretty close to the takeoff and landing site. A few weeks ago I saw five or six flying back and forth but since then, none. Did they pause the program? Anyone here signed up for the trial?
AggiePhil
AG
There have been a few threads. Several of us are signed up but have heard nothing. Appears they had to pump the breaks on the rollout due to logistical issues. Who knows if and when it will progress further.
maroon barchetta
Let me know when we live in Jetsons world.
Belton Ag
AG
OK will do.

We live in Jetsons world.
Russell Bradleys Toupee
dallasiteinsa02
I know everyone disputes it but I still think it was a marketing gimmick that they had not intention of actually doing.
TyHolden
AG
This is from the original California location.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/18/23728528/amazon-prime-air-drone-delivery-jeff-bezos

Quote:

Amazon had projected in January it would send 10,000 deliveries to customers via its fleet of flying robots by the end of 2023. It started off slow, with a report in February saying that it had served fewer than 10 households. But the pace doesn't seem to have picked up.

scs2001
AG
Strange! There was one weekend when they were flying back and forth, and I even saw one descend in a yard down the street. Maybe they were testing.
MS08
AG
Saw three active in Emerald Forest 3 weeks ago or so but have not seen since
AggiePhil
AG
scs2001 said:

Strange! There was one weekend when they were flying back and forth, and I even saw one descend in a yard down the street. Maybe they were testing.

The whole thing is one big test.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
They are caught up in FAA regulations, right?

I had heard they cannot fly across roads without human spotters, so that drastically limits the number of houses they can deliver to.
techno-ag
AG
We're such a poor area, as per the other thread, no one can afford their stuff to be delivered by drone.
TyHolden
AG
techno-ag said:

We're such a poor area, as per the other thread, no one can afford their stuff to be delivered by drone.
with the economy tanking, they're probably holding off. aws let go 10% of their staff in the last year.
VAXMaster
AG
Looks like they are still hiring, several drone pilot and flight engineer jobs posted at 408 Technology Parkway (behind the Mercedes dealership), that's the Amazon drone site isn't it?

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=f0820b879c0bf20e
Bullpen Chias
AG
Gotten three deliveries in last 24 hours...

AggiePhil
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

Gotten three deliveries in last 24 hours...

Whereabouts do you live? We're part of the test program, but I have yet to see "drone delivery" as an option for anything we've ordered.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Bird Pond. Look mornings. Friday-Sun
The heat seems to be shutting down operations in the afternoon.

You may also already be using this, but product offerings (when drone is operating) are at
Amazon.com/collegestation
AggiePhil
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

Bird Pond. Look mornings. Friday-Sun
The heat seems to be shutting down operations in the afternoon.
Not needing to see anything, just asking because I'm down off Greens Prairie, part of the test program, and have yet to see a drone delivery option for anything we've ordered.
EBrazosAg
AG
Density altitude gets over 3500' in pm as hot as it has been. Plus those batteries don't like heat. Probably decreases weight capacity by 25% or more and makes performance (climb rate especially) an issue. I guess Denver and Amarillo will never have the miracle of drone delivery
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Delivery 1: 58 mins
Delivery 2: 17 mins
Delivery 3: 27 mins
AggiePhil
AG
Can you show us what it looks like on Amazon when an item is available for drone delivery?
TyHolden
AG
Wait until they weaponize them….
Bullpen Chias
AG
AggiePhil said:

Can you show us what it looks like on Amazon when an item is available for drone delivery?

Bullpen Chias
AG
AggiePhil said:

Drone service is active and working as of 8am this morning:
Amazon.com/collegestation
AggiePhil
AG
Unfortunately, when I visit that URL, it says:
Quote:

Drone delivery is not available
You can continue shopping from the categories below or visit Amazon homepage. You will see the fastest delivery option for your location at checkout.
Bullpen Chias
AG
AggiePhil said:

Unfortunately, when I visit that URL, it says:
Quote:

Drone delivery is not available
You can continue shopping from the categories below or visit Amazon homepage. You will see the fastest delivery option for your location at checkout.

What time did you first visit there today?
AggiePhil
AG
Now and when I last posted at 4:34 PM.
Bullpen Chias
AG
AggiePhil said:

You must have missed the part where I said "order in the morning". The drones are shutting down in the heat. They have essentially not been running after noon.
Bullpen Chias
AG
AggiePhil said:

Your daily alert the drones are operating - order early!
AggiePhil
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

AggiePhil said:

Must be location dependent. Again, we're part of the program, but whenever I visit the URL you linked, the message says drone delivery not available. They must be keeping it really close to the warehouse for now.
Bullpen Chias
AG
AggiePhil said:

Bullpen Chias said:

AggiePhil said:

Must be location dependent. Again, we're part of the program, but whenever I visit the URL you linked, the message says drone delivery not available. They must be keeping it really close to the warehouse for now.

Could be. But also make sure when the link takes you there, you are signed in.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Well dangit. When I go to that site none of the options are drone. It's all Prime One Day but no drone options. I have the QR mat and everything, have for like 9 months
spike427
AG
When I tried going to that address, it didn't even say anything about Prime Air/drones. I'm on the wrong side of the highway.
Bullpen Chias
AG
spike427 said:

When I tried going to that address, it didn't even say anything about Prime Air/drones. I'm on the wrong side of the highway.

It doesn't operate Tue and Wed at this time.
AggiePhil
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

spike427 said:

It doesn't operate Tue and Wed at this time.

LOL or anytime but early morning. Or when it's hot outside. Or if the delivery address is too far away. This program is a joke!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.