What's the best and worst restaurant you've been to in Bryan/College Station?

24,770 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Thisguy1
ChampsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Such a wide range to choose an overall best and worst.

Agree with Juanita's. It just wasn't good and not an enjoyable experience, especially for the price.

Always good for me is Taco Crave. Never had a bad meal there and the owner David is salt of the earth.

The old Ninfas is overpriced and not good.

Casa de Brazil has been most consistently good in my opinion.

Azure for sushi. I think it's still open.

Need to try Marfa's.
KidDoc
AG
lethalninja said:

How's Saltgrass? I still haven't been.
As already mentioned they suffered some during the post COVID era with a limited menu, especially for fish. We went a few weeks ago and my fish with lump crab was fantastic. Post COVID they just had salmon now they have a few more options.

Their portions are always crazy big as well, easy to make 2 meals out of almost all the entrees.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
halibut sinclair
ChampsAg said:

The old Ninfas is overpriced and not good.

Disagree. We have been to Maria Mia many times and never had a bad meal.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
trouble said:

Best: Primrose Path

Worst: Willie's. Everything tasted like grease and salt.
There's another foodie thread running around here that will tell you that is the good, if not great, stuff!
dubi
AG
Quote:

We have been to Maria Mia many times and never had a bad meal.
What dishes are your favorite? We are planning to try it.
Dustoff00
AG
Just had the Crawfish enchiladas for lunch the other day and they were great. Wife had the Brisket quesadilla and it was very good, as well. Beef Fajitas were OK...
ChampsAg
Happy for you. Been multiple times and never had a good meal
jbones
AG
Koppe Bridge - more than terrible
This was one of my favorite places when I was in school. I went today. Burgers are now preformed patties it was cold and tasted awful. The fries were cold and not salted. They were chewy like they had been sitting out all day. The Texas toothpicks the jalapeños were fried in one big clump with uncooked batter and burnt pieces all in the same bite.

I still feel a little sick after eating the little bit I did before throwing it in the trash and leaving.
Tibbers
I know it's a hotel but the Campfire Restaurant at the Stella Hotel continually serves up some of the best food in Bryan. Their Steak au Poivre is one of my favorite dishes in Brazos County and their service and bar is top notch. It's a great date night with the lake lit up at night.
phatpat21
Who can we talk to about Koppe Bridge and see what's going on? I guess we haven't been in awhile but it has always been one of my favorites, so it's so disappointing to hear SO MANY bad reviews of it lately on this board.
Buford T. Justice
AG
My all-time favorite was the Texan. (The best)
Currently, I think that the best is Christopher's.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Tibbers
I'm sure that land is valuable. Perhaps that's the play here?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I won't get into worst restaurants because I feel bad trashing a small business on an open message board. So I'll just mention places like.

Chimys: consistency is great here, very underrated food especially the burgers

Maria Mias: Only been once but I really liked it.

Harvey Washbangers: Great burgers

Fish Daddys: Solid food and generous portions

Marfa: Only been a couple times but both were great

Casa do Brasil : obviously very pricey, special occasions only but I love it

Saltgrass: Ya it's a chain, and their service sometimes isn't great but the food is good and consistent and doesn't break the bank
EBrazosAg
AG
I think that's a good take except I never do Chimys. The Maria Mia haters have not tried it since the early days or we just disagree.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JMac03
AG
I've eaten there once and enjoyed it. We got the sliders.
Tumble Weed
Christopher's is still just a little bit better than the rest.

There are many places that I will skip a meal instead of eating there. In this competitive environment, capitalism usually takes them out in a couple of years.
Tibbers
While I agree Christopher's is incredible, but the ambience at the Stella Hotel blows Christopher's out of the water imo. Sitting by the fire at night in their large patio, the beautiful lights around the lake, and my God, that steak is a better dish than the steaks found even at the Republic.

It's wonderful to know that we can support such amazing restaurants here in the Brazos Valley, but I'm telling you guys, go nab that Steak au Poivre from the Stella. You will not be disappointed.
cypress-ag
AG
Reading through this message and it's interesting the opinions and flavor profiles that people like or don't like in BCS. I had a 16-year career working for a Texas based restaurant but never in the kitchens. I appreciate anyone that tries to bring a better end dining experience to this city. The challenge is always food cost and service. To offer Dallas/Houston/Austin experiences and the food is close but the overall dining experience lacks as we have a limited number of folks that want to be waiters.

The Juanita's hate I don't get but I get Shrimp Tacos and a Rita and it never disappoints. Love Napa Flats as it's consistent as hell and the service for the most part is well trained. i think the owners of Napa own Le Petite Chucon and I've waited to try it but will give it a go. Marfa food is always good, service is so so. Ronin's is the same. BCS has a lot of good places but not a great place, but again my opinion.

Worst meal - Jose's - the blandest food outside of my high school cafeteria. Hot sauce was watered down tomato sauce.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
milner79 said:

I've never had a bad meal at Gate 12. Maybe not over-the-top five-star, but never bad. And I enjoy the atmosphere.

Its nice ... if I have three hours for lunch.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Gate 12 is a great concept but while the food is decent it's not part of a best restaurants in town list for me personally.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Gate 12 is a great concept but while the food is decent it's not part of a best restaurants in town list for me personally.
I've been one time. Service was meh. I ordered a blackened bacon wrapped filet. It was not good. I was extremely surprised, because I really like the steaks a J. Cody's. I've chalked it up as an off night and intend to go back.
EriktheRed
AG
Le Petit Cochon is definitely worth checking out. Nothing else like it town, and we really enjoy it. Be advised, it is RICH (as it should be, its French) and the portions are quite generous.
cypress-ag
AG
EriktheRed said:

Le Petit Cochon is definitely worth checking out. Nothing else like it town, and we really enjoy it. Be advised, it is RICH (as it should be, its French) and the portions are quite generous.
Wife's Birthday is coming up in mid march so I think we will make that the place to go!
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Christopher's is still our favorite, but we have gone to Le Petit Cochon a few times and really like it. It is a really nice experience.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Best
Christophers
Taste of Nawlins
Casa Do Brazil
Shiraz
Taz
Sodaleks
trackside Kolaches

Uncle Bug
AG
Where can I find seafood here that's NOT cajun or sushi or Long John Silvers? Say you had a hungry for some oysters, shrimp, or lobster tail.
damiond
poches had a fresh selection of oysters from the north east coast and they were very good eats but got a bit small towards the end of season

mos is on my naughty list for some of the worst service including overcharging which happened repetitiously that i figured it was on purpose
trouble
AG
That's the one thing we're missing.
histag10
AG
That is one of my 3 least favorite restaurants. I wish our experience had been better, but it was pretty bad. It started when the server dropped the melted raclette on the table, then scooped it up and put it back on my plate and walked off. Ended with a steak (ordered medium rare) being sent back twice for being severely overcooked. For the amount of money we spent, I would never go back. But the duck was phenomenal.
CN
The absolute best food around was China Garden in Bryan. It's been so long (early 2000's) that I'm not 100% sure that was the name. It was located a block or two north of Villa Maria off Texas Ave. I never understood how they stayed in business for so long because whenever I'd go get takeout, there would be almost no one there dining but it was the best Chinese food I'd ever had then and would argue I've ever had to this day. I was disappointed but not surprised when they finally closed.
BaronDeBishopville
You must be talking about China Wok. I too thought it was pretty good, probably went through the drive thru once a month for 5 or 6 years. Never got a look through the drive thru window to see, much less take a picture, of the counter area and a rat.
Brazos1865
AG
China Garden was on Dellwood, one block north of Villa Maria off Texas, behind Soundwaves. This is now the lot off Dellwood where Walgreens sits.

The building used to be Mr. Ghatti's Pizza before China Garden.

Definitely outstanding food.
Rexter
[We have made it clear that we are not going to allow unsubstantiaded rumors on this board and your post was over the line of decency. -Staff]
EliteElectric
I loved China Garden, it was always packed for lunch buffet but never at night. Didn't the owner get involved in a love triangle then Hari Kari herself?
CN

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.