What's the best and worst restaurant you've been to in Bryan/College Station?

24,816 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Thisguy1
ags4rocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Best: Republic-For Nice!!
Mexican Food-Maria Mia's - been solid lately!
Italian- Luigi/Amico Nave
Newcomer- Marfa's
Taco Place- Fuego/Torchys
Burger-Hop Doddy/Koppe Bridge
Sushi- Blue Fin
BBQ- Coopers
Pizza not delivery RX

Worst-
[Give a reason. -Staff]
KALALL
AG
How has [Give a reason. -Staff]

Christopher's is my favorite good restaurant in BCS. I eat at Cast Iron Bistro in Calvert more than any place in BCS though.
Bunk Moreland
1775 is by far the best bbq in the area and a top 5 B/CS restaurant.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I think that there is something to be said about Christopher's and its long-standing quality food and experience. Christopher does one thing and does it really well.
KidDoc
AG
ags4rocks said:

Best: Republic-For Nice!!
Mexican Food-Maria Mia's - been solid lately!
Italian- Luigi/Amico Nave
Newcomer- Marfa's
Taco Place- Fuego/Torchys
Burger-Hop Doddy/Koppe Bridge
Sushi- Blue Fin
BBQ- Coopers
Pizza not delivery RX

Worst-
Man I gotta disagree about Saltgrass- we went last week and my flounder with lump crab meat was awesome and enough for 2 meals. And the Tito's texas tea was on point.

I haven't been to Juanita's in months but I loved it, looks like it may have slid downhill.

I agree with Maria Mia's- those crawfish enchiladas are great!

I want to add So Fly Chicken as a suprisingly good fast food place. I generally rarely eat fast food but it is interesting.

Also want to add Le Petit Couchan as a great restaurant.

As far as ones I don't like I would say whataburger sucks now, 1860 is just too loud for me to really enjoy it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ags4rocks
Ok I'll give you the Saltgrass comment.. haven't been to saltgrass in over a year… I'll also say Le Petit Cochan is pretty decent… it could be added to the newcomer list!
TyHolden
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

I think that there is something to be said about Christopher's and its long-standing quality food and experience. Christopher does one thing and does it really well.
this x 100000
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
I miss Cenare's. Crab Gnocchi

Current Fav probably Primrose. Food artistry

Biggest disappointment in 2022 probably 3rd & Main. (But I know others that like it fine)
Dang, don't understand the Juanita's hate (although the price is a little absurd), it's actually one of my favorite places to eat, but we usually just get queso, empanadas and enchiladas.

It's 100x better than whatever that was that was in that spot before.
aggiepaintrain
AG
No mention of TADS?
FJB
KidDoc
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

No mention of TADS?
I haven't been in a while but always very meh to me as a Cajun. I prefer walk ons, remnant, or even razoos. The etouffe at walk ons this week was pretty good with a few dashes of Tabasco.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Thisguy1
What's the one thing they do really well? We used to get gift cards from work so we went and never liked it. We also went for Prom in HS years ago and weren't fans.

We love The Republic though.
Thisguy1
Best: The Republic
Worst: Wings & More

There's obviously places worse than Wings but I'm using worst as overrated. Can't tell you the last time we've gone and not received extremely overcooked wings and/or tenders and it seems like every time we go in it's more expensive than the last. They have an underrated burger though and we'll always go for the atmosphere and Big Willies.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

As of today, and this is a moving target. Considering g overall experience and value.
Best: 1860
Worst: Republic. Drinks are great, entrees are extremely disappointing

I've said it before, if The Republic was in Houston or Dallas I don't think they'd stay in business. I just think the steak and food are very mediocre
milner79
I've never had a bad meal at Gate 12. Maybe not over-the-top five-star, but never bad. And I enjoy the atmosphere.
Wicked Good Ag
Thisguy1 said:

What's the one thing they do really well? We used to get gift cards from work so we went and never liked it. We also went for Prom in HS years ago and weren't fans.

We love The Republic though.

The blacken shrimp and crawfish fondue is still one of the best things to eat in BCS
although the price has gone up quite a bit more than typical food with inflation/Covid price points
dubi
AG
lethalninja said:

Have you had the chicken fried steak from Ronin? I heard it's really good (I know someone who had it, and they said it was worth the $25).
I had the CFS at Ronin on Wednesday and it was very good!
bobinator
AG
Best: this is gonna sound weird because it's not the "best" in any sort of competition or fancy culinary sense but I have never once regretted getting tacos at la familia at Barron and 6. Their Dallas taco and barbacoa just hit the spot. One of the only things in town I find myself craving if it's been too long.

Runner up shoutout to breakfast sandwiches at The Village. Bacon Jammy Sammy is straight up one of the best things on any menu in town

Worst that's still open: [Give a reason. -Staff]
maroon barchetta
Quit telling people about La Familia. The line is long enough.
Bunk Moreland
Yall keep going to La Familia. Definitely don't go to Mi Familia Coco Loco. Just avoid it completely.
91_Aggie
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

No mention of TADS?
Tads quickly got on our "never going there again" list.
gave 'em three chances...

last chance I ordered Fried catfish that seemed like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for 3 hours... soggy and rubbery.
bobinator
AG
I've heard that's good but it doesn't have a drive thru right? Im usually grabbing tacos to bring back to the house and have at least one of the kids in the back seat.
Bunk Moreland
bobinator said:

I've heard that's good but it doesn't have a drive thru right? Im usually grabbing tacos to bring back to the house and have at least one of the kids in the back seat.

No but I usually call it in so it's less than 2 minutes in and out once I arrive.
studioone
I guess none of you have tried Le Petit Cochon yet, cause it'll kick The Republics, Ronins, 1775 and whoever else butt any day...
91_Aggie
AG
studioone said:

I guess none of you have tried Le Petit Cochon yet, cause it'll kick The Republics, Ronins, 1775 and whoever else butt any day...

That seems like a negative review of Republic, Ronin and 1775 with no reason given.

BANA89
AG
Bests (in order of how often we want to go, even if we don't for whatever reason): Caso do Brazil, Urban Table, Remnant of Nawlins, Koppe Bridge, Naked Fish, Wings N More, Kamei Sushi

Worst: 1860 (way too noisy, though mildly better after they spread the tables out a bit)
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
sirhc
AG
Sorry just seeing this! Yes, and it was very good!
Robert L. Peters
One of the consistently best places? Harvey Washbangers

Worst? There a place in downtown Bryan that is always listed as the "best" but I've never had a good meal there. Service is bad and food is bad. I dare not mention the name.
lethalninja
How's Dave's Hot Chicken (apparently Drake is a major investor in the chain)? My mom's friend said the food was too salty. Is that true?
MiMi
S
lethalninja said:

How's Dave's Hot Chicken (apparently Drake is a major investor in the chain)? My mom's friend said the food was too salty. Is that true?
I've only eaten there once, but liked it. I tried both the Mild and the Medium. The medium was a bit too hot for me. The mild seemed more like a medium level of heat. They also have a Light Mild (and a No Spice). My teenaged daughter loves it and grabs takeout from there at least once a week. My husband is not a Nashville Hot - style fan, so he doesn't have a favorable opinion.
davido
AG
Is it like Hattie Bs or Gus's? Love both of those. Not a fan of The Cookshack though. It's like all heat and no taste. Tried it a few times and really disappointed.
MiMi
S
davido said:

Is it like Hattie Bs or Gus's? Love both of those. Not a fan of The Cookshack though. It's like all heat and no taste. Tried it a few times and really disappointed.
I've never been to either Hattie Bs or Gus's, so I can't really compare. I have been to Cookshack a couple of times, but have only tried the mild seasoning, since I've also heard it's all heat. The flavor profile is a lot stronger, and the tenders are a lot bigger, at Dave's.
lethalninja
How's Saltgrass? I still haven't been.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
lethalninja said:

I liked it. Will go back
BANA89
AG
lethalninja said:

How's Saltgrass? I still haven't been.

Saltgrass is good and instantly became our top mid-priced steak place after it opened. However, my wife and I both feel like it has dropped off a bit after the pandemic. For one it seems like they have stopped searing the meat during cooking and it's taken some of the taste away. At least that is our preferred taste, though if we specifically ask that it be seared well we like it better. Still we tend to go less to Saltgrass less often now that Casa do Brazil is open to service in the bar or patio for regular steak choices as an alternative to the full experience.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.